Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 09:20 PM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 3, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Sagittarius. Famous people born on this date include painter Gilbert Stuart, U.S. Civil War General George B. McClellan, novelist Joseph Conrad, psychologist Anna Freud, composer Nino Rota, director-cinematographer Sven Nykvist, country singer Ferlin Husky, race car driver Bobby Allison, film director Jean-Luc Godard, singer Andy Williams, rocker Ozzy Osbourne, actresses Heather Menzies, Daryl Hannah, Anna Chlumsky and Amanda Seyfried; comedian-actress Tiffany Haddish, figure skater Katarina Witt and rapper Lil Baby.

Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? What types of pets were they, and what were their names? Do you have any pets now?

What types of exercise do you do, and how often?

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was?

What are your favorite films in black and white?

If I had only known _____________, then I would _________________

Today in History:
1775 – American Revolutionary War: USS Alfred becomes the first vessel to fly the Grand Union Flag (the precursor to the Stars and Stripes); the flag is hoisted by John Paul Jones.
1799 – War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Wiesloch: Austrian Lieutenant Field Marshal Anton Sztáray defeats the French at Wiesloch.
1800 – War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Hohenlinden: French General Jean Victor Marie Moreau decisively defeats the Archduke John of Austria near Munich. Coupled with First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte's earlier victory at Marengo, this will force the Austrians to sign an armistice and end the war.
1800 – United States presidential election: The Electoral College casts votes for president and vice president that result in a tie between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr.
1818 – Illinois becomes the 21st U.S. state.
1834 – The Zollverein (German Customs Union) begins the first regular census in Germany.
1859 – Nigeria's first newspaper, missionary Henry Townsend's Iwe Irohin, was published.
1898 – The Duquesne Country and Athletic Club defeats an all-star collection of early football players 16–0, in what is considered to be the very first all-star game for professional American football.
1901 – In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt delivers a 20,000-word speech to the House of Representatives asking Congress to curb the power of trusts "within reasonable limits".
1904 – The Jovian moon Himalia is discovered by Charles Dillon Perrine at California's Lick Observatory.
1910 – Modern neon lighting is first demonstrated by Georges Claude at the Paris Motor Show.
1912 – Bulgaria, Greece, Montenegro, and Serbia (the Balkan League) sign an armistice with the Ottoman Empire, temporarily halting the First Balkan War. (The armistice will expire on February 3, 1913, and hostilities will resume.)
1925 – Final agreement is signed between the Irish Free State, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom formalizing the Partition of Ireland.
1929 – President Herbert Hoover delivers his first State of the Union message to Congress. It is presented in the form of a written message rather than a speech.
1938 – Nazi Germany issues the Decree on the Utilization of Jewish Property forcing Jews to sell real property, businesses, and stocks at below market value as part of Aryanization
1959 – The current flag of Singapore is adopted, six months after Singapore became self-governing within the British Empire.
1960 – The musical “Camelot” debuts at the Majestic Theatre on Broadway. It will become associated with the Kennedy administration.
1967 – At Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa, a transplant team headed by Christiaan Barnard carries out the first heart transplant on a human (53-year-old Louis Washkansky).
1971 – Indo-Pakistani War of 1971: Pakistan launches a pre-emptive strike against India and a full-scale war begins.
1973 – Pioneer program: Pioneer 10 sends back the first close-up images of Jupiter.
1979 – Iranian Revolution: Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini becomes the first Supreme Leader of Iran.
1982 – A soil sample is taken from Times Beach, Missouri, that will be found to contain 300 times the safe level of dioxin.
1984 – Bhopal disaster: A methyl isocyanate leak from a Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, kills more than 3,800 people outright and injures 150,000–600,000 others (some 6,000 of whom later died from their injuries) in one of the worst industrial disasters in history.
1989 – In a meeting off the coast of Malta, U.S. President George H. W. Bush and Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev release statements indicating that the Cold War between NATO and the Warsaw Pact may be coming to an end.
1992 – A test engineer for Sema Group uses a personal computer to send the world's first text message via the Vodafone network to the phone of a colleague.
1997 – In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, representatives from 121 countries sign the Ottawa Treaty prohibiting manufacture and deployment of anti-personnel landmines. The United States, People's Republic of China, and Russia do not sign the treaty, however.
1999 – NASA loses radio contact with the Mars Polar Lander moments before the spacecraft enters the Martian atmosphere.
2005 – XCOR Aerospace makes the first crewed rocket aircraft delivery of U.S. Mail in Kern County, California.
2007 – Winter storms cause the Chehalis River to flood many cities in Lewis County, Washington, and close a 32-kilometre (20 mi) portion of Interstate 5 for several days. At least eight deaths and billions of dollars in damages are blamed on the floods.
2014 – The Japanese space agency, JAXA, launches the space explorer Hayabusa2 from the Tanegashima Space Center on a six-year round trip mission to an asteroid to collect rock samples.
2021 – COVID-19 pandemic: New Zealand moves into COVID-19 Protection Framework (Traffic Light System), moving Auckland out of lockdown for fully vaccinated people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 09:31 PM

1,863 posts, read 840,139 times
Did you have pets when you were growing up? What types of pets were they, and what were their names? Do you have any pets now? Fishes lots of fishes. Never bothered to name them. Not right now.

What types of exercise do you do, and how often? Cycling, walking and weights. Did the first two today, but I'll normally choose one a day.

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was? Marie Callender's cheese & garlic croutons. The stores use to sell out of them right away, then they moved to online only and now they're no more. Eventually found an alternative, but they also disappeared a few months ago.

What are your favorite films in black and white? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I had only known a lot of things, then I would be rich.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:48 PM

35,239 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Thanks, as always, for the questions. And I look forward to historical information. Even if I have a few quibbles.[/b]

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 3, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Sagittarius. Famous people born on this date include painter Gilbert Stuart, U.S. Civil War General George B. McClellan, novelist Joseph Conrad, psychologist Anna Freud, composer Nino Rota, director-cinematographer Sven Nykvist, country singer Ferlin Husky, race car driver Bobby Allison, film director Jean-Luc Godard, singer Andy Williams, rocker Ozzy Osbourne, actresses Heather Menzies, Daryl Hannah, Anna Chlumsky and Amanda Seyfried; comedian-actress Tiffany Haddish, figure skater Katarina Witt and rapper Lil Baby.
And yesterday, my wife and sister in law. Though it is still her birthday when I am writing out these answers.

Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? What types of pets were they, and what were their names? Do you have any pets now? No pets now. My mother was allergic to dogs, but when she got remarried after my father‘s death, we had a black Royal standard poodle from 1974 to 1978.

What types of exercise do you do, and how often? Walking and tennis, as often as I can.

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was? Turkish taffy

What are your favorite films in black and white?Charlie Chaplin

Not sure how to answer

Today in History:

1799 – War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Wiesloch: Austrian Lieutenant Field Marshal Anton Sztáray defeats the French at Wiesloch.
1800 – War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Hohenlinden: French General Jean Victor Marie Moreau decisively defeats the Archduke John of Austria near Munich. Coupled with First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte's earlier victory at Marengo, this will force the Austrians to sign an armistice and end the war. Typical European insanity? One war after another.
1938 – Nazi Germany issues the Decree on the Utilization of Jewish Property forcing Jews to sell real property, businesses, and stocks at below market value as part of Aryanization People should have believed at that point what Hitler was all about.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:41 PM

998 posts, read 551,745 times
Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? What types of pets were they, and what were their names? Do you have any pets now?Cats and dogs. Cats: Ptolemy, Woodie. Dogs: April, Licorice and Shante. Now just our lab/pit mix Flower.

3 sets of pushups, pull/chin ups, lower back raises, bench dips and an ab exercise. Three times per week, only takes about 15 minutes.

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was?
I guess not.

Schindlers List, Sin City, Pi, Clerks, Raging Bull

If I had only known my value as a person, then I would have left home at age 16 and never would have spoken to my family. I would have simply disappeared into another life and identity. Maybe even changed my name.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:04 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? In my younger days we had a cat, a dog, parakeets, turtles, frogs, aquarium fish and a partridge in a pear tree.

What types of pets were they, and what were their names? ^^^Dogs name was Rocco, rest don't remember.

Do you have any pets now? 2-Pet rocks, Stoner & Pebbles.

What types of exercise do you do, and how often? Twice weekly take out the trash, daily check the mail, evenings beer pong, nightly getting in and out of bed.

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was? Hadacol, can't find it anymore.

What are your favorite films in black and white? Home movies of yore.

If I had only known when I was much younger, then I would have invested in more real estate.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:27 AM

12,453 posts, read 2,983,198 times
Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? What types of pets were they, and what were their names? Do you have any pets now?
Cats and dogs. Not now.

At home daily.

Many are not as much or the quality has gone down.

I don't have any

If I had only known my value as a person, then I would have left home at age 18 and never would have spoken to my parents. I would have simply disappeared into another life and identity. Maybe even changed my name.

With a couple changes I'm stealing the above answer because it's so good!

Old 12-03-2023, 12:41 AM

11,386 posts, read 9,306,180 times
Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? What types of pets were they, and what were their names? Do you have any pets now? - I never had a pet as an adult.

When I was either 5 or 6 years old I remember a little white dog that we had for 5 days. I remember asking what happened to it and my father's only response was "I got rid of it." I was sad. I always wondered what happened to that dog...

What types of exercise do you do, and how often? - I'm pretty active at work at times but I have a desk job. I do have to walk into a large warehouse several times per day...

Before this I used to walk a lot. At the end of my day now between the job and commute, my energy level is a bit on the low side. I do extra walking on the weekends.

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was? - Just a few items that are no longer made.

What are your favorite films in black and white? - 3 Stooges.

Off the top I thought of about 5 answers for this but they are way too depressing for me to post.

Thanks, Bay!

Last edited by John13; 12-03-2023 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 12-03-2023, 03:11 AM

14,815 posts, read 8,145,319 times
Today’s Questions:
Yes. We had dogs and cats when I was growing up.

They were Princess, Brownie, Sugar Bear and Frisky.
Yes, I have cats now.

Walk and housework.

Yes, several things have been discontinued over the years.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Psycho, Abbot and Costello Films, three Stooges, Schindler's List

If I had only known what I know now, then I would done some things differently.

Thanks for the questions Bay!

Old 12-03-2023, 05:50 AM

3,152 posts, read 1,031,834 times
Good morning.

Yes. A rabbit, a few hamsters, a guinea pig, a goldfinch (he was free - no cage), a few aquariums, two dogs, two hedgehogs for a short period of time. I think that's it if I'm not forgetting someone. Their names are private. I do have a cat now.

Walking, stationary bike, weights, yoga, Pilates. A few times/week mostly walking, yoga and Pilates.

A few things: a type of bread from Trader Joe's, Nutella has changed the formula (less nuts more sugar now), Levi's jeans, Caress soap etc.

Laurel and Hardy.

If I had only known __myself__, then I would __have been true___

Thanks Bay.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:21 AM

9,736 posts, read 14,292,508 times
Today’s Questions:
Did you have pets when you were growing up? YesWhat types of pets were they, and what were their names? Our pets were horses, ponies, donkeys, and shepherd dogs. Horses names were: Silver, Shay, Fire, Connie, and Fred. Ponies were: Brown, Nancy, Skipper and Tonto. Our German shepherd dogs rounded up the cattle and chased geese off of our wheat fields. They were: Bomber, Bono, Cybil, Arttie and Mack. We never had any inside pets.

What types of exercise do you do, and how often? Every Day: My exercise involves walking off lots, both small and larger acerage, crawling under houses to inspect foundations for moisture or sagging beams, inspecting attics, measuring and inspecting large 3 story homes (along with smaller homes), measuring and inspecting pole barns. That's enough exercise every day for any 82 year old!

Is there a product you used to like that you can’t find anymore or if you can, it doesn’t seem as good as it once was? Can't think of any.

What are your favorite films in black and white? Not a fan of movies.

If I had only known what I know now I would not have been so trusting of others.

Thanks Bay

Last edited by rdlr; 12-03-2023 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics