Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM

44,413 posts, read 20,164,065 times

Advertisements

I just had a nice surprise at the office. My boss had flowers sent to all the women on the staff. I wasn't aware that tomorrow is Administrative Professionals Day, or whatever it's called now. What a lovely surprise, to receive such a gorgeous floral arrangement! Yellow orchids, white roses, pink tulips, yellow gerbera daisies and a couple other flowers whose names escape me right now. Beautiful!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,264,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I just had a nice surprise at the office. My boss had flowers sent to all the women on the staff. I wasn't aware that tomorrow is Administrative Professionals Day, or whatever it's called now. What a lovely surprise, to receive such a gorgeous floral arrangement! Yellow orchids, white roses, pink tulips, yellow gerbera daisies and a couple other flowers whose names escape me right now. Beautiful!
Beautiful flowers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM

24,585 posts, read 26,149,284 times
Quote:
I just had a nice surprise at the office. My boss had flowers sent to all the women on the staff. I wasn't aware that tomorrow is Administrative Professionals Day, or whatever it's called now. What a lovely surprise, to receive such a gorgeous floral arrangement! Yellow orchids, white roses, pink tulips, yellow gerbera daisies and a couple other flowers whose names escape me right now. Beautiful!.
No guys on the staff?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM

44,413 posts, read 20,164,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
No guys on the staff?
I know - it's not fair!

The holiday used to be Secretaries Day, but we have no secretaries in the office. I guess the holiday was expanded to include more people. I'm a paralegal and we have accountants, payroll people, an insurance and safety expert and a receptionist - all female and all received flowers. The guys don't seem to mind that we get flowers every year for Administrative Professionals Day and also at Christmas time. I guess we're considered support staff, although I doubt any of them could do any of our jobs competently!

It's nice that our head honcho is so appreciative. He does a lot of nice things for the males in the company as well.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times
Quote:
I know - it's not fair!

The holiday used to be Secretaries Day, but we have no secretaries in the office. I guess the holiday was expanded to include more people. I'm a paralegal and we have accountants, payroll people, an insurance and safety expert and a receptionist - all female and all received flowers. The guys don't seem to mind that we get flowers every year for Administrative Professionals Day and also at Christmas time. I guess we're considered support staff, although I doubt any of them could do any of our jobs competently!

It's nice that our head honcho is so appreciative. He does a lot of nice things for the males in the company as well.

I thought your post was a nice mention of your employer until the point where you made the sexist comment. Perhaps they cannot do your job competently because they have not been trained to do so and not because they are "men"?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,737,372 times
Quote:

Yes, they are beautiful,PJ. You got a decent boss.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM

21,639 posts, read 8,794,534 times
Those flowers are just gorgeous. Having worked as an "administrative professional" in the past (only we were called "secretaries" then), I know only too well how it feels to be regarded as support staff, i.e. less important than the bosses, and how very much these folks appreciate being acknowledged and thanked.

By the way I don't think Pam's remark was sexist since bosses do tend to be predominantly male and support staff tends to be predominantly female (although this is changing). My old bosses, whether male or female, probably couldn't have done my job regardless of gender.

Oh, yes -- a good thing happened today. I don't have to cook! We are going out for Italian food.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,963,193 times
Wow Pam those are beautiful flowers and pictures that you took.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 AM

36,500 posts, read 16,096,234 times
Pam has a boss we all dream of, at least I do Beautiful!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 AM

87 posts, read 135,082 times
Hey Aksarben,
Wish you happy day today which things happened with you, and its your right to be happy and as your are nice human being i hope every day you will have happy day,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics