Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:28 PM

44,388 posts, read 20,113,945 times

Advertisements

Greetings, everyone! Scroll on down to see what I came up with for

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in?

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)?

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal?

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in?

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel?

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone?

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)?

What is the speed limit on your street?

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home?

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose?

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot?

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:41 PM

21,592 posts, read 8,759,815 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

New York City.
What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)?
Tuolumne City, California, population 1,179.
Yes, I have.
I don't know the exact square footage, but I once lived in an apartment that was one room and a bathroom (no kitchen, just a bar fridge, toaster oven and hot plate). I had to wash dishes in the bathroom sink and put a dish drainer in the bathtub.
Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it.
I took basic training for the Army Reserve at Fort McClellan in Alabama. My unit was based at the Presidio in San Francisco, where we held our once-a-month weekend drills. I also once had Thanksgiving dinner at Fort Dix, New Jersey when my then-boyfriend was in basic training there.
Lots of times.
Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone?
Luckily I've never had to do that.
What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)?
It's on a quiet street with houses only on one side.
25 mph, I think.
Yes, it is. We have no parking restrictions.
If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose?
Angle parking is easier, I think.
Yes, and it took me so long to find it that I had to pay for an extra half-hour of parking.

Thanks, Pammy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 10:50 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Mexico City or NYC. Not sure which was bigger at the time.
Oops.. forgot about a brief visit to Shanghai.

When I was driving in Wyoming, l noticed a city named Buford. The sign said: population 1

Many little towns in Texas have only 4way stop signs

Not counting Airbnb, probably my current home in Texas - it's ~1500 sqft

For a while I was teaching military German there. I also visit periodically to shop at the Commissary.

Many times in the 70-80s

No. I had always paper map with me and rather would go to police station.

Very quiet street. I barely can see my neighbors houses.

Not sure, 30 mph?

Not sure. No one parks on the street here.

It really doesn't matter.

Not lost, but it happened that I had to wander around to find my car.
I try to memorize where I am parking but not always remember to do so. Parking garages are the worst.

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet.

Thank you Pam!! Stay warm - it's very cold there!!

Last edited by elnina; 01-30-2023 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-30-2023, 11:08 PM

44,662 posts, read 61,751,282 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? Bejing China, over 20 million population.

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? Tortilla Flat, AZ pop 6.

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? Many.

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? House 1100 sq ft, apt 800 sq ,ft.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. Was in the Army for over 3 years, lived in various conditions.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Many many many.

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? No.

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? Wide paved quiet street in a retirement community.

What is the speed limit on your street? 25mph

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? Yes.

Doesn't matter but angled is usually easier to get in and out of.

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? Once many years ago in a large, tiered airport parking lot. In a hurry and forgot to note parking level and stall number.

ms pam

Old 01-30-2023, 11:10 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,465,010 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Area of the city, probably London, England.
Population, probably New York City.
"The Middle of Nowhere"
No doubt.
College dorm apartment.
I ws in the Navy a long time ago.
Sure.
Never did.
Residential street that's a bit busier than I'd like.
30, I think.
Yes, but I don't park there.
Angle. When it comes to driving and parking always take the path of least resistance.
For a couple minutes.

Thanks, Pam.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:15 PM

14,824 posts, read 8,156,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

New York City
Penile Kentucky (I swear I am not making that up)-population 37,401
Midway KY

Unusual Kentucky: Welcome to Penile!

https://www.mapquest.com/us/kentucky...e-ky-283503307

No wait, I remember that Midway Kentucky is even smaller population 1641
I have a cousin who lives there. Beautiful little town.
Train runs right down the center of Main Street! At Christmas it is gorgeous and all decked out~

https://www.meetmeinmidway.com/

my first apartment was pretty small
Probably, my Dad was in the Military but I was very young so don't remember a lot about it.
Many many times!
No
Relatively quiet cul de sac
Not sure it even has one
Sure
Angle

Thanks Miss Pammy!

Old 01-30-2023, 11:17 PM

37,804 posts, read 41,087,593 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

NYC

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? By small, I assume you mean population. I'm going to go with Cass, West Virginia. When I just checked it had 50 residents.

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? Yes

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? I do not know for sure but I think it was a one bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment on Long Island on a golf course that was 728 square feet. That was in the 1980s - 1995. I just looked it up and the rent is currently $2,445.00 for that apartment. Highway robbery! I currently have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment (1,039 square feet) and my rent is $1,255.00. Neither number includes utilities but I paid way more on Long Island compared to what I pay now, 27 years later, for electric and rent.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. Never did.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? Plenty of times in several states.

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? No. Pre-GPS, I've been lost though and used to get out of it by using the compass in my car. As long as I know which highways run, N/S or E/W, I know if I keep going in one direction, I'll hit a highway/Interstate and just follow it to a cross highway or my destination.

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? It's on a main road but only because it ends at the lake. It's not one of the 2 big main roads in my town and it's never busy. There is a very small baseball/skate park on one side, a small business (like a federal contractor) across the street and a big company office building behind the complex separated by a walking path, trees and a man made pool with fountain (belongs to the business).

What is the speed limit on your street? Beats me. I should know. Never saw police pull anyone over on it. There just isn't enough traffic to make them police it.

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? I park right in front of my apartment building in the complex parking lot. No street parking.

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? I don't go to places where I have to parallel park (haven't parallel parked since my road test in the early 1970s) and there is no parking here on any of the main roads. Almost every place in my town has a parking lot and homes have driveways except in the really old neighborhoods where they have to park on the street in front of their houses if they have no driveway.

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? Just told that story on Bayarea4's QOTD on 12/25/22. https://www.city-data.com/forum/64641657-post3.html

Old 01-30-2023, 11:24 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,015,462 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

***New York City for all of 2 hours. Took a train there, went up to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, got back on the train and left.

***Chicken, Alaska. Current popular is 12.

***Several towns I lived in had no traffic lights. The town I got my drivers license only had one flashing red light, which I ran while taking my drivers test. Was passed anyway.

***Around 200 square feet.

***Been to many bases around the U.S. and the world. The airline I worked for transported military troops all over the world. (Did many other types of flights as well). Sometimes they would send me to a base before our flight arrived. Other times I would ride the flight in. Other than flying into Afghanistan, I enjoyed the military flights.

***Several times. When I was growing up we would stay in motels a few times a year. Has been about 25 years since I last stayed in a motel vs a hotel.

***Never did

***Pretty much a quiet street.

***25 mph

***It is

***Angle

***Have not. When work had me traveling I always parked in the same row in the long term employee lot, as my 4 day trips often ended up being 6 weeks long. One winter my Jeep sat in employee parking for 2 months. Took me well over an hour scraping snow and ice before I could drive it.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 25,915,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in?Los Angeles

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)?sick Rock, Colorado--population 2

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal?dozens-no, hundreds

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in?14 by 65 mobile

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it.worked for a while at Ft. Carson base in Colorado Springs

Did you ever spend a night in a motel?Dozens of times

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone?oh yea, not necessarily lost but a vehicle breakdown

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)?quiet

What is the speed limit on your street?20 m.p.h.

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home?yes

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose?angle

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot?several times

Thanks Pam!!

Old 01-31-2023, 03:35 AM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What is the largest city you've ever been in? - I've been to NYC 3 times.

What is the smallest town you recall being in (whether visiting or driving through)? - D/K.

Have you been in a town so small that it had no automatic traffic signal? - Maybe...

What was the size of the smallest home you've lived in? - My current apartment is embarrassingly small.

Did you ever live on, work on or visit a military base? If so, tell us about it. - Never did.

Did you ever spend a night in a motel? - Yes, including twice 6-8 months ago when I was really missing my bed!

Before the days of cell phones, did you ever get lost or stranded and resort to going to a stranger's home to ask to use their telephone? - Nope.

What sort of roadway is your home on (e.g., a busy street, quiet street, highway, cul de sac, rural road)? - Very busy street but due to my apartments location it doesn't bother me. There is a hospital within walking distance on this street and the sirens from ambulances as well as police cars only at times is about all I hear.

What is the speed limit on your street? - IDK, I guess 30 MPH.

Is parking permitted on the street in front of your home? - It's just a busy city street. One needs a permit for the privilege unless non peak or less than 2 hours. The city has plenty of workers to enforce. A permit is only $20.00 per year and you have to be a resident. A few near by streets are free to park at all times but not this one.

If you had a choice of angle parking or parallel parking on a busy street, which would you choose? - Sometimes I like a good challenge. Parallel parking does not bother me and I'm damn good at it. It would be dreadful should I lose that skill...

Did you ever lose your car in a parking lot? - I remember about 10-12 years ago looking for my car for 20 minutes in a garage I was not familiar with.

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to be kind to everyone you meet. - Thanks, Pam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics