Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 09:24 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 5, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born on this date include two-time U.S. presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson, actors John Carradine, Red Buttons and Tim Holt; operatic tenor Jussi Björling, country music star Claude King, baseball legend Hank Aaron, sportscaster Don Cherry, writer-producer Stephen J. Cannell, football star Roger Staubach, rocker Al Kooper, actresses Charlotte Rampling, Barbara Hershey and Jennifer Jason Leigh; race car driver Darrell Waltrip, actor-director Christopher Guest, director-producer Errol Morris, actor-screenwriter Tim Meadows, actresses Jennifer Jason Leigh and Laura Linney; singer-songwriter Bobby Brown and actor-comedian Chris Parnell.

Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not?

What do you need help with most often?

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be?

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t?

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again?

How has your life been different than you imagined?

Today in History:
1783 – A sequence of strong earthquakes begins in Calabria.
1810 – Peninsular War: Siege of Cádiz begins.
1818 – Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
1852 – The New Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, opens to the public.
1862 – Moldavia and Wallachia formally unite to create the Romanian United Principalities.
1869 – The largest alluvial gold nugget in history, called the "Welcome Stranger", is found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
1885 – King Leopold II of Belgium establishes the Congo as a personal possession.
1901 – J. P. Morgan forms U.S. Steel, a $1 billion steel company, having bought some of John D. Rockefeller's iron mines and Andrew Carnegie's entire steel business.
1905 – In Mexico, the General Hospital of Mexico is inaugurated, started with four basic specialties.
1907 – Belgian chemist Leo Baekeland announces the creation of Bakelite, the world's first synthetic plastic.
1913 – Greek military aviators, Michael Moutoussis and Aristeidis Moraitinis perform the first naval air mission in history with a Farman MF.7 hydroplane.
1917 – The current constitution of Mexico is adopted, establishing a federal republic with powers separated into independent executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
1917 – The Congress of the United States passes the Immigration Act of 1917 over President Woodrow Wilson's veto.
1918 – Stephen W. Thompson shoots down a German airplane; this is the first aerial victory by the U.S. military.
1918 – SS Tuscania is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland; it is the first ship carrying American troops to Europe to be torpedoed and sunk.
1919 – Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and D. W. Griffith launch United Artists.
1924 – The Royal Greenwich Observatory begins broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal.
1933 – Mutiny on Royal Netherlands Navy warship HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën off the coast of Sumatra, Dutch East Indies.
1939 – Generalíssimo Francisco Franco becomes the 68th "Caudillo de España", or Leader of Spain.
1941 – World War II: Allied forces begin the Battle of Keren to capture Keren, Eritrea.
1945 – World War II: General Douglas MacArthur returns to Manila.
1958 – Gamal Abdel Nasser is nominated to be the first president of the United Arab Republic.
1958 – A hydrogen bomb known as the Tybee Bomb is lost by the US Air Force off the coast of Savannah, Georgia, never to be recovered.
1962 – French President Charles de Gaulle calls for Algeria to be granted independence.
1967 – Cultural Revolution: The Shanghai People's Commune is formally proclaimed, with Yao Wenyuan and Zhang Chunqiao being appointed as its leaders.
1971 – Astronauts land on the Moon in the Apollo 14 mission.
1985 – Ugo Vetere, then the mayor of Rome, and Chedli Klibi, then the mayor of Carthage, meet in Tunis to sign a treaty of friendship officially ending the Third Punic War which lasted 2,131 years.
1988 – Manuel Noriega is indicted on drug smuggling and money laundering charges.
1994 – Byron De La Beckwith is convicted of the 1963 murder of civil rights leader Medgar Evers.
1994 – Markale massacres, more than 60 people are killed and some 200 wounded as a mortar shell explodes in a downtown marketplace in Sarajevo.
1997 – The so-called Big Three banks in Switzerland announce the creation of a $71 million fund to aid Holocaust survivors and their families.
2000 – Russian forces massacre at least 60 civilians in the Novye Aldi suburb of Grozny, Chechnya.
2004 – Rebels from the Revolutionary Artibonite Resistance Front capture the city of Gonaïves, starting the 2004 Haiti rebellion.
2008 – A major tornado outbreak across the Southern United States kills 57.
2019 – Pope Francis becomes the first Pope in history to visit and perform papal mass in the Arabian Peninsula during his visit to Abu Dhabi.
2020 – United States President Donald Trump is acquitted by the United States Senate in his first impeachment trial.
2021 – Police riot in Mexico City as they try to break up a demonstration by cyclists who were protesting after a bus runs over a bicyclist. Eleven police officers are arrested.

Word of the Day:
obfuscate /ˈäbfəˌskāt/ verb
· render obscure, unclear or unintelligible
· bewilder (someone)
"the spelling changes will deform some familiar words and obfuscate their etymological origins"

“it is more likely to obfuscate people than to enlighten them”

Quote of the Day:
“In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you take.”
Adlai E. Stevenson

Today Is:
Shower with a Friend Day
Weatherman’s Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 09:36 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Today’s Questions:

Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Have not. Why or why not? I'm pretty happy with the USA, despite its problems. It's no more screwed up than most other countries right now.

What do you need help with most often? Hmm. I can't think of anything. As I get older, though, some things are becoming more difficult to do, and in a couple/few more years I'll probably need help with stuff like cleaning gutters and doing some other home maintenance.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? Clean out my second bedroom. (It's not going to happen. I have very little storage space in my old (108 yrs) house, and the second bedroom serves as a big closet for the most part.)

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Cantaloupe and honeydew melon. They look tasty but taste nasty!

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Ice skating. I used to love it but figure it's too dangerous for me to try it now. Too much of a fall risk.

How has your life been different than you imagined? Until I was in my late 50s, I only dreamed of traveling to Europe. But in the past 10 years I've been blessed with several trips there and have another planned for this year. Literally a dream come true.

Thanks for the Sunday questions Bay!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-04-2023 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2023, 09:52 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,110 times
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not?
I did move to another country for three years, Iceland, because the Navy gave me orders to do so. I did consider moving to another country again, but that idea fizzled out long ago.
Lately, my attitude.
Sort through old paperwork.
Venison.
Go to a zoo. I last went to one in 1988 and decided not to do that anymore.
I am not living where I want to live right now.

Thank you, M.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Today’s Questions:
***Spent most of a year living in Belgium. However, I never considered it being my residence. Every now and then I would fly back to Alaska to check my mail and put a few miles on the Jeep. I have no desire to officially move to another country.

***Nothing. Living alone, if I don't do it then it does not get done.

***Maybe I will file my taxes.

***Someone I worked with many years ago.

***Ride a motorcycle

***Never in a million years did I think I would travel all over the world. Other than passing through Canada to get to Alaska, I did not think I would ever go to another country. Also, as I went off to college I did not see me working in aviation.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:55 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Lived temporarily in Korea in the military for over a year. Would not consider living outside of the US.
Why or why not? With all it's problems there still is no better place than the good 'ol USA.

What do you need help with most often? Getting out of bed each morning.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? Making it through to next week.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Rabbit, goose, venison.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Travel all over the world.

How has your life been different than you imagined? Aged too fast, didn't plan on being a caretaker..

Old 02-04-2023, 11:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Today’s Questions:
Wouldn't do it now. Too old. Would have considered moving to another country if my job required it when I was younger. At one time, when I was around 18, I wanted to work in an embassy after I finished my education. Wouldn't leave the country on a whim. Only for my job.

What do you need help with most often? Please don't let this be a QOTD jinx question - anything to do with my legs (can't climb stairs, stand for any length of time or get up off the floor for cleaning and assembling things. No strength in my legs. Help with my computer problems comes in a close second.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? Later this morning someone is coming over to help me with a few things involving lifting and assembly and Friday was the Day from Hell with regard to 3 orders of things from 3 different businesses. Only 1 of the 3 has been resolved. All could have been avoided if the 3 businesses in question had the correct information on their respective websites. One of them involves furniture delivery and that's still up in the air since the furniture has to come from another state, go to the store I ordered it from and delivery and assembly/setup once it comes to me. The date being up in the air is preventing me from agreeing to participate in something next Saturday.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Contemporary Jazz. It's too all over the place for my taste. I like most music at least a little, but not jazz. It's just noise to me. Even took a course in it in college thinking maybe if I understood it, I would like it. Got an A in the class, went to all of the required concerts, still don't like it.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Go to an NHL hockey game. Stairs is the reason.

How has your life been different than you imagined? Since I have never known the answer to "Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?" I never think about it. Looking back, always seemed to land on my feet no matter what I do, consciously or unconsciously, so no complaints. Just lucky, I guess.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:14 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Today’s Questions:
Visit yes, move no....Why? There is no place like home...and the US is my home.
I am pretty independent and don't like asking for help....so I am not sure.
Survive another week.

Circuses or Amusement Parks
I don't know...I am not sure what I imagined....I kind of take one day at a time.
Don't like to get too far ahead of myself.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:27 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not? Definitely would if the stars aligned, I would love to experience a different culture, a different way of life first hand. Alas it's never likely to happen for me.

What do you need help with most often? Reaching things, my coworker often accuses me of using her for her height.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? Getting the fridge cleaned

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Beer

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Haunted Houses, tried a few times but I just don't enjoy them at all.

How has your life been different than you imagined? I've started over from scratch, with nothing to my name, twice now. A bit of a struggle and I've never quite caught up to where I imagined I'd be by now.
thx
wait- shower with a friend day?

Old 02-05-2023, 03:47 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
Today’s Questions:
----- Sure. Lived in 4 others for over a year, a few others shorter. The world is so big, there's so much out there, wwhy wear blinders. People are great everywhere. US gave me fluent English and economic power, I'm takng advantage of it.

----- I'm self suffifient. If I cant do it myself, I learn to get along without

----- no task list.

----- Argentina

------ Anything associated with amusement parks, beaches or museums

----- I never expected it to be nearly so long. As a child I wondered if I'd live to 2000. The new century is now a quarter gone, I'm still ticking.

Good Qs. Thx

Last edited by arr430; 02-05-2023 at 04:03 AM..

Old 02-05-2023, 03:54 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,015,751 times
Good morning, it's very early here.

Yes, a few times, a few countries. I might move again in the distant future, it's possible. The first time I moved was after I got married. My husband didn't want to move/live in my native country so I followed him.
Accepting things (that I can't change) as they are, letting go. Surrendering.
Cleaning the house. I had some problems with 'brother donkey' and I could not do it but I just have to somehow this week.
American cheese.
Gymnastics.
I did not imagine much about my future life when I was younger, a child or a teen. A friend of mine, she would say when we were 16: "When I will be an adult I'll have two children, a boy and a girl etc etc." I never thought about these things. Someone asked me one time: "What do you want to be when you get older?" and I said: "I want to be happy."

Thanks Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics