Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,461,887 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to artist Bruce McKinnion, for his amazingly and heart breaking illustration.

The figures of the WW1 soldiers on the National War Monument are reaching down to help Corporal Nathan Cirillo, as he lays dying on the edge of the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier. You can only see his legs, but the Argyle tartan of his hose tops is immediately recognizable.

link . Bruce MacKinnon's Ottawa shooting cartoon a poignant image of the day - Nova Scotia - CBC News

The power of this art will be timeless.

Rest In Peace, Corporal Cirillo.

Jim B. IN Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,492,592 times
This year's Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa will be especially poignant.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Thanks for posting that, Jim.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,752,351 times
People will hate me for saying this, but neither Cirillo nor Vickers are heros.

The former just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It could have been any of the soldiers or guards. It is very unfortunate he lost his life, but he did nothing glorious to deserve all the honouring. His death is not exactly more noble than a firefighter killed on the job. I don't know why being killed by a terrorist is more noble than being killed on other jobs?

As to Vickers, isn't what he did simply part of his job description, the kind of thing he is supposed to do to make the salary he makes? I can say he did a good job, but to claim he is some sort of national hero, I don't agree. What was he supposed to do at that time, run away or hiding behind the poles? He would be a bad public servant if he had done that. You could argue he was risking his life taking the shooter down, but again, didn't he walk into this job knowing this is part of the risk, and you get paid for taking that risk?

I know people want to feel all patriotic and emotional, but this is overblown.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

The former just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It could have been any of the soldiers or guards. It is very unfortunate he lost his life, but he did nothing glorious to deserve all the honouring. His death is not exactly more noble than a firefighter killed on the job. I don't know why being killed by a terrorist is more noble than being killed on other jobs?

As to Vickers, isn't what he did simply part of his job description, the kind of thing he is supposed to do to make the salary he makes? I can say he did a good job, but to claim he is some sort of national hero, I don't agree. What was he supposed to do at that time, run away or hiding behind the poles? He would be a bad public servant if he had done that. You could argue he was risking his life taking the shooter down, but again, didn't he walk into this job knowing this is part of the risk, and you get paid for taking that risk?

You're on a roll Botti, hav'n fun?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 899,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Point number 1: Disagree. As a member of the Armed Forces, he made the ultimate sacrifice by losing his life. I am sure that if he could he would say that he regretted that he had but one life to lay down for Canada. That he did not consciously choose to do this does not diminish his great contribution. BTW, a firefighter being killed on the job is equally deserving of great respect and honor.

Point number 2. Vickers is a hero, period. He drew on his previous RCMP training to take out the shooter. He was an older gentleman whose current job was ceremonial! Not his job to shoot anyone. Any country always could use a few more heroes.

When people are just doing their job (or more), and the job entails risk or loss of life, they deserve great credit.

Let these people (and their families) have their moment. It is demeaning to diminish their contributions.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:34 PM

Botticelli.

Why don't you just shut up and **** off.

If I could I'd **** down your throat and then rip your head off.

Go back under your comfortable rock.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 AM

757 posts, read 1,026,776 times
I feel sad that this supposedly thread of tribute has turned into something unpleasant.

Botticelli,

Any soldiers who died in the hands of those are practicing extreme ideology and violence, the precise group of terrorists that we're at war with currently, even if they are not on the front line are hero to me and all patriotic Canadians, at home and worldwide.

Perhaps you should reconsider your bold statement and apologize.

Last edited by R. Crusoe; 10-25-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 AM

No, he won't. He is happy to be employed by the Canadian Government, while complaining all day long about Canada. Check his posting history, and see if you can fine ONE example of where he actually said something NICE about our country.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 AM

320 posts, read 481,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Congratulations to artist Bruce McKinnion, for his amazingly and heart breaking illustration.

The figures of the WW1 soldiers on the National War Monument are reaching down to help Corporal Nathan Cirillo, as he lays dying on the edge of the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier. You can only see his legs, but the Argyle tartan of his hose tops is immediately recognizable.

link . Bruce MacKinnon's Ottawa shooting cartoon a poignant image of the day - Nova Scotia - CBC News

The power of this art will be timeless.

Rest In Peace, Corporal Cirillo.

Jim B. IN Toronto.
You're right. The image gets the sentiment just right. Wow. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau