Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 09:59 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

. . . you'll see Thursday's questions. Out the right window: thanks for flying City-Data.

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever flown over a memorable place where the pilot comes on the intercom to announce what you're seeing, and have you missed a sight because you were on the wrong side of the plane?

Good or bad, do you have any memories of airline or airport employees: pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, baggage clerks, etc.?

Are there any culture shocks - good or bad - you've experienced, whether traveling or not, and if yes, can you give any example(s)?

Foodie Question(s):
Do you thaw ice cream to soften it before dishing, and if so, how (microwave or set it on the counter) and for how long?

Do you ever wait a while after a meal before dessert?

Have a tasty Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 10:26 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
. . . you'll see Thursday's questions. Out the right window: thanks for flying City-Data.
LOL I thought you had lost a few marbles for a minute until I read the first question.

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever flown over a memorable place where the pilot comes on the intercom to announce what you're seeing, and have you missed a sight because you were on the wrong side of the plane?
I've only flown a handful of times so I don't remember anyone announcing anything but it could have happened. It's been 10 years or more since I was on an airplane.

Good or bad, do you have any memories of airline or airport employees: pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, baggage clerks, etc.?
Yeah a girl in Texas many, many years ago. She was so sweet and Tito Jackson was in the airport and I snapped a picture of the two of them. I wish I knew who she was, I still have that picture.

Are there any culture shocks - good or bad - you've experienced, whether traveling or not, and if yes, can you give any example(s)?
Believe it or not, there was culture shock for me when moving from my home in NC at 7 years old, to SC. I'm near the mountains here, and I was on the coast growing up. At that age, it was hard for me to adjust. The people were sooo different here and quite snobby actually, I was a fish out of water, so to speak. I never adjusted in school, I was a beach bum living in a Barbie world.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you thaw ice cream to soften it before dishing, and if so, how (microwave or set it on the counter) and for how long?
Nah, I just take a chisel to it. LOL I don't eat ice cream but when I did, I would let it soften on the counter for a few minutes. It doesn't take long.

No dessert for quite a while. I've got to get healthier.

Have a tasty Thursday!
Thanks bjh

Last edited by Northsouth; 11-01-2023 at 10:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2023, 11:32 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Today's Question(s):
No, I don't think that has ever happened to me. If I've missed a sight, it would be because I always seem to get stuck in the middle seat with taller people on either side.
Yes, I used to date a pilot for United Airlines and even got to be a passenger on one of his flights.
When I first landed at JFK, having never been to the East coast, I was shocked to hear the people around me speaking with New York accents. For a moment I felt disoriented, as if I had landed in the middle of a TV situation comedy. Television was the only place I'd ever heard those types of accents. When I went to Europe, I remember thinking "everything's old here."
Foodie Question(s):
I use the ice cream scoop. I count it as part of my upper body workout.
Wait for dessert? What, are you kidding me? Not a chance!

Thank you, Captain bjh!

Old 11-02-2023, 12:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Today's Question(s):
Not that I recall but I might be disturbed that if he's out here, who's flying the plane.

Good or bad, do you have any memories of airline or airport employees: pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, baggage clerks, etc.?.

I told this story in a 2013 QOTD so I'll just cut and paste it. I have two. I vowed when I retired I would never fly again and I won't. But when I was flying for work, I was on a plane Mod cut. that had trouble beginning when it was on the runway and the pilot announced that they had to unload fuel and then when we were in the air that we had engine trouble but not to worry about it if we saw a little smoke. Yeah, right. We sat on the runway for a couple of hours before take off while we watched a mechanical crew arrive. Every time we hit turbulence on that flight we all thought we were going to die. And then they did the most assinine thing ever - they handed out little lead pencils, a bubble sheet to color in the circles and a customer satisfaction survey to all of us. I'm not even going to tell you what I wrote across mine. That was the first and only time I was ever surveyed on a flight.

Then one time I was on another flight (Mod cut. - I hate that airline the most) from Kansas City that made an emergency stop in Oklahoma due to "bad weather." As if stopping in Oklahoma and sitting on the runway for a spell when there is "bad weather" is reassuring. But yes, that's what they told us. So, we eventually get to Houston where I had to change planes and in the airport (as we are walking in to the terminal) there is an announcement on the loudspeaker that there has been a change. Passengers will not be boarding flight blah, blah, blah (the flight number of the plane I had just come off of) because of engine trouble and they were taking the plane out of service. They couldn't just announce the change? They had some uncontrollable urge to tell people why? Did they think those of us getting off that plane weren't listening? Jeez Louise.

Are there any culture shocks - good or bad - you've experienced, whether traveling or not, and if yes, can you give any example(s)? No culture shocks.

Foodie Question(s):
Don't do that.

Do you ever wait a while after a meal before dessert? I always eat dessert an hour or two after a meal or sometimes the next day.

Have a tasty Thursday!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-02-2023 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Airline names deleted.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:04 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Good Morning

Today's Question(s):

Good or bad, do you have any memories of airline or airport employees: pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, baggage clerks, etc.? I have always had good experiences.

Are there any culture shocks - good or bad - you've experienced, whether traveling or not, and if yes, can you give any example(s)? I can't say "culture shocks". I am just aware other Cultures are different and I am prepared for that.

Foodie Question(s):

Do you ever wait a while after a meal before dessert? Dessert has never been part of my evening meal. Sometimes holidays there is a dessert--that would be after an hour or so.

Chilly morning...

Last edited by GiGi603; 11-02-2023 at 01:32 AM..

Old 11-02-2023, 01:16 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
A pilot once mentioned the Grand canyon when we flew over it.

I saw a flight attendant, back against the bulkhead (I think that might be what it's called), slide down the wall holding a tray of food. After that it was the flight from hell and the pilot never came on to say why, although the flight attendant said we hit the tail end of a hurricane. We were headed into Georgia from the Caribbean.

I don't want my ice cream melty. I want it firm. Then I pour booze over it and it tastes better and also softens up.

On rare occasions I will skip dinner and just have dessert. The dessert is usually pie or cake. I'm not going to skip dinner for ice cream.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:40 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever flown over a memorable place where the pilot comes on the intercom to announce what you're seeing, and have you missed a sight because you were on the wrong side of the plane? We've flown over the Grand Canyon where the pilot announced the scenic view below. One time the pilot circled around the Canyon so people on both sides could experience seeing it.

Good or bad, do you have any memories of airline or airport employees: pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, baggage clerks, etc.? No bad memories, most of the time it was just flying as usual with good service. Though one time our baggage didn't arrive on our scheduled plane but the airline called the next day to say they had it and they delivered it a few days later to our house. That incident happened during the 911 confusion at the airports all over the country.

Are there any culture shocks - good or bad - you've experienced, whether traveling or not, and if yes, can you give any example(s)? No culture shocks. Most places overseas nowadays the people we came in contact with spoke excellent English and served American type foods if you wanted it.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you thaw ice cream to soften it before dishing, and if so, how (microwave or set it on the counter) and for how long? We have a special scooper that thaws as we scoop.

Do you ever wait a while after a meal before dessert? We usually have desert 1-2 hours after dinner, and sometimes even 3 or 4 hours after dinner.

Have a tasty Thursday! u-2

Old 11-02-2023, 02:29 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question(s):
Not that I recall.
No complaints.
I have two cousins who are flight attendants and one of my cousins is married to a Pilot.

Not really. Not that I can recall at any rate. I haven't flown in years though.
Foodie Question(s):
Sometimes I sit it on the counter for a few minutes.
I only have dessert on a rare occasion. If I am full from my meal, I save dessert for later on.

Have a tasty Thursday!

U2
Thanks for the questions

Old 11-02-2023, 04:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Have you ever flown over a memorable place where the pilot comes on the intercom to announce what you're seeing, and have you missed a sight because you were on the wrong side of the plane? Yes. Like Nit-Wit & E-Twist said, the Grand Canyon. I flew over that on the way to Vegas. It was a hole in the ground.

Good or bad, do you have any memories of airline or airport employees: pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, baggage clerks, etc.? No. I haven't flown often, and I always hated it.

Are there any culture shocks - good or bad - you've experienced, whether traveling or not, and if yes, can you give any example(s)? No culture shocks.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you thaw ice cream to soften it before dishing, No and if so, how (microwave or set it on the counter) and for how long?

Do you ever wait a while after a meal before dessert? Yes, I wait, or skip it.
Thanks, bjh

Old 11-02-2023, 04:43 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Yes for the first part, not sure for the second. I don't remember but probably not.
Only good.
Yes. When I came to the US, emigrating from Germany. People here were very open and friendly, made small talk everywhere, they said "Excuse me" and "Sorry" all the time etc. I was not used to this. Nothing like that in Germany, ha ha.
Foodie Question(s):
Sometimes.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics