Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 08:45 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

1) When did you last fill up or charge up your car? Hubby filled up yesterday.

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City. It’s Savannah.

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use? I only speak English, but I can read a French or Spanish menu.

4) When was the last time your electric power went out? It went out a few days ago for about 2 hours. No explanation.

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other? I have an alarm clock, but I would use my phone.

6) Have you recently woken up and found an appliance's clock flashing? Yes, if the power goes off during the night, the stove and microwave will be flashing.

7) When was your last power outage lasting more than twelve hours? About 5-6 months ago, the main pole was taken out by a truck, and it took several days to fix it.

8) Do you ever walk backwards to maintain eye contact during a conversation? I have enough trouble walking forwards.

9) If you ski, can you ski backwards a short distance? Not on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 09:17 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
1) When did you last fill up or charge up your car?
Last car I filled up was about 3 weeks ago.

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City.
I'm in a city. I might say I'm going to a city that is close to us.

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use?
Spanish

4) When was the last time your electric power went out?
About 7 months ago.

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other?
Tiger the cat.

6) Have you recently woken up and found an appliance's clock flashing?
No

7) When was your last power outage lasting more than twelve hours?
About 7 months ago.

8) Do you ever walk backwards to maintain eye contact during a conversation?
No

9) If you ski, can you ski backwards a short distance?
I used to water ski backwards for a short distance.

Thanx JB

Old 03-09-2024, 09:40 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
1) When did you last fill up or charge up your car? First part of the week

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City. In town is Mayfield, Ky.

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use? Just English

4) When was the last time your electric power went out? Utility company had a scheduled outage at midnight a few months ago

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other? Since we went from cable to roku, we don't have the clock on the cable box. So we bought an alarm clock to put in front of the TV

6) Have you recently woken up and found an appliance's clock flashing? Nope

7) When was your last power outage lasting more than twelve hours? After the December 10, 2021 tornado. It was out for a week

8) Do you ever walk backwards to maintain eye contact during a conversation? Nope

9) If you ski, can you ski backwards a short distance? Can't ski

Old 03-09-2024, 10:01 AM

99,621 posts, read 4,495,071 times
I don't own a car.

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City.
I live downtown in my City, so I'm already here.

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use?
Spanish a few times

I think it has been over a year.

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other?
Rarely need it, but I use my phone if necessary.

It has been many years since that happened.

Last one I can recall was in 1989 during the Loma Prieta earthquake.

No, I'm not interested in falling flat on my back and sustaining a cracked noggin.

I don't ski at all.

Thanks, jbgusa!

Old 03-09-2024, 10:18 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,684,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I didn't see questions posted so I thought I'd give this a crack. Moderator, someone else did and I didn't see it please close the thread.

1) When did you last fill up or charge up your car? Three days ago.

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City. 'Into town' would mean Hillsboro where we live. If either of us goes to Portland, we just say "going to Portland."

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use? I just speak English. I grew up knowing a little bit of Portuguese but even then it wasn't enough to carry a conversation.

4) When was the last time your electric power went out? I think it bleeped out for a minute or two sometime last year. We got lucky this winter, compared to many people 'in Portland'.

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other? I still use the old digital clock to see the time but use my phone for alarms.

6) Have you recently woken up and found an appliance's clock flashing? Not recently - maybe last summer or so.

7) When was your last power outage lasting more than twelve hours? Never had one that long.

8) Do you ever walk backwards to maintain eye contact during a conversation? LOL!! No, I don't think so.

9) If you ski, can you ski backwards a short distance? Nope, don't ski. 'Cold fun' ain't my thing.
See ya!

Old 03-09-2024, 10:32 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
[QUOTE

1) When did you last fill up or charge up your car? My husband does that so its been more than a year since I had to do that.

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City. I guess I am a bumpkin because I never say "I'm going into the city". "into town" I don't say that either.....If I were going into Fort Myers.....he would be driving so he would know where I was going.

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use? In Japan they usually have pictural menus with photographs of the set lunches....I can point in several languages.

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other? I have no trouble waking up....its going to sleep and staying asleep that is the challenge.

6) Have you recently woken up and found an appliance's clock flashing? No

7) When was your last power outage lasting more than twelve hours? Years ago.

8) Do you ever walk backwards to maintain eye contact during a conversation? Been known to do that.

9) If you ski, can you ski backwards a short distance?[/quote] N/A

Old 03-09-2024, 10:45 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
I usually fill up once a week.

Last power outage was last June, when the tornado (just an F1) hit. Nearly the whole town was out for a week.
Happy Saturday~~~

Old 03-09-2024, 10:59 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
I didn't see questions posted so I thought I'd give this a crack. Moderator, someone else did and I didn't see it please close the thread.

Three days ago. I was taking a day trip to MX.

I just say: I go to ... Dallas, or Houston, for example. Or: I go to Downtown, if I am already in that city.

Spanish, Russian, Polish and German. Hungarian and Swedish with some help of a dictionary. I try Korean in my friends restaurant.

Few months ago. It goes out frequently during a thunderstorm.

In a rare occasion when I need to get up at an unusual hour, I will use phone with a backup of an electric alarm clock. WakeupDialer.com - very useful! It's free and has beautiful way to wake you up

Not recently, but few months ago.

During The (infamous) Texas Great Freeze in February 2021. I lost power for 4 days.

Huh? No. Not to maintain "personal space". If we "walk and talk" then I just walk with the person and we glance at each other while walking and talking.
I might bent or squat when talking to small children.

I don't ski.

Thank you, jbgusa!!

Last edited by elnina; 03-09-2024 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-09-2024, 11:49 AM

1,374 posts, read 616,388 times

### Filled yesterday

### I just say going to town.

### Spanish.

### About 3 weeks ago upstate. Generator took over

### Electric at home. Cell phone when traveling

### Not recently, no.

### Years ago.

### Just a few steps

###

### THX for filling in , jb

### Good Saturday everyone

Old 03-09-2024, 03:51 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
1) When did you last fill up or charge up your car? A few hours ago.

2) When you personally say you’re going “into town” or “to the City” where is that? For example, for me “into town” is Port Chester or White Plains” and “the City” is New York City. For me, "into town" is the downtown of the city I live in in NW IN and going to "the City" means Chicago, which is just over an hour's drive.

3) When doing business at a store or restaurant, what languages other than English have you used or had to use? I haven't found it necessary to use any language other than English when shopping. Although, when in EU, I say please, thank you and a few other phrases in the local language, just to be polite.

4) When was the last time your electric power went out? Except for the occasional flicker off, it hasn't been out for more than seconds for several months.

5) What do you use for an alarm clock? A clock radio. A pet? A wind-up clock? An electric alarm clock? Your phone? Other?

6) Have you recently woken up and found an appliance's clock flashing? No. Last time was when the power flickered off for probably one or two seconds, a few weeks ago.

7) When was your last power outage lasting more than twelve hours? Fall of 2022. An Internet provider was in the process of buying fiberoptic cables in my neighborhood, and during excavation they struck a gas pipe. The gas and electric power in the entire neighborhood had to be shut off about 20 hours. It was a pain in the butt; however, the shutoffs diverted a disaster.

8) Do you ever walk backwards to maintain eye contact during a conversation? No.

9) If you ski, can you ski backwards a short distance? Can't ski backwards.

Thanks for filling in again, jbgusa.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics