Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 05:23 AM

16,677 posts, read 17,449,350 times

Advertisements

Bonjour Bay!

Today’s Questions:
When did you last see a doctor or other medical professional?

During May I had both eyes treated for cataracts and was in a clinique for a few hours each time.

Are you planning any trips this summer?

We are happy to stay here during the summer. Later on we will be going to the British Isles touring through through England Scotland and Ireland.

Do you have any devices that are solar powered?

Just a wristwatch.

Have you ever had freshly baked homemade bread?

I used to bake our own bread. In France I love going to the boulangerie.

How do you feel about talking on the telephone?

It depends. Remember, when I have a phone conversation here it is likely to be in French and they speak quickly. My French is pretty good, but I can get caught out.

Do you have any mystery keys that you have no idea what they’re for, but you’re afraid to throw them away?

When we moved into our house here we found a variety of keys in a kitchen drawer, and we are still not sure about some of them.

Merci Bay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 05:36 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,434,872 times
Today’s Questions:

Back in January. Had no idea I had kidney stones until they were coming out. Sorry for the TMI. I told the doctor that I think the calcium carbonate supplements that I was taking caused them and he agreed.

None.

Outdoor lights.

Yes.

I don’t like it.

Do you have any mystery keys that you have no idea what they’re for, but you’re afraid to throw them away?

I think so.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:22 AM

126,296 posts, read 19,077,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 11, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Some notable people born on this date include biologist, author and inventor Jacques Cousteau, legendary football coach Vince Lombardi, pianist and singer Hazel Scott, author William Styron, actress Adrienne Barbeau; actors Gene Wilder, Chad Everett, Peter Dinklage, Hugh Laurie and Shia LeBoeuf; race car driver Jackie Stewart, football player Joe Montana and surgeon, author and television host Mehmet Oz.

Today’s Questions:
When did you last see a doctor or other medical professional?................... Early spring

Are you planning any trips this summer?.....................Yes I am

Do you have any devices that are solar powered?....................Just my garden and outside houselights

Have you ever had freshly baked homemade bread?..............Yes I bake it weekly

How do you feel about talking on the telephone?.............It is okay

Do you have any mystery keys that you have no idea what they’re for, but you’re afraid to throw them away?...............I have inherited a whole box of keys my mother kept all those years

Today in History:
1429 – Hundred Years' War: Start of the Battle of Jargeau.
1509 – Henry VIII of England marries Catherine of Aragon.
1559 – Don Tristan de Luna y Arellano sails for Florida with party of 1,500, intending to settle on the gulf coast (present-day Vera Cruz, Mexico).
1748 – Denmark adopts the characteristic Nordic Cross flag later taken up by all other Scandinavian countries.
1770 – British explorer Captain James Cook runs aground on the Great Barrier Reef.
1775 – The American Revolutionary War's first naval engagement, the Battle of Machias, results in the capture of a small British naval vessel.
1776 – The Continental Congress appoints Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston to the Committee of Five to draft a declaration of independence.
1788 – Russian explorer Gerasim Izmailov reaches Alaska.
1805 – A fire consumes large portions of Detroit in the Michigan Territory.
1825 – The first cornerstone is laid for Fort Hamilton in New York City.
1837 – The Broad Street Riot occurs in Boston, fueled by ethnic tensions between Yankees and Irish.
1892 – The Limelight Department, one of the world's first film studios, is officially established in Melbourne, Australia.
1895 – Paris–Bordeaux–Paris, sometimes called the first automobile race in history or the "first motor race", takes place.
1901 – The boundaries of the Colony of New Zealand are extended by the UK to include the Cook Islands.
1903 – A group of Serbian officers storms the royal palace and assassinates King Alexander I of Serbia and his wife, Queen Draga.
1919 – Sir Barton wins the Belmont Stakes, becoming the first horse to win the U.S. Triple Crown.
1920 – During the U.S. Republican National Convention in Chicago, U.S. Republican Party leaders gathered in a room at the Blackstone Hotel to come to a consensus on their candidate for the U.S. presidential election, leading the Associated Press to coin the political phrase "smoke-filled room".
1935 – Inventor Edwin Armstrong gives the first public demonstration of FM broadcasting in the United States at Alpine, New Jersey.
1937 – Great Purge: The Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin executes eight army leaders.
1938 – Second Sino-Japanese War: The Battle of Wuhan starts.
1940 – World War II: The Siege of Malta begins with a series of Italian air raids.
1942 – World War II: The United States agrees to send Lend-Lease aid to the Soviet Union.
1944 – USS Missouri, the last battleship built by the United States Navy and future site of the signing of the Japanese Instrument of Surrender, is commissioned.
1955 – Eighty-three spectators are killed and at least 100 are injured after an Austin-Healey and a Mercedes-Benz collide at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the deadliest ever accident in motorsports.
1962 – Frank Morris, John Anglin and Clarence Anglin allegedly become the only prisoners to escape from the prison on Alcatraz Island.
1963 – American Civil Rights Movement: Governor of Alabama George Wallace defiantly stands at the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama to block two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, from attending that school. Later in the day, accompanied by federalized National Guard troops, they finally register.
1963 – Buddhist monk Thích Qung Đức burns himself with gasoline in a busy Saigon intersection to protest the lack of religious freedom in South Vietnam.
1963 – John F. Kennedy gives an address proposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which would revolutionize American society by guaranteeing equal access to public facilities, ending segregation in education, and guaranteeing federal protection for voting rights.
1968 – Lloyd J. Old identifies the first cell surface antigens that could differentiate among different cell types.
1970 – After being appointed on May 15, Anna Mae Hays and Elizabeth P. Hoisington officially receive their ranks as U.S. Army Generals, becoming the first women to do so.
1971 – The U.S. Government forcibly removes the last holdouts to the Native American Occupation of Alcatraz, ending 19 months of control.
1987 – Diane Abbott, Paul Boateng and Bernie Grant are elected as the first black MPs in Great Britain.
1998 – Compaq Computer pays nine billion dollars for Digital Equipment Corporation in the largest high-tech acquisition.
2001 – Timothy McVeigh is executed for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing.
2002 – Antonio Meucci is acknowledged as the first inventor of the telephone by the United States Congress.
2004 – Cassini–Huygens makes its closest flyby of the Saturn moon Phoebe.
2008 – Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper makes a historic official apology to Canada's First Nations for abuses at a Canadian Indian residential school.
2010 – The first African FIFA World Cup kicks off in South Africa.
2013 – Greece's public broadcaster ERT is shut down by then-prime minister Antonis Samaras. It is opened exactly two years later by then-prime minister Alexis Tsipras.

Word of the Day:
effusive \ i-ˈfyü-siv \adjective

1. expressed with unrestrained enthusiasm or emotion
2. extravagantly demonstrative

Listen
Quote of the Day:
“The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.”
- Vince Lombardi

Today Is:
National Children’s Day
Race Unity Day
Corn on the Cob Day
Cousteau Day
National Cotton Candy Day
National German Chocolate Cake Day

Thank you Bayarea

Old 06-11-2023, 06:24 AM

30,562 posts, read 16,251,943 times
Today’s Questions:
this coming Tuesday

nope

no

yes! yumalicious

not a fan. would rather email.

a few. like missing socks, I just know that someday the locks will show up.

thanks, BA

Old 06-11-2023, 06:37 AM

5,587 posts, read 6,519,238 times
Today’s Questions:
When did you last see a doctor or other medical professional? Two months ago for lab work, then a week later to speak with my doctor about the results.

Are you planning any trips this summer? Yes. Going for 10 days by plane to dogsit my 4 Granddogs while my family of 4 go to Hawaii!

Do you have any devices that are solar powered? No.

Have you ever had freshly baked homemade bread? Yes, it really is to die for.

How do you feel about talking on the telephone? I don't mind. I remember "back in the day" I could spend hours on the telephone, talking to friends or on the "party line" if I was lucky enough to get into it. Funny story: after multiple tries I got into the "party line" (had to dial a number and that got one into an open line where many people my age managed to talk to others) and was listening to a guy giving a girl a line.....I recognized his voice! I put the phone down, leaving the line open, and ran around the corner to my BFF and had her come listen. We both butted in and told the girl that it was so-and-so and he was feeding her a line.......it was funny at the time. He was BUSTED!

Do you have any mystery keys that you have no idea what they’re for, but you’re afraid to throw them away? I have a key or two in my purse that I think were given to me by my adult daughter for a safe they had......I don't know now so will have to check with her, and she prolly won't remember, lol. But I guess it could be considered that I am "afraid" to throw them away.

Thanks for the fun questions!

Old 06-11-2023, 07:07 AM

14,786 posts, read 8,126,158 times
Today’s Questions:
Just a few months ago. I am practically held hostage either I go twice a year or they won't renew my
prescriptions. I hate having to go to the Doctor when I don't feel sick.

No vacations, a few day trips around the state though.
Just some light stakes around the patio.
Yes, totally yummy. (have to watch the carbs though!)

It was my favorite thing in the world when I was a teenager! Now...Meh!

I am not a big fan of talking to businesses on the phone, personal calls are okay though...
Not now, but in the past yes.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-11-2023 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-11-2023, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Good morning, BayArea and thank you!

When did you last see a doctor or other medical professional? I think it was almost a year ago - I had a melanoma and it had to be removed. Ugh. Good times.

Are you planning any trips this summer? I am planning a big trip but it's in October. I plan to go to the DC area.

Do you have any devices that are solar powered? I have some solar lights in my garden.

Have you ever had freshly baked homemade bread? Yes, I make it occasionally. LOVE IT.

How do you feel about talking on the telephone? It's OK. I love documenting in text but it's harder to get across emotions in text. Thankfully most of my phone calls don't involve much or any emotion! LOL I do love to talk on the phone with my kids though.

Do you have any mystery keys that you have no idea what they’re for, but you’re afraid to throw them away? OK I admit it - I have a very few but not very many.

By the way, I think Hugh Laurie is soooooooooooo funny!

Old 06-11-2023, 07:50 AM

6,883 posts, read 4,888,158 times
I had a check up in May.

My DH made great bread.

No solar.

I'm not thrilled about talking on the phone. It's easier with some people than others. I hate getting automated phone systems. They should be illegal!

No solar.

Oh, yes....I have mystery keys!

Old 06-11-2023, 08:26 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,395,551 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
A few months ago.

Are you planning any trips this summer? Yes, there will be a few trips.

How do you feel about talking on the telephone? Rather talk in person.

Today in History:

1963 – John F. Kennedy gives an address proposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which would revolutionize American society by guaranteeing equal access to public facilities, ending segregation in education, and guaranteeing federal protection for voting rights.

Thanks for the History lesson Bay!

Today Is:
National Children’s Day
Race Unity Day
Corn on the Cob Day Corn is not ready yet here.
Cousteau Day
National Cotton Candy Day
National German Chocolate Cake Day

Wishing you a lovely Sunday!

Old 06-11-2023, 08:39 AM

7,374 posts, read 5,489,394 times
Today’s Questions:
When did you last see a doctor or other medical professional? last September for an infection. I have my annual check up in August.

Are you planning any trips this summer? I’m going to house and puppy sit at my sons house in Chicago, so I’ll find some stuff to do and see there. I already took my big trip for the year in April when I went to London and Paris.

Do you have any devices that are solar powered? no

Have you ever had freshly baked homemade bread? yes, many times.

How do you feel about talking on the telephone? I don’t mind as long as it’s not for over a half hour.

Yes, a whole bag full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics