Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 01:22 PM

6,903 posts, read 4,917,939 times

Advertisements

That deer was a magnificent jumper. Too bad the pick-up was there. That probably hurt a bit and bruised it up.

There was a bear caught on camera about three miles from me. I've not seen any on my property - knock on wood. No alligators or wolves around. Plenty of coyotes, cougars, and bobcats. The vultures sometimes swoop over my house. They are ugly but magnificent in the air.

I've never been to a service for a murdered person. Hope it never happens .

I have a niece with bright red hair and blue eyes. I have two sisters with darker red hair and green eyes. My Grandmother was a red head and I think her eyes were blue, but I am not sure. She's been dead a long time now.

Last edited by E-Twist; 11-13-2023 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 07:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,229,287 times
LauraC;---Did you know that the rarest hair and eye color combination is red hair with blue eyes? It is 0.17 percent of the world population.
Maternal grandmothers (on each side)
THE QUESTIONS

Have you ever paid a price for procrastinating? Every Day
What happened because you procrastinated? getting further and further behind (some day it won't matter any more)

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert where you were expected to bring your own chair or blanket to sit on? Often
If yes, what type of concert was it? Summer in the park - bluegrass to opera -- nearby 13 day Folk Festival (since 1972)

Have you ever been to a religious funeral service, ...that was not your own religion? often
If yes, before the service did you give any thought to what you might be expected to say, sing, wear or do? - yes, because I was officiating (not often, but sometimes). It all worked out in the end, but it's tough doing those services for the very few great friends (who are always are called home too early)

Have you ever attended any type of funeral service for a person who was murdered? Only by distracted driver (killed the very teacher (biking home) that personally nurtured this driver for 4 yrs to be able to (barely) graduate)
The deceased teacher's wife and kids (very good friends) happened upon the accident and recognized the bike and the expected time he should have been home. Not pretty (directly in front of our church)

Did you know the deceased, personally or was it the kind the whole community shows up for? Very close friend. (BTW, my babysitter and her boyfriend were killed by a serial murderer after leaving our house, when I was age 5, I attended that service too)

Have you ever attended any type of funeral ..due to a weather-related incident? Yes, I lost a lot of friends, neighbors, classmates and coworkers in the Big T flood of 1976. (144 deaths - including a friend and neighbor, Sgts Purdy) https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...ores/87524858/
Lost (3) Neighbor kids to a flood when I was age 8. I witnessed them washing away while trying to save their pigs. More personal funerals, often classmates - due to tractor / farm accidents. (not weather related)

Have you seen any of these ... where you live?

deer (every day... 26 in the front yard last month)
alligators (on a highway in FL)
coyotes (nearly every day) They have cost me a lot of excellent cats! (and vet bills)
bears (a few / yr - I've seen (6) in one day while adventure riding (solo)) Very large bear spent the summer bedded down very near our home. Neighbor took some great pics)
vultures - Nearly everyday (feasting on road kill, sometimes in my front yard of cabin)
wolves - only when in YNP and Glacier

For the ones you answered “yes” to, do you know what to do if you should come in contact with them when you are not in a vehicle or building? Yes... scare them off! (they are usually not too fond of people)
If you knew what to do, how did you know? Farm kid. Basic training at home and in country schools. (Elk and Moose are the more obvious and frequent dangers, and snakes... lots of rattlesnakes in my youth.)

I'm a Commercial truck driver in the wild west. Most interesting thing was a HUGE Buffalo, running along the freeway (about as fast as the traffic). Don't ask my spouse about the wild burros in the Black Hills "You just drove off and LEFT ME stuck in the middle of a herd of burros?" Yup... they were kicking and I couldn't risk getting the car dented... (first day of 12 week road / camping trip / first yr of marriage (could have been the LAST!)

Have you seen this video? Yep... Stuff like that happens when I finally find a buyer for my trucks
I expect it

Old 11-13-2023, 10:28 PM

44,388 posts, read 20,111,153 times
Did you know that the rarest hair and eye color combination is red hair with blue eyes? It is 0.17 percent of the world population. I never gave it any thought, but I'm not surprised.

THE QUESTIONS

Have you ever paid a price for procrastinating? Yep.

What happened because you procrastinated? I procrastinate a lot, and the price I pay is the anxiety it causes me because I didn't do the task in a timely fashion. I always get things done, but wait till the last minute to do them.

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert where you were expected to bring your own chair or blanket to sit on? Yes, many times.
If yes, what type of concert was it? Symphony orchestra; rock bands.

Have you ever been to a religious funeral service, in a religious place of worship (examples: church, temple, etc.) that was not your own religion? Yes.
If yes, before the service did you give any thought to what you might be expected to say, sing, wear or do? Yes. I asked people what the general customs were so I wouldn't commit any faux pas.

Have you ever attended any type of funeral service for a person who was murdered? Wow. Such a serious question. My answer is no.
Did you know the deceased, personally or was it the kind the whole community shows up for? N/A

Have you ever attended any type of funeral service for a person or persons who died due to a weather-related (examples: lightning, earthquake, flooding, tornado, hurricane, etc.) incident? No.

Have you seen any of these on the streets, in your yard, in the parking lots, in the skies, on the buildings, or in any woods where you live? In other words, roaming freely, not dead or in an enclosed setting like a zoo or aquarium.

deer Yes, frequently.
alligators No. No gators in NW IN.
coyotes Yes, occasionally.
bears No. No bears in NW IN.
vultures Yes. I've seen about 10 turkey vultures in the area this fall.
wolves No. No wolves in NW IN.

For the ones you answered “yes” to, do you know what to do if you should come in contact with them when you are not in a vehicle or building? I just keep my distance. On time, several years ago, I was walking alone on a wooded trail in a county park and when I rounded a bend I was less than ten feet from a large buck. Normally, I wouldn't be frightened, but it was fall and the rutting season, when bucks are aggressive and unpredictable. I froze in my tracks and the buck and I just stared each other down for maybe 20 seconds or so as I thought about my next move. He stood his ground, so I slowly walked backward away from him and eventually turned around and kept walking. When I was a good distance away, I saw that the buck had moved a bit, over to the edge of the trail and was grazing. A few minutes later, when he'd moved farther from the trail, I turned around and finished my trek.
If you knew what to do, how did you know? It was just instinct on my part.

Have you seen this video? It’s only 50 seconds long. News stations in Australia even picked it up. What did you think after seeing it? I hadn't seen it till just now. It made me very sad, because even though the deer ran away, I'm certain it was injured, probably internally and maybe some broken bones. It probably died. I've witnessed two similar deer-versus-vehicle encounters and in both cases the deer was mortally wounded. I cried.

Thanks for the Monday questions, LauraC.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-14-2023, 09:56 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,808,581 times
Did you know that the rarest hair and eye color combination is red hair with blue eyes? It is 0.17 percent of the world population.
That's odd that you should mention, I was with the very person you described today, my Mother. She's a ginger. It didn't show up again in the family until my brother had a red-headed son. It pops up in the weirdest places. Can you guess what my heritage is?

THE QUESTIONS

Have you ever paid a price for procrastinating?
Yep. I'm better now that I'm older, but there's a ton of things that I paid the price for because I procrastinated. It gets done now, eventually.
What happened because you procrastinated?
Oh I don't know, it doesn't work when there are deadlines so I lost a couple of jobs when I was young. Get old and learn.

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert where you were expected to bring your own chair or blanket to sit on?
Mercy yes, we always took chairs to events and concerts, as well as huge coolers. It was the 80's and 90's so yep.
If yes, what type of concert was it?
The first concert I remember (I'm having deja vu)was a Peter Frampton outdoor concert when I was 14 or so. My parents knew nothing about it. Still don't.

Have you ever been to a religious funeral service, in a religious place of worship (examples: church, temple, etc.) that was not your own religion?
Oh yes, many.

If yes, before the service did you give any thought to what you might be expected to say, sing, wear or do?
No, I wore what I wanted except when I was very young. No thought whatsoever to saying, singing or wearing. Yeah, I was taken to funerals when I was 7 and up. I'm still freaked out by viewings.

Have you ever attended any type of funeral service for a person who was murdered?
I know someone who was, I knew him personally. I didn't attend the funeral because I could not have handled it.
Did you know the deceased, personally or was it the kind the whole community shows up for?
Oops well my answer is above. The whole community probably did show up, he was well-loved by everyone and his family had the business he ran for many years. It was over nothing....jealousy.

Have you ever attended any type of funeral service for a person or persons who died due to a weather-related (examples: lightning, earthquake, flooding, tornado, hurricane, etc.) incident?
Fortunately, no. When living on the coast, there were hurricanes of course but I don't ever remember one where anyone I knew was killed via a natural disaster. That would be horrible.

Have you seen any of these on the streets, in your yard, in the parking lots, in the skies, on the buildings, or in any woods where you live? In other words, roaming freely, not dead or in an enclosed setting like a zoo or aquarium.

deer - Every evening right now. It's so special that they are comfortable enough, in our
part of the neighborhood, to come out of the woods and play, drink water and nibble on the grass in
my neighbor's front yard. He gives them water, no food. They'd never leave lol.

alligators - not yet.
coyotes - not in person, just caught on camera
bears - not yet, we have them and they are active in all the neighborhoods right now.
vultures - yes
wolves - Nah, just those dog and cat eating coyotes

For the ones you answered “yes” to, do you know what to do if you should come in contact with them when you are not in a vehicle or building?
no worries about the deer, we're all a little concerned about the coyotes and the bears, just don't go outside walking around at night. We have to worry about raccoons too.
If you knew what to do, how did you know?
You know I really don't know what to do if I encountered a bear or coyote, I need to research that. I guess I'd be dead meat because I can't run.

Have you seen this video? It’s only 50 seconds long. News stations in Australia even picked it up. What did you think after seeing it?
I heard about this, that is amazing. That deer was flying, I think Santa is missing a reindeer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4w9WsvfEI

Thanks Laura, fun questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics