Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM

543 posts, read 591,407 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

What regional accent would folks say you have ?

What kind of accent do you have ?

Bonus Question:

What old TV show(s) do you wish they would release on DVD ? The last season of "Emergency", mainly because a former WSF ferry (which recently went to the "ferry terminal in the sky" (i.e. scrapped)) appears in one episode.

Extra Credit Question:

Would you rather go for a ride in a:

Blimp

Just for Fun:

How do you prefer to find your eggs prepared ? scrambled

If someone was to say to you "give me some sugar" what would you do ? try to get some of said item

lol have you ever tried to scratch your back using the door jam ? as weird as I am, that's one thing I've enver tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,292,995 times
Today's Question(s):

What regional accent would folks say you have ? Most folks nowadays say southern, but before I actually lived in the south people automatically knew I was from the east coast. Once, when we lived in Ohio some new friends said we must be from Pittsburgh. Blew us away, must of been that 'Pittsburghese'...

What kind of accent do you have ? I can't hear it, most other people are the ones that do, but occasionally, just occasionally I can hear my twang, but it's not an all out southern drawl. Those are nice.

Bonus Question:

What old TV show(s) do you wish they would release on DVD ? The Wonder Years

Extra Credit Question:

Hot Air Balloon ?
Glider ? This one but knowing me, I'd chicken out at the last minute and hop in the balloon.
Blimp ?

Just for Fun:

How do you prefer to find your eggs prepared ? Over medium, little bit of dippy and no snot.

If someone was to say to you "give me some sugar" what would you do ? If it was the bf, I'd kiss him, if it were the neighbor, well, I'd kiss him too (j/k)

lol have you ever tried to scratch your back using the door jam ? No

Give this a try:

Use the "Word of the Day" in a sentence ? I espy that sunken treasure, now, if I can only get to it.

Lola is one of my all-time favorite songs.
11 years~I'm a survivor!

Last edited by sabbytabby; 06-03-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,728,560 times
Today's Question(s):

Typical North Eastern accent.

The typical North Eastern accent, especially found in suburbia.

Bonus Question:

What old TV show(s) do you wish they would release on DVD ?
Did they ever release Happy Days on DVD?

Extra Credit Question:

Hot Air Balloon ?
Glider ?
Blimp ?
None of the above.

Just for Fun:

How do you prefer to find your eggs prepared ?
Cracked in a pan and cooked until hard, yolks broken.

If someone was to say to you "give me some sugar" what would you do ?
Ask how much and start measuring.
Actually, I'd probably say "you didn't say please".

lol have you ever tried to scratch your back using the door jam ?
Probably.

Give this a try:

Use the "Word of the Day" in a sentence ?
I shall try.

Today is:
National Egg Day
National Cancer Survivors Day

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM

604 posts, read 457,575 times
Today's Question(s):

What regional accent would folks say you have ? Ayuh, I'm from Maine

What kind of accent do you have ? I can turn it on and off

Bonus Question:

Hmmmmm, I thought everything was on DVD now

Extra Credit Question:

Hot Air Balloon ? Yes please
Glider ?
Blimp ?

Just for Fun:

How do you prefer to find your eggs prepared ? Scrambled

If someone was to say to you "give me some sugar" what would you do ? I'd give 'em some sugar!

lol have you ever tried to scratch your back using the door jam ? I'm sure I have

Give this a try:

Use the "Word of the Day" in a sentence ? I espy someone driving into my dooryard.

Today in History:
1851 - 1st baseball uniforms worn, New York Knickerbockers wear straw hat, white shirt and blue long trousers
1939 - Beer Barrel Polka hits #1 on the pop singles char
1946 - 1st bikini bathing suit displayed, Paris
1959 - 1st class graduates from Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo
1967 - Aretha Franklin's "Respect" reaches #1
1970 - Ray Davies of Kinks travels round trip NY-London to change 1 word in the song "Lola," (Coca-Cola to Cherry Cola) because of BBC commercial reference ban.- la la la la Lola

Word of the day:
espy \ih-SPY\ , transitive verb:
To catch sight of; to perceive with the eyes; to discover, as a distant object partly concealed, or not obvious to notice; to see at a glance; to discern unexpectedly; to spy; as, to espy land; to espy a man in a crowd.

Today is:
National Egg Day
National Cancer Survivors Day Yay Sabrina, I love you!
Repeat Day
Tattoo Day
National Itch Day
Repeat Day
R.E.S.P.E.C.T Day[/quote]

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,482,341 times
Southern, most definitely. Surprisingly, many can place me in the Carolinas.

Years ago, I got a glimpse of how I might define 'heaven.'
I'll be aboard the 5:05 leaving NYC for the suburbs. My best friend and I had taken the train from Waterford, CT, into NYC for the day, and had no idea when we caught the 5:05 out of the city, that it would be crammed to the glass and the aisles with men. Beautiful men who worked in the city, in their suits, loosening their ties, trying to wind-down and relax with a drink -- some from the bar.

When I turned to my friend to chat about our day's activities, a few of the men turned to us, and started listening -- not so much to what I was saying as how I was saying it. Embarrassed, I clammed-up.

"Aww, c'mon," one of them prodded me, "say something."

"Something." Then, I followed with, "What do you want me to talk about?" I was, and wasn't, enjoying the attention.

For about the 1 millionth time that day, it seemed, I was asked, yet again, "Are you from Mississippi?" I turned to the fellow who had asked me, and came back with, following a demure smile, and chuckle behind my hand, "What is it with you Yankees? In history, did you learn this," and I gesture with my hands, "above the Mason-Dixon Line is the North, and everything below it, is Mississippi?" Fortunately, they laughed. My friend tells me it was because I was pretty. "Ever hear of Alabama? Louisiana? North Carolina? South Carolina?" Then I shared I was from coastal North Carolina, but that even across the two Carolinas, they'd encounter all sorts of Southern accents.
My husband's accent seems more challenging for people, and ironically he was born and raised, and spent most of his life along the NC coast. They seem to think he has no accent, like some Mid-westerners. Is that good or bad?
Of the friends I have made online, and with whom I have shared phone numbers, some seem most surprised to hear my voice. "Oh, my!," I've been told, "You REALLY do have a Southern accent." I don't hear it myself, but I do know when we used to tape record ourselves as kids, I never liked the twang I'd hear sometimes. Even more fun for them, are some of our Southern expressions that I have found myself having to translate: ill as a snake seems to get 'em every time.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,374,357 times
People are always asking my where I am from cause they can't quite place my accent. I think its a little bit southern mixed with a heaping English puppy and just a pinch of backwoods hillbilly. No old shows that I want of DVD. I would be reluctant to do any riding in a glider, maybe on the hot air and the blimp. I like my eggs fried over hard and if I am asked for some sugar by the right man I'm on give him the best kissing of his life. Schools out for the summer so I am going to skip the sentence. aLLyaLL have a might good day

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM

27,471 posts, read 27,495,860 times
Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question:

Extra Credit Question:

Hot Air Balloon ?
Glider ?
Blimp ?

Just for Fun:

Give this a try:

Ive been told mine is a slight east coast, everyone thinks its Jersey or something. Must have picked it up in DE? It sounded stange in OK, TN and WI but I blended right in, in Chicago, lol.
I prefer my eggs scrambled unless I cook them myself.
If someone tells me 'give me sugar' I have a pocket full of M&Ms, Hershey kisses, Skittles, or some type of candy to share.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM

401 posts, read 481,089 times
Today's Question(s):

What regional accent would folks say you have ? I don't know that Marylanders have an accent. At least, I haven't been able to discern it.

What kind of accent do you have ? Mine is a mutt accent as I use phrases from a number of places I've been to.

Bonus Question:

What old TV show(s) do you wish they would release on DVD ? TV? We don't watch no stinkin TV (shades of Monty Python).

Extra Credit Question:

Hot Air Balloon ? No preference here. I actually signed up for a hot air balloon ride in Egypt but, it got cancelled and, I didn't get to go.
Glider ?
Blimp ?

Just for Fun:

How do you prefer to find your eggs prepared ? In a western omelet

If someone was to say to you "give me some sugar" what would you do ? I'd assume they want a kiss though it's possible they would want some sugar in their tea or coffee. I'd have to judge the situation to see what I thought applied.

lol have you ever tried to scratch your back using the door jam ? Nope. Never thought of that.

Give this a try:

Use the "Word of the Day" in a sentence ? Recently, while I walking in my apartment parking lot, I espied a bunch of pennies someone had dropped on the ground.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,258,464 times
Howdy it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood with lots of sunshine. Hope to get the rest of the weed eating done this evening.

Supposedly Hoosiers don't have any until they go out of state then folks say we do

More on the lines of Kentucky I reckon

Petticoat Junction they only have the first 3 episodes with only 1 of the girls that did the show most of the time. It's cool to see commercials for laundry soap at the end of the episodes though from back then. Back when products "sponsored" a show so then the shows used those products in their shows.

Hot Air Balloon ?
Glider ?
Blimp ?
Gee I reckon if I have to pick............ is that a hang glider? If so I'll pick it be like the birds minus the poop bombs they let go of.

Over easy, hard boiled, poached, scrambled, deviled, fried hard can ya tell I like eggs?

Kiss them when I was younger now I would pass them the sugar.

Probably

Why can't my kids espy their stuff all over the house & pick it up?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,202,783 times
I am really enjoying the answers to "use word of the day" in a sentence posts
I have a feeling we may be seeing it more often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics