Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 04:07 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times

Advertisements

Bonjour Pam!

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in?

London, where I lived, worked and studied. It is bigger than NYC, where I have also stayed.

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)?

Plenty of small towns come to mind. As a kid I lived in a small town in the Cotswolds in England. Our telephone number had three digits. Milk was delivered by horse and cart, though this was the early 1970s!

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal?

Loads!

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in?

The house we had in the Cotswolds was pretty small.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it.

Not lived, but worked- many bases including USAF Upper Heyford where I was at the Aeronautical Medical Unit. Visited many military medical units.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel?

Yes, on road trips in the US.

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? Nope.

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)?

Its on a small made up track within our very small village. It is also a cul de sac, and for most of the year the only vehicles that use it are for deliveries to our house, so very very quiet.

What is the speed limit on your street?

In theory 50km/h, around 30mph, but you would be silly to drive that quickly.

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home?

Yes, but no-one does, except visitors.

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose?

Not bothered.

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot?

I got out the elevator on the wrong floor at a car park at London's Heathrow airport and it took a few minutes to realise my mistake!

Merci Pam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 04:33 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? Chicago, for visits

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? Middleton TN , pop 600, for visits. I'm sure I've been to many that are smaller, but I can't recall those names

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? Yes, see above

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? 850ft postwar starter home, oops, amend that to a small
travel trailer that was parked on a mobile home lot in FL, was there for almost a year

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. Other than being born on a Navy base, no

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Sure, I used to travel a fair amount when I was younger. I also spent most of one summer traveling for work, saw very little of my own home. I enjoyed the long respite from doing my own cooking and cleaning.

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? Not THAT lost, but I have asked for directions at a gas station before.
The worst was when my husband gave me directions but forgot to mention that one of the streets changed names/ didn't directly connect at a crossroad. I wasn't aware it was the 'same' street and got so lost. His excuse was that 'everyone knew' they were the same road, why didn't I? SMH

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? When I first moved it was a quiet road near the outskirts of town that doesn't really go anywhere. A few years later they built an apartment complex nearby and a lot of the residents now use my street as a shortcut to avoid the busier street they front. It's a pain and may cause me to move further out if traffic keeps increasing.

What is the speed limit on your street? 25mph, unless you just don't feel like it, judging by real traffic

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? Not on the street, way too narrow.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...27-nhood4.html

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? Angle parking all the way, I'm not coordinated enough to have ever mastered parallel parking.

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? I've had a couple vehicles that stood out in any parking lot, but I've also had some that were so non descript that I've walked right past them without realizing it in a parking lot. I've done my share of walking around and hitting the alarm button hoping to hear my car horn so I can find the darn thing.

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet.
thx

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-31-2023 at 04:51 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 04:39 AM

1,364 posts, read 611,485 times
Greetings, everyone! Scroll on down to see what I came up with for

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Mornin'

What is the largest city you've ever been in? Tokyo

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? Been to many little hamlets and tiny towns, but the one that stands out was one we stopped by in NM in the middle of nowhere. It had a house here, there, and over there but it had a big store selling souvenirs and Native American pots, dreamcatchers, jewelry, water, snacks and other stuff. Stopped by and bought a few things.

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? When we first got the house in upstate NY there was only a flashing red light right before a bridge leading into town. When we had family in friends over for the first time the directions were get off the NYST exit, go fifty miles and make a right at the flashing light and continue........................

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? A tiny one room apartment with 3 people living in it. The bathroom so small the shower was hard to bend and wash your feet, the toilet and the sink can be compared to dollhouse size. It was all we could afford at the time.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? No If so, tell us about it.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Yes.

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? Can't recall being stranded, but when lost we would look for a gas station.

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? One is on a quiet street the other in a rural road that till 2 years ago was a dirt road.

What is the speed limit on your street? Both 15 MPH.

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? Yes. Homeowners need permit for overnight parking, which I think it's good.

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? Parallel.

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? Before I had my mango color X-terra never, it was a standout. Now that I have a white Jeep I do sometimes cause it seems there's an overabundance of white Jeeps around parking lots here, when I can't find mine I press the "panic button" on the car's FOB and easily find it with the beeping, a very handy tool for old people. I see now that Fiat owns Jeep they have come out with very nice colors, including the mango color I saw a few weeks ago that made me go ummmm.

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet.

THX, PJS.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:21 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

London (thanks to Jezer for not making me google the population of NYC and London)

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)?

Fallbrook, PA population 0. It's a ghost town.

around here, more that don't than do.

894 sf

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it.
nope

sure

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone?
yup

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)?
guess it'd be considered rural, just goes in a circle

some think 15ph, some think 40mph. The latter have good breaks

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? temporarily

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose?

yup. Han my 2004 light gray Matrix for 15+yrs. After the ins company totalled it, I spen about 20 minutes in walmart parking lot looking for it

thanks, pj

Old 01-31-2023, 05:45 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? I don't know about the largest city,but Berlin and other cities

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? I don't remember the tiny town in Quebec

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? I don't remember,maybe when little

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? My first small apartment

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. I only visited a Canadian military base years ago for a graduation ceremony

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Yes very long ago while traveling throughout Canada

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? No I always carried with me maps,but may have asked a local on the street

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? It is a very quiet country road

What is the speed limit on your street? Maximum speed is 50 km/h

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? No the country road is narrow and no parking is allowed

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? I dislike parking on a busy street

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? No

Thank you Pammy

Old 01-31-2023, 06:19 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times

----- Depends how they define "city" Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Mexico

----- Cape Race, Newfoundland, the only resident was the lighthousekeeper. Ladoga, WI for a real town.

----- Lived in 5 of them.

----- Efficiency apt with hide-a-bed.

----- I used to commute through one

----- Hundreds

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone?
------ I'm still before the cellphone, and Yes, and they knew the way, needed no phone.

----- streets not visible from my place. Accessfrom busy street

----- no idea, I don't drive

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home?
----- n/a

----- n/a

----- Yes, Royals stadium, KC

Old 01-31-2023, 06:24 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? Los Angeles or Chicago.

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? One by me, 300 population.

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? Yes

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? I don’t know dimensions but it was small, only five rooms.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. Yes, husband was in the Navy for four years.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Yes

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? No

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? Quiet street.

What is the speed limit on your street? Not sure.

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? Yes but everyone has a garage.

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? Angle

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? Yes

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet.[/b]

Thank you!

Old 01-31-2023, 06:31 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Having been a long haul trucker I’ve been to many larger cities. NYC, Dallas, L.A., Chicago, Philadelphia, just not sure which is the ‘larger’ of those.
I actually lived in a town similar to that. Only 2 traffic lights.
I’ve never lived in military base but have been to a few, having family in the marines and army.
Since I travel a lot yes I’ve spent a night or two or three in hotels.
On our street many residents park on the street. We refuse to live in HOA where that isn’t allowed. We have toys and that would be a problem.
Happy Tuesday ~~~

Old 01-31-2023, 08:20 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? I guess Atlanta, Ga.

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? I guess Waverly, Ky., where I lived

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? Several

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? 400 sq. ft.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. My wife worked on an Army base so I'd drive down to see here occasionally

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? More times than I can count

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? Nope. I'd stop at a gas station or grocery

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? In between a busy and quiet street. lol I live within 6 blocks of all 3 schools in our school system. So every morning and every afternoon are pretty busy

What is the speed limit on your street? Supposedly 25. lol

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? Yup

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? Angle, any time

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? Nope. But I have a friend who is thankful for that alarm on the key fob. lol

Old 01-31-2023, 08:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? New York

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? Fiddletown, California, population 235.

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? Many, in fact there were none i our city of 65,000 had none when we first moved here, when it had only 30,000 people. Now there are about 8.

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? The first we bought, 1,070 sf, 2 bedrooms 1 bath.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. No, but I have eaten breakfast on an Aircraft Carrier.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Probably over 100 times, most recently 8 nights at 7 different ones on a road trip in October.

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? No

Very quiet street, which looks rural with ditches (no sidewalks) and 100' trees.

What is the speed limit on your street? 25 MPH

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? Yes, but in the entire city no longer than 72 hours in the same spot (not enforced).

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? Angle.

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? No, at huge lots like the airports I will take a picture of the space marking before leaving the car. Now there is the key fob button that toots the horn and lights on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics