Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times

Advertisements

Rest In Peace, Corporal Cirillo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Point number 1: Disagree. As a member of the Armed Forces, he made the ultimate sacrifice by losing his life. I am sure that if he could he would say that he regretted that he had but one life to lay down for Canada. That he did not consciously choose to do this does not diminish his great contribution. BTW, a firefighter being killed on the job is equally deserving of great respect and honor.

Point number 2. Vickers is a hero, period. He drew on his previous RCMP training to take out the shooter. He was an older gentleman whose current job was ceremonial! Not his job to shoot anyone. Any country always could use a few more heroes.

When people are just doing their job (or more), and the job entails risk or loss of life, they deserve great credit.

Let these people (and their families) have their moment. It is demeaning to diminish their contributions.
i am sure both the corporal and his family would prefer the had take a sick leave and didn't die.
You want to choose to be making heros out of nothing, fine. I use logic and common sense. He didn't fight for anything. Nor did he "contribute" anything, like what? His life? What was not out of volition.

I am sorry. There is no patriotism involved here. The media is just making headlines and the people play along as if it were something glorious moment for canada. It's a tragedy and I am sorry an innocent man died, but there is nothing grander than that. It is no more than an innocent citizen got killed during a street fight. The solider really didn't do anything than standing there at the wrong time and his death didn't achieve anything either.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
i am sure both the corporal and his family would prefer the had take a sick leave and didn't die.
You want to choose to be making heros out of nothing, fine. I use logic and common sense. He didn't fight for anything. Nor did he "contribute" anything, like what? His life? What was not out of volition.

I am sorry. There is no patriotism involved here. The media is just making headlines and the people play along as if it were something glorious moment for canada. It's a tragedy and I am sorry an innocent man died, but there is nothing grander than that. It is no more than an innocent citizen got killed during a street fight. The solider really didn't do anything than standing there at the wrong time and his death didn't achieve anything either.
Nonsense. Neither the story nor the message conform to your narrative and that's why you're carrying on like this. Anyway, please do continue if you must.

Last edited by maclock; 10-26-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 12:13 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,997 times
I don't think that the media has to play up anything about this story and nobody's "play[ing] along". Cpl. Cirillo was performing a ceremonial duty at one of Canada's most sacred monuments when he was shot in the back. The media need do nothing other than report the facts in order for those of us who have a normal perspective on reality to understand how tragic and symbolic this is. So no, it's much more than if "an innocent citizen got killed during a street fight". If it's true that you work for the government, I find that particularly sad - good men die young for your freedom, and these men who serve and then leave the military have difficulty finding employment - yet someone of your ilk can live a safe and comfortable life on their backs.

As for Mr. Vickers not being a hero - the story that the CBC [a left-wing mouthpiece] is reporting is true, he positioned himself within an arm's length of the shooter behind the same column, and then dove out into the open in order to end the threat. So he did apparently risk his own life, and as a result may have prevented a much tragic course of events. I'm sure Mr. Vickers is uncomfortable with the label "hero" and despite the shooter being cowardly murderer is not unburdened by the fact that he had to take his life, but it's hard to see how his actions weren't heroic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I don't think that the media has to play up anything about this story and nobody's "play[ing] along". Cpl. Cirillo was performing a ceremonial duty at one of Canada's most sacred monuments when he was shot in the back. The media need do nothing other than report the facts in order for those of us who have a normal perspective on reality to understand how tragic and symbolic this is. So no, it's much more than if "an innocent citizen got killed during a street fight". If it's true that you work for the government, I find that particularly sad - good men die young for your freedom, and these men who serve and then leave the military have difficulty finding employment - yet someone of your ilk can live a safe and comfortable life on their backs.

As for Mr. Vickers not being a hero - the story that the CBC [a left-wing mouthpiece] is reporting is true, he positioned himself within an arm's length of the shooter behind the same column, and then dove out into the open in order to end the threat. So he did apparently risk his own life, and as a result may have prevented a much tragic course of events. I'm sure Mr. Vickers is uncomfortable with the label "hero" and despite the shooter being cowardly murderer is not unburdened by the fact that he had to take his life, but it's hard to see how his actions weren't heroic.
I wish to applaud you for your very well expressed sentiments as well as your laudable and remarkable restraint. Well done indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau