Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,348,729 times

Advertisements

Here you must wear a helmet until you turn 18. Then, you don't have to wear one! How silly is that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,230,712 times
Yeah! That makes absolutely no sense! Maybe they ought to put seatbelts on motorcycles too....that would make the same amount of sense! "smirk"

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,073,710 times
Texas did, then didn't, not sure about now. Right to die I guess. It's right up there with the bicycles on the busy roads. Just not safe. I lost a boyfriend in the 80's becasue he wasn't wearing a helmet and have a friend that has a husband that should have died in an accident. Not much of him left theses days.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,244,657 times
Hmmmm.....the insurance lobby is slipping up in a few states. (or maybe the motorcycle clubs lobbies have won on this one.)

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,874,379 times
We have to buckle up. We have to use special seats for the kids. But it is OK to kill the kids with a car load of adults smoking with the windows up while the baby gasps for air. Go figure. I get really peeved quick...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,765,878 times
In Massachusetts it is a requirement but in Rhode Island it isn't...you drive by and see the helmets hanging on the bike how stupid. We call them organ donors.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM

16,732 posts, read 17,507,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
In Massachusetts it is a requirement but in Rhode Island it isn't...you drive by and see the helmets hanging on the bike how stupid. We call them organ donors.
I've heard a NY surgeon say that one wet day.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,753,573 times
I hear y'all and agree! Seatbelt laws for cars, none for motorcycles. Helmets required for bikes but not motorcycles. Yep.....sensible...NOT! LOL Also, as Nomadicus said, you must have special seats and seatbelts for kids, but folks are driving around with kids in the car, windows rolled up and smoking. Not real sensible there. As far as I'm concerned, kids should be seatbelted, if you're over the age of 18, it should be your business.

Of course, I'm just as fond as the rules that say you must get building permits for so many things in your own home. It's none of their business what you do. If you want to add a second bathroom, they expect you to get a permit, then have inspectors come in and "okay" everything you do. That's just ridiculous! If you want to put a new roof on your home, you own it, you shouldn't have to get a permit to do it. The only reason they should have a say is if they're planning on donating materials or labor for the job! It's bad enough that you have to pay property taxes on a home that you worked your butt off to own! It's not as if it's some sort of insurance policy..you know, you're paying into a fund and they'll come and do something for free, for those taxes. Is it any wonder the guy in Texas crashed his plane into a federal building yesterday after setting fire to his home? He shouldn't have endangered others' lives, but I get his point.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,397,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
In all states you are required to wear a seat belt but in some of these states you do not have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.
This has been my soapbox for YEARS!! You have more protection around you in a car than a cyclist has. Yet, the law states..."it's their choice to wear a helmet or not"...then it should be my choice to wear a seat belt or not!!

Granted, I always wear a seat belt. I would love to take these cyclists who choose not to wear helmets on a little tour through a trauma unit so they can see what the result of not wearing a helmet can be.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,606,385 times
If it is the law, then I say adhere to it. However, I am one of those disgruntled, independent, and obstinate persons who get so tired of 'laws' for just about everything. And didn't most of these type of 'laws' come into effect at the urging and promotion from insurance lobbyists???

Sorry, just had to get that out there I trust common sense, but yes, I do realize that there are those with '0' in that department and cause all of this for the rest of us. I'm all for saving lives, eliminating debilitating injuries and illnesses.

Again, forgive me for my unconventional thinking. I will agree to most 'laws' but nowhere does it say that I have to like any of them. Motorcyclists.....please, wear your helmets. That bump or bruise could lead to something more serious in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics