Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times

Advertisements

Did you ever notice how many people shy away from controversy? If it’s a topic of political, religious, or hot subject most people would like not to talk about it. Isn’t it important to share your thoughts and feeling about a subject? Have you ever “held your comments” with others only later wishing that you had said something to them? Just because your opinions or views may differ doesn’t mean that you’re a bad person. And wouldn’t you normally feel better if you only had said something in that social group when you kept quiet.

And the sound in the room becomes dead quiet as you spoke with all those eyes upon you. Wow what an ugly feeling, but you do have opinions and said what you believe to be correct for you and your family.

When do you decide to speak or not and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
It doesn't matter because nobody ever listens to me anyway, but if I get mad enough I'll say something. Some people are really ignorant and they have their own beliefs that are inexcusably wrong, but they will never change their minds about--those people I just keep my mouth shut or laugh ( sometimes the laugh just sort of bursts out before I can stop it).

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 06-02-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: verificationamundo

Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
I personally enjoy engaging in such discussions with people who are able to articulately express their case and why they hold to their views.
I can greatly respect them, and yet still disagree with them - nearly a lost art.

60 minutes had a great piece several years ago about the close relationship between Justices Ginsburg & Scalia (Supreme Court). Nearly polar opposites politically, yet admit they thoroughly enjoy each other's company and have even been known to vacation together.

Iron sharpens iron as they say...

Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Too many people mistake feelings for facts and ideas. They emote: I just wanna FEEL this way about such-and-such a subject. Don't blind them with facts.

Sometimes the purpose of interacting with someone just has nothing to do with our differing opinions. It isn't necessary that they agree with my p.o.v. or that they even know it.

In some cases I have comfortable ties with people whose political or religious opinions differ from my own. When they state an opinion that I don't agree with, I ignore it. Some of them have no idea I think their beliefs are foolish. Some of them assume I agree with them because of my selected silence on their opinions. It is entirely possible some of them wouldn't want to associate with me if they knew I think differently about some things than they do.

Just move on. Pick your battles.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,549,203 times
Agree with a lot that has already been said. A lot of people get opinions and feelings mixed up.

Now as far as when to speak, I have always been good about opening mouth and inserting foot, or so my wife says. And I am not bashful about sharing my point of view on certain subjects, maybe not so much on a forum such as this, but in person, well that is a different story.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,140,827 times
In real life, I'm pretty direct and opinionated. On CD, not so much. I do have a reputation to uphold, after all.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Hmm...that' interesting Sweetie Pie because it's the opposite for me. My brain doesn't work quite right when trying to verbalize things but at CD I have no problem. I look/sound a whole lot smarter on-line than I do in person.

As far as debating and confrontations....I'm a monster. In person and online anger is a good motivating force to articulate my words, good or bad, but online I have a little more control by way of editing and deleting and taking my time to say what I what to say.....correctly. I'm a very impulsive person and speak/act way before I think most of the time. Wow, has that gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM

36,423 posts, read 16,036,192 times
After the deafening silence, the chatter begins, like I never said anything...

Hello... I have an opinion on this subject and I didn't just fall off the turnip truck Ok no comments from the peanut gallery

Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
It depends on who I'm with.

If it's someone who I know I can have an intelligent conversation with then I'll discuss touchy subjects.

I won't discuss politics or religion with someone who blames Bush or Obama for their dog getting sick because it ate a sock.

I just won't waste my time or energy.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM

72,421 posts, read 18,205,480 times
There are two things you don't discuss when you meet someone for the first time that is religion and politics. Especially when you start heating up,you may lose a friend quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics