Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,365,325 times

Advertisements

Happy Sunday, all! It’s warming up here in South-Central Wisconsin: we’re supposed to get all the way up to a blistering 38 degrees for today’s high. I’m starting to think that it’s time to get the shorts out of the attic and fire up the BBQ grill, but before I go do that, let’s have a little fun with:

Today’s Question(s):
If I were to visit your city/town/village/countryside, what local or regional delicacy should I be sure to try while I’m there?

Is there a particular restaurant (or perhaps someone’s kitchen) where I should go for *the best* example of said delicacy?

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to ____________, they had better not try _____________________ again!

Extra Credit Question:
What invention do you wish some bright youngster would come up with?

Today in History:
– Benjamin Franklin, inventor, statesman and kite-flyer, was born in Boston
1871 – The first cable car was patented by Andrew S. Hallidie
1926 – George Burns and Gracie Allen marry
1929 – Popeye the Sailor Man makes his first appearance in the comic strip “Thimble Theater”
1931 – Actor James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader, was born in Mississippi
1969 – Beatles release Yellow Submarine album in the UK

Word of the Day:
Dystopia
\dĭs-tō-pē-ə\ noun;
1. An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.
2. A work of fiction describing such a place or state.

Today Is:
National Hot Buttered Rum Day
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day
Customer Service Day
Kid Inventor’s Day
Liberation Day (Poland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,135,011 times
Today’s Question(s):
If I were to visit your city/town/village/countryside, what local or regional delicacy should I be sure to try while I’m there?
BBQ & Mexican food!!!
Is there a particular restaurant (or perhaps someone’s kitchen) where I should go for *the best* example of said delicacy?
Sure just holler at me when you arrive!!

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to _____??_______, they had better not try _________??____________ again!

Extra Credit Question:

Transporter for time travel and reverse aging!!

Today in History:
1926 – George Burns and Gracie Allen marry
1929 – Popeye the Sailor Man makes his first appearance in the comic strip “Thimble Theater”
1931 – Actor James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader, was born in Mississippi

Word of the Day:
Dystopia
\dĭs-tō-pē-ə\ noun;
1. An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.

Today Is:
National Hot Buttered Rum Day
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day
Customer Service Day
Kid Inventor’s Day
Liberation Day (Poland)

Last edited by SATX56; 01-16-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,958,428 times
Today’s Question(s):
If I were to visit your city/town/village/countryside, what local or regional delicacy should I be sure to try while I’m there? Fried Chicken and fried okra.

Is there a particular restaurant (or perhaps someone’s kitchen) where I should go for *the best* example of said delicacy? Fred's Southern Buffet.

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to buy groceries, they had better not try raise prices again!

Extra Credit Question:
What invention do you wish some bright youngster would come up with? A real transporter that could beam people from point A to point B without burning gas.

Today in History:
1926 – George Burns and Gracie Allen marry Great show.
1969 – Beatles release Yellow Submarine album in the UK I remember that.

Word of the Day:
Dystopia
\dĭs-tō-pē-ə\ noun;

Today Is:
National Hot Buttered Rum Day I'll pass.
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day I love to photograph them.
Customer Service Day I'm not testing the waters.
Kid Inventor’s Day You mean they are invented....I thought we made them.
Liberation Day (Poland) Good for them. I have a Polish Aunt and she is a great cook.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 01-16-2010 at 11:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 11:14 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,035,635 times
Today’s Question(s):

Anchorage is not really known for any special delicacy. Most of the Mom and Pop resturants have disappeared and national chains have replaced them.

You would need to eat at Mooses Tooth Pizza at least once. Also if you are in need of a most excellent, truly greasy burger then stop by the White Spot. They also have a very good halibut sandwich.

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to
the Question Of The Day, they had better not try to give us fill in the blank questions again!

Extra Credit Question:

Windshield wiper blades that snow, ice and dirt really won't stick to.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,258,464 times
Something told me to check for the QOD before I head to bed. Thanks MWBW great questions.

Breaded pork tenderloins they are as big as a salad plate.
Sugar Cream pie

School or church fundraiser dinners are the best place to get the hand breaded tenderloins. Come on over to my house I'll bake ya a sugar cream pie.

The next time I go to the gas station, they had better not try to raise the price 8 cents then lower it by 2 cents again!

Something you could sprinkle between rows in the garden so weeds would never grow. Of course it can not harm my veggie plants though.

Good night you night owls and good morning to all that come behind me.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,438,214 times
Grits. And, because almost everything is a chain right in my suburb, the best restaurant to eat the grits in is the Waffle House. I realize they are also a chain, but their grits are authentic southern grits -- not instant grits (yuk!).

The next time I go to the grocery store, they had better not try to move the pimentoes around again where I can't find them!

A quick way to mop with a brush that actually scrubs the dirt. These "mopping systems" don't cut it. Mopping is my least favorite household job.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 AM

44,737 posts, read 62,007,820 times
Today’s Question(s):
If I were to visit your city/town/village/countryside, what local or regional delicacy should I be sure to try while I’m there? There's steaks and ribs and to be real *local local*, "rattlesnake steak".

Is there a particular restaurant (or perhaps someone’s kitchen) where I should go for *the best* example of said delicacy? At the *Rusltlers Rooste*...

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to the airport, they had better not try to strip search me again!

Extra Credit Question:
What invention do you wish some bright youngster would come up with? A time transporter that would take me instantly to anywhere in the universe. Like, uh, to see if there really is a man, or woman, in the Moon, or if Pluto really came from Disneyland. Sensible things like that. Oh, hey, how about a do it yourself colonoscopy kit. That would really put me out there in Uranus, that's a planet you know..

Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,665,787 times
Today’s Question(s):
Ummm....I'm Southern so anything fried!!

Yes there's a couple that have excellent steak fingers w/half & half

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to a retail store, they had better not try to follow me around again!

Extra Credit Question:
A robot that cleans and cooks

Today Is:
National Hot Buttered Rum Day.......never had it but it sounds good
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day...........wasn't that just the other day??
Customer Service Day..................how can there be a day for something that doesn't exist?
Kid Inventor’s Day.......................I'll take a male robot please
Liberation Day (Poland)................my son is half polish

Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,208,318 times
You go MBW

Today’s Question(s):
Oh gosh we have fish, lobster, steak and BBQ

I found that Rudy's in VA Beach has always been good when I visit there.

Bonus Question:
The next time I go to the grocery store, they had better not try to get me to understand Spanish when swiping my check card again!

Extra Credit Question:
What invention do you wish some bright youngster would come up with? hmmm.... if only I had an answer

Word of the Day:
Dystopia \dĭs-tō-pē-ə\ noun;

Today Is:
Customer Service Day
Do it right always

Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 AM

867 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Today’s Question(s):
deep dish pizza

not that I know of unfortunately
Bonus Question:
The next time I go to a fast food place they had better not try charging me for the wrong order again!

Extra Credit Question:
a do it yourself car repair kit one for each make and model

Today in History:
– Benjamin Franklin, inventor, statesman and kite-flyer, was born in Boston cool
1871 – The first cable car was patented by Andrew S. Hallidie in sf?
1926 – George Burns and Gracie Allen marry never heard of either
1929 – Popeye the Sailor Man makes his first appearance in the comic strip “Thimble Theater” can't go wrong with popeye
1931 – Actor James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader, was born in Mississippi Luuuke I am your fatha
I gotta get some beatles albums
Word of the Day:
Dystopia
\dĭs-tō-pē-ə\ noun;

Today Is:
National Hot Buttered Rum Day sounds nasty
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day if only it wasn't endangered
Customer Service Day this should be every day
Kid Inventor’s Day hopefully somebody will invent something
Liberation Day (Poland)
kewl I'm sure their dancing the *** over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics