Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 04:18 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times

Advertisements

Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not?

haven't but used to want to move to Canada.

What do you need help with most often?
shoveling snow

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be?
see if I can find the location of my well

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t?
coffee. nasty yukky stuff.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again?
cross a supposedly frozen pond.

How has your life been different than you imagined?
never thought about it when younger.

thanks, bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 05:34 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not? - I can think of at least 6 countries off the top that take way better care of their citizens than they do here. I'd love to move / try something else but it's unrealistic. Never considered only because of the cost.

Adding - The gun culture here makes me ill. I wish I could say more as I have a much longer answer for this...

What do you need help with most often? - Should the need arise there is no way in heck will I attempt to do anything mechanical to my car like I used to...

It's the closest answer I can think of as I am very independent. Echoing what poster arr430 said about that...

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? - Earning another paycheck direct deposit from my part-time job. It will be done as I look forward to the outcome of my previous weeks work every Wednesday.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? - Easy answer - eating raw apples.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? - Definitely ice skating.

How has your life been different than you imagined? - Sorry, this one is too personal...

Thanks, Bay!

Last edited by John13; 02-05-2023 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-05-2023, 05:57 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not? I do wish I had studied abroad for a year or had gotten a job that I would work in another country for a year. Just a temporary move. Despite some of our turmoil, USA is still the best country.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? Tidying up my sewing/office room.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Oysters

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Skiing. I tried it twice, just not my thing. Too darn scary coming down that hill and hoping all ends well. I like my limps intact.

How has your life been different than you imagined? Very different, I will just leave it at that.

Today in History:
Thanks for the History lesson Bay!

Today Is:
Shower with a Friend Day
Weatherman’s Day

Happy Sunday...

Old 02-05-2023, 06:40 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not?
No. With all our problems, America is still the best.

What do you need help with most often? Nothing. At 82, my body is still o.k., physically and mentally, so I take care of everything....BUT, I do hire someone to take care of my landscaping. That's because I love the way he cross-cuts my grass, edges the sidewalks, and weeds/mulches my flower beds. He's the best, is cheap, and reliable! When I do it, it's not nearly as beautiful as when he does all of that.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? N/A. I work a 50-60 hour/week, and what doesn't get done around the house doesn't bother me.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? (I didn't 'really try' but tried once or twice) Eat Oysters, Wings, Pink Steak, Go to Barbeques, Picnics, Reunions, Ladies Sales Parties like Jewelry/household items. I tried the Modern Maturity Ctr. once -hated it and never went back. I think I'm just not "group" material!

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Ride a ferris wheel

How has your life been different than you imagined? Since my husband of 62 years passed last year, life has been different, but I'm back on my feet, working hard, and adjusting the best I can. Thank goodness I have my work, which I very much enjoy, and I'm able to pick up and go to live concerts, whenever I want. Many times, I buy a concert ticket spur of the moment, hop in the car, and go.

Thanks, Bay!

Last edited by rdlr; 02-05-2023 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-05-2023, 07:25 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 5, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born on this date include two-time U.S. presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson, actors John Carradine, Red Buttons and Tim Holt; operatic tenor Jussi Björling, country music star Claude King, baseball legend Hank Aaron, sportscaster Don Cherry, writer-producer Stephen J. Cannell, football star Roger Staubach, rocker Al Kooper, actresses Charlotte Rampling, Barbara Hershey and Jennifer Jason Leigh; race car driver Darrell Waltrip, actor-director Christopher Guest, director-producer Errol Morris, actor-screenwriter Tim Meadows, actresses Jennifer Jason Leigh and Laura Linney; singer-songwriter Bobby Brown and actor-comedian Chris Parnell.

Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not?..........I moved to Canada with my parents when I was a teenager ...it was my father's dream

What do you need help with most often?.........Lifting heavier items these days

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be?..............Pack some boxes for Diabetes donation

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t?............Some shellfish

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again?.........

How has your life been different than you imagined?.............Hard to imagine I lived longer in Canada than in Germany

Today in History:
1783 – A sequence of strong earthquakes begins in Calabria.
1810 – Peninsular War: Siege of Cádiz begins.
1818 – Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
1852 – The New Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, opens to the public.
1862 – Moldavia and Wallachia formally unite to create the Romanian United Principalities.
1869 – The largest alluvial gold nugget in history, called the "Welcome Stranger", is found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
1885 – King Leopold II of Belgium establishes the Congo as a personal possession.
1901 – J. P. Morgan forms U.S. Steel, a $1 billion steel company, having bought some of John D. Rockefeller's iron mines and Andrew Carnegie's entire steel business.
1905 – In Mexico, the General Hospital of Mexico is inaugurated, started with four basic specialties.
1907 – Belgian chemist Leo Baekeland announces the creation of Bakelite, the world's first synthetic plastic.
1913 – Greek military aviators, Michael Moutoussis and Aristeidis Moraitinis perform the first naval air mission in history with a Farman MF.7 hydroplane.
1917 – The current constitution of Mexico is adopted, establishing a federal republic with powers separated into independent executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
1917 – The Congress of the United States passes the Immigration Act of 1917 over President Woodrow Wilson's veto.
1918 – Stephen W. Thompson shoots down a German airplane; this is the first aerial victory by the U.S. military.
1918 – SS Tuscania is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland; it is the first ship carrying American troops to Europe to be torpedoed and sunk.
1919 – Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and D. W. Griffith launch United Artists.
1924 – The Royal Greenwich Observatory begins broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal.
1933 – Mutiny on Royal Netherlands Navy warship HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën off the coast of Sumatra, Dutch East Indies.
1939 – Generalíssimo Francisco Franco becomes the 68th "Caudillo de España", or Leader of Spain.
1941 – World War II: Allied forces begin the Battle of Keren to capture Keren, Eritrea.
1945 – World War II: General Douglas MacArthur returns to Manila.
1958 – Gamal Abdel Nasser is nominated to be the first president of the United Arab Republic.
1958 – A hydrogen bomb known as the Tybee Bomb is lost by the US Air Force off the coast of Savannah, Georgia, never to be recovered.
1962 – French President Charles de Gaulle calls for Algeria to be granted independence.
1967 – Cultural Revolution: The Shanghai People's Commune is formally proclaimed, with Yao Wenyuan and Zhang Chunqiao being appointed as its leaders.
1971 – Astronauts land on the Moon in the Apollo 14 mission.
1985 – Ugo Vetere, then the mayor of Rome, and Chedli Klibi, then the mayor of Carthage, meet in Tunis to sign a treaty of friendship officially ending the Third Punic War which lasted 2,131 years.
1988 – Manuel Noriega is indicted on drug smuggling and money laundering charges.
1994 – Byron De La Beckwith is convicted of the 1963 murder of civil rights leader Medgar Evers.
1994 – Markale massacres, more than 60 people are killed and some 200 wounded as a mortar shell explodes in a downtown marketplace in Sarajevo.
1997 – The so-called Big Three banks in Switzerland announce the creation of a $71 million fund to aid Holocaust survivors and their families.
2000 – Russian forces massacre at least 60 civilians in the Novye Aldi suburb of Grozny, Chechnya.
2004 – Rebels from the Revolutionary Artibonite Resistance Front capture the city of Gonaïves, starting the 2004 Haiti rebellion.
2008 – A major tornado outbreak across the Southern United States kills 57.
2019 – Pope Francis becomes the first Pope in history to visit and perform papal mass in the Arabian Peninsula during his visit to Abu Dhabi.
2020 – United States President Donald Trump is acquitted by the United States Senate in his first impeachment trial.
2021 – Police riot in Mexico City as they try to break up a demonstration by cyclists who were protesting after a bus runs over a bicyclist. Eleven police officers are arrested.

Word of the Day:
obfuscate /ˈäbfəˌskāt/ verb
· render obscure, unclear or unintelligible
· bewilder (someone)
"the spelling changes will deform some familiar words and obfuscate their etymological origins"

“it is more likely to obfuscate people than to enlighten them”

Quote of the Day:
“In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you take.”
Adlai E. Stevenson

Today Is:
Shower with a Friend Day
Weatherman’s Day

Thank you Bayarea

Old 02-05-2023, 07:33 AM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not? no. I’m happy living in the US.

What do you need help with most often? anything with my car.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? nothing that important, just need to go to the dentist on Tuesday for a cleaning.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? certain TV shows. Coffee. Sushi.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? parasailing.

How has your life been different than you imagined? very different. I thought it would be better when I retired. So far I’m bored.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:28 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=Bayarea4;64831293]Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 5, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born on this date include two-time U.S. presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson, actors John Carradine, Red Buttons and Tim Holt; operatic tenor Jussi Björling, country music star Claude King, baseball legend Hank Aaron, sportscaster Don Cherry, writer-producer Stephen J. Cannell, football star Roger Staubach, rocker Al Kooper, actresses Charlotte Rampling, Barbara Hershey and Jennifer Jason Leigh; race car driver Darrell Waltrip, actor-director Christopher Guest, director-producer Errol Morris, actor-screenwriter Tim Meadows, actresses Jennifer Jason Leigh and Laura Linney; singer-songwriter Bobby Brown and actor-comedian Chris Parnell.

Hi Bay
Today’s Questions:
Noooo. I like America.
Motivation lol.
If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be?
Go get the tile I finally settled on for the bathroom. We've been helping our friend with the shop so we can't really start that project until we finish helping him. I think in about two more weeks we should have all of the small stuff out. We shrink wrapped and moved about 100 buffing wheels and tons of metal yesterday.
What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t?
That might be some people.
What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again?
Scuba dive, although I'd like to do it again.
How has your life been different than you imagined?
I saw myself in a Porsche living in a beautiful log cabin in the woods when I was young. Instead I bough a fun sports car and live in a beautiful old house. The thing is, I could have that cabin and a Porsche too if I wanted it.

Today in History:
1783 – A sequence of strong earthquakes begins in Calabria.
1810 – Peninsular War: Siege of Cádiz begins.
1818 – Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
1852 – The New Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, opens to the public.
1862 – Moldavia and Wallachia formally unite to create the Romanian United Principalities.
1869 – The largest alluvial gold nugget in history, called the "Welcome Stranger", is found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
1885 – King Leopold II of Belgium establishes the Congo as a personal possession.
1901 – J. P. Morgan forms U.S. Steel, a $1 billion steel company, having bought some of John D. Rockefeller's iron mines and Andrew Carnegie's entire steel business.
1905 – In Mexico, the General Hospital of Mexico is inaugurated, started with four basic specialties.
1907 – Belgian chemist Leo Baekeland announces the creation of Bakelite, the world's first synthetic plastic.
1913 – Greek military aviators, Michael Moutoussis and Aristeidis Moraitinis perform the first naval air mission in history with a Farman MF.7 hydroplane.
1917 – The current constitution of Mexico is adopted, establishing a federal republic with powers separated into independent executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
1917 – The Congress of the United States passes the Immigration Act of 1917 over President Woodrow Wilson's veto.
1918 – Stephen W. Thompson shoots down a German airplane; this is the first aerial victory by the U.S. military.
1918 – SS Tuscania is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland; it is the first ship carrying American troops to Europe to be torpedoed and sunk.
1919 – Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and D. W. Griffith launch United Artists.
1924 – The Royal Greenwich Observatory begins broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal.
1933 – Mutiny on Royal Netherlands Navy warship HNLMS De Zeven Provinciën off the coast of Sumatra, Dutch East Indies.
1939 – Generalíssimo Francisco Franco becomes the 68th "Caudillo de España", or Leader of Spain.
1941 – World War II: Allied forces begin the Battle of Keren to capture Keren, Eritrea.
1945 – World War II: General Douglas MacArthur returns to Manila.
1958 – Gamal Abdel Nasser is nominated to be the first president of the United Arab Republic.
1958 – A hydrogen bomb known as the Tybee Bomb is lost by the US Air Force off the coast of Savannah, Georgia, never to be recovered.
1962 – French President Charles de Gaulle calls for Algeria to be granted independence.
1967 – Cultural Revolution: The Shanghai People's Commune is formally proclaimed, with Yao Wenyuan and Zhang Chunqiao being appointed as its leaders.
1971 – Astronauts land on the Moon in the Apollo 14 mission.
1985 – Ugo Vetere, then the mayor of Rome, and Chedli Klibi, then the mayor of Carthage, meet in Tunis to sign a treaty of friendship officially ending the Third Punic War which lasted 2,131 years.
1988 – Manuel Noriega is indicted on drug smuggling and money laundering charges.
1994 – Byron De La Beckwith is convicted of the 1963 murder of civil rights leader Medgar Evers.
1994 – Markale massacres, more than 60 people are killed and some 200 wounded as a mortar shell explodes in a downtown marketplace in Sarajevo.
1997 – The so-called Big Three banks in Switzerland announce the creation of a $71 million fund to aid Holocaust survivors and their families.
2000 – Russian forces massacre at least 60 civilians in the Novye Aldi suburb of Grozny, Chechnya.
2004 – Rebels from the Revolutionary Artibonite Resistance Front capture the city of Gonaïves, starting the 2004 Haiti rebellion.
2008 – A major tornado outbreak across the Southern United States kills 57.
2019 – Pope Francis becomes the first Pope in history to visit and perform papal mass in the Arabian Peninsula during his visit to Abu Dhabi.
2020 – United States President Donald Trump is acquitted by the United States Senate in his first impeachment trial.
2021 – Police riot in Mexico City as they try to break up a demonstration by cyclists who were protesting after a bus runs over a bicyclist. Eleven police officers are arrested.

Word of the Day:
obfuscate /ˈäbfəˌskāt/ verb
· render obscure, unclear or unintelligible
· bewilder (someone)
"the spelling changes will deform some familiar words and obfuscate their etymological origins"

“it is more likely to obfuscate people than to enlighten them”

Quote of the Day:
“In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you take.”
Adlai E. Stevenson

Today Is:
Shower with a Friend Day
Weatherman’s Day

Thanks Bay. Shower with a friend day .

Well it looks like I'm going back to work at the big box for a few hours today. My littles with autism is still in the hospital, The obstruction is not resolving and another intervention is needed. Mom has been there for 4 nights changing diapers around the clock. Her husband is sick, and her son and her parents all caught the same bug. I'm going to wear full isolation gear and an N95 mask and gloves. They are making an exception for my visit because there is no one else to help them. I heard him say my name and is coming when we were hanging up. He's excited to see me and already looking out the window to see if I'm coming. He's special to me. I miss him too.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:35 AM

1,371 posts, read 614,663 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:

Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Yes, I have moved from one country to this one. The second part of the question is yes, I would like to move to Spain.
Why or why not? The latter is that as we age somethings start to take importance, taking into account no perfect place in the world exists. Why I would move there is what has become important to us as this stage in life: Family, health care, affordable medicines, quality of life and safety.

What do you need help with most often? Lifting

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? I saw an easy recipe for won-ton soup that I want to make. My wife loves that soup whereas I can take it or leave it, I thought it was going to be hard and saw it only takes 10 min for prep time. Pretty doable, we'll see

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Foie gras. Steak tartare, sashimi, raw oysters. Found anything raw flesh is repulsive to me. The foie it's unethical to me.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? White water rafting.

How has your life been different than you imagined? Yes.

THX!

Enjoy the rest of your fun day folks!

Old 02-05-2023, 10:38 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
There are many things I have tried to like but just can't. Coffee, for starters. Oysters, ballet, blueberries, eggs, avocado, Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza.....the list is endless.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:40 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Today’s Questions:
Would you - or have you ever – moved to another country or considered doing so? Why or why not? No.

What do you need help with most often? Technology.

If you can complete just one task this week, what would it be? I am retired. My house chores are all done all the time. I do want to do a refresh of my laundry room and garage, however.

What is something you really tried to like but just couldn’t? Winter weather.

What is a supposedly fun thing that you did that you’ll never do again? Go to a rodeo.

How has your life been different than you imagined? I met my husband.......not husband material I found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics