Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Or in the middle of the night when your bwains are fwied.
You waskley wabbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,375,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Because you will earn a mod smack to the knuckles with a cyber ruler! Red is reserved for use by Mods.

ouch!

I have also learned to moderate myself... well, almost.
WOW--never knew that!!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I like this Huckleberry! I still have a lot to learn, but I am learning a lot, with a little help from some friends.
I like all of Huck's posts. He posts things in a very humorous, yet meaningful way. There's a lot of wisdom in his words.

I'm blind and joined CD because I'm planning to relocate.

I've made some friends here, and it's nice because I don't get out much these days.

People posting in red doesn't bother me, I can't see it anyway.

From CD I've learned about "stormfronters", what it means to be "banned", what an "infraction" is (no, I haven't had one yet and hope not to).

I have been called a few names by some ignorant people who thought making fun of being blind was funny. Luckily enough, the MODs here didn't think it was funny and the posts were removed, and the offender was given infractions.

I'm kind of new here still, and still have lots more things to discover yet. However, I really like being able to interact with people about every topic imaginable. I think it's great.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:44 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
I've learned that City-Data is nothing more than the entire world on the other side of my monitor - and it's available to me at any time with the click of my mouse and use of my fingertips.

There is tremendous power in the way we use words. We lack so many of the clarifying devices, like the tone of voice, the facial expression and the non-verbal cue. Therefore, the words we choose must be the right ones because here at City-Data, we have the power to inform or mislead, to provide comfort or start trouble, and to promote true friendship or fuel a feud.

At times of trouble there are those who will step forward and say just the right things at the right times to give you the support and guidance you need to carry on. And just like in the real world, while so many will be there and show true friendship and compassion, a few will turn their heads and walk away. There is no doubt in my mind that during a difficult year of various cancer treatments, my ability to share the experience with my friends at City-Data was a major factor in my ability to handle all that I experienced. There is incredible goodness here in so many members.

But there is also evil. There are those who proclaim themselves expert in certain areas of knowledge - and they might in fact be experts. But dare to show a little knowledge of your own and some will attempt to put you down and make you look foolish because you couldn't possibly know as much as they do. These are the ones that can make City-Data look bad. Exposing this evil is a challenge because sometimes, their actions are so covert that others cannot see their real agenda. And again, just like in the real world, one must always strive to rise above those who try to keep you down.

We are very fortunate that there is so much good here at City-Data that the little bit of evil cannot detract from the positive force that City-Data for those who truly appreciate the knowledge, support and friendship found here. I am extremely grateful for all that I have received from so many positive members and hope that I conduct myself in a way that always pays it forward for the benefit of others.

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 05-30-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,915 times
Charley - You truely are a special wonderful person. I always look forward to reading your posts. True words of wisdom my friend. Thank you for being here. We are the ones that benefit from your presence.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
That people are really strange but I've been turned on to some great tunes

Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,844 times
i've learned that i can't be friends with every one....
i'm addicted to posting.....
i enjoy the conversation aspect.....
i like the anonymity....
i like to congratulate fellow C-D'ers...
i know what it means to troll......
i know what infractions are.....
i can ask a question and always get more than one answer....
etc...etc...etc...
i also enjoy it..more than i ever thought.....

happy memorial day......

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Something I've learned is that you never know what a member may have gone through in their life that molded their perspective and outlook on life. There are people who have suffered incredible losses, tragedies, long illnesses, and witnessed some horrific things in life, and as a result their perspective and opinions may be on the complete opposite end of the "give-o-damn" meter from someone else. I try to remind myself that the person I'm disagreeing with or perhaps seems particularly salty, may indeed be one of these people who has seen some hard miles in life and thus developed a much different outlook or method of expressing themselves. Sometimes I'll learn something I didn't know before about a member and it will all seem to make sense and I'll have a respect and understanding of that person that I didn't have prior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics