Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

I find it both interesting and upsetting that modern people do not know that goddess religions and matriarchy predated god religions and patriarchy.

The politics of religion seem to escape most people. Christians do not acknowledge The Crusades or the Inquisition . . . it is not commonly known that in Europe "witches" were actually just women who had learned about herbal remedies and mid-wifery from their female bloodlines . . .and that "The Church" (meaning the Catholic church) thought these women were gaining too much power and thus invented the idea of heresy . . . (sorry for the poor synopsis but it is just meant to give a general idea of the problem I am attempting to discuss).

The ancient goddess religions were very prevalent, yet people remain ignorant of the names of the goddesses and the cultures they were affiliated with.

The nature based religions are also not well known, including Native American religious ideas as well as ideas of many other cultures (Asian, Polynesian, etc.)

For all of the teachers out there: I think it is a shame that the curriculum taught in schools is purely Western based.

In graduate school, when I was learning the history of psychology, it "began" with Greek philosophers, which just made me crazy. This was the "official" teaching . . . no mention of ancient history or of Asian ideas, what-so-ever.

To all of the people who are reading this thread: Do you realize there is a big world outside of the limited knowledge you have been given by your schools and churches?

I get so upset when I think that most people are just satisfied with the extremely limited world views they have . . .If I were queen (or goddess), everyone would have to study world history and world religions . . .

Are you aware of goddesses?

Do you think it is bizarre that in the Judeo-Christian world view, everything is so male oriented? God the Father . . . and in Christianity, God, his Son and the Holy Ghost . . . only in Catholicism, they could not kill Mary off the way they wanted to . . .Mary is the only presence that has kept the religion viable, in my mind.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I find it both interesting and upsetting that modern people do not know that goddess religions and matriarchy predated god religions and patriarchy.

The politics of religion seem to escape most people. Christians do not acknowledge The Crusades or the Inquisition . . . it is not commonly known that in Europe "witches" were actually just women who had learned about herbal remedies and mid-wifery from their female bloodlines . . .and that "The Church" (meaning the Catholic church) thought these women were gaining too much power and thus invented the idea of heresy . . . (sorry for the poor synopsis but it is just meant to give a general idea of the problem I am attempting to discuss).

The ancient goddess religions were very prevalent, yet people remain ignorant of the names of the goddesses and the cultures they were affiliated with.

The nature based religions are also not well known, including Native American religious ideas as well as ideas of many other cultures (Asian, Polynesian, etc.)

For all of the teachers out there: I think it is a shame that the curriculum taught in schools is purely Western based.

In graduate school, when I was learning the history of psychology, it "began" with Greek philosophers, which just made me crazy. This was the "official" teaching . . . no mention of ancient history or of Asian ideas, what-so-ever.

To all of the people who are reading this thread: Do you realize there is a big world outside of the limited knowledge you have been given by your schools and churches?

I get so upset when I think that most people are just satisfied with the extremely limited world views they have . . .If I were queen (or goddess), everyone would have to study world history and world religions . . .

Do you think it is bizarre that in the Judeo-Christian world view, everything is so male oriented? God the Father . . . and in Christianity, God, his Son and the Holy Ghost . . . only in Catholicism, they could not kill Mary off the way they wanted to . . .Mary is the only presence that has kept the religion viable, in my mind.
You might find these books interesting:

Sex, Time and Power | by Leonard Shlain

Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You might find these books interesting:

Sex, Time and Power | by Leonard Shlain
And another one. The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory.

Amazon.com: The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why An Invented Past Will Not Give Women a Future (9780807067925): Cynthia Eller: Books

Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Hmm. I knew all of these things. Are you so sure everyone is as ignorant as you claim?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. I knew all of these things. Are you so sure everyone is as ignorant as you claim?
I think most of us knew these things...........it only seems like new knowledge if you are coming from a fundy background (fundy in this instance is anyone who is caught up in a religious tradition that excludes freedom of thought such is Islam, Christianity, etc) and have finally started thinking for yourself.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I think most of us knew these things...........it only seems like new knowledge if you are coming from a fundy background (fundy in this instance is anyone who is caught up in a religious tradition that excludes freedom of thought such is Islam, Christianity, etc) and have finally started thinking for yourself.
Not all Christian denominations require stupidity. Not sure about Islamic ones.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not all Christian denominations require stupidity.........

no, but it helps..............

Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
The masculine/feminine (Yin/Yang, dark/light, low/high, cold/hot/ good/evil, etc.) are manifestations of the natural duality that yields oneness in reality. The concept is central to the purpose of existence. Imagine a race with only men or only women . . . it would disappear in a single generation. (nitpicks over inconsequential and trivial parthenogenesis would be an irrelevant distraction to the analogy). Yet, men and women together create new generations that allow the race they create together (and were created from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things. Given this template . . . much as they might be entertaining (or in some venues tragic) . . . the gender wars are pointless spiritually.

Our physical bodies and brains (regardless of gender) . . . are the "Mothers" of our Spirits . . . they "give birth to" them . . . (rebirth as Spirit). God is the "Father" . . . we are to be "born of God" (gennaō = begotten) and our brain is the "Womb" where it must grow and strengthen to achieve maturity and eternal life.

1 John 3:9 (King James Version)

9Whosoever is born (gennaō) of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born (gennaō) of God.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born (gennaō) of God, and knoweth God.

Our goal is to achieve enough spiritual development in the amniotic fluid (water of life) in the womb of our brain to qualify for the next life in much the same way that a human embryo achieves enough physical development in the amniotic fluid in the womb of its mother to survive in this mortal life. Consider the following intriguingly similar descriptions carefully.

In a mother's womb the embryo human being floats in a serous fluid. This fluid is enclosed in a double membrane termed the Chorion. The blood vessels that supply the womb are contained in the Allantois. All of this is contained in the lining of the Uterus. This uterine tissue is called the Decidua. The entire combination of membranous tissues is called the Placenta and it is completely discarded at birth. When our body is born, our Placenta is merely the after-birth. Miscarriages are the result of insufficient or arrested development. This is the birth of Flesh.

In the womb of our brain our embryo soul floats in a serous fluid. This fluid is enclosed in a double membrane termed the Arachnoid. The blood vessels that supply the brain are contained in the Pia Mater. All of this is contained in the lining of the Cranium. This cranial tissue is called the Dura Mater. The entire combination of membranous tissues is called the Meninges and it is completely discarded at birth. When our soul is born, our dead body is merely the after-birth. Miscarriages are the result of insufficient or arrested development. This is the birth of Spirit.

A physical embryo must follow a pattern of physical development or it will be born deformed or miscarry. Similarly, our spiritual embryo must develop along a specific spiritual pattern. Our charge is to find that pattern (agape love) and follow it to maturation.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-01-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The masculine/feminine (Yin/Yang, dark/light, low/high, cold/hot/ good/evil, etc.) are manifestations of the natural duality that yields oneness in reality. The concept is central to the purpose of existence. Imagine a race with only men or only women . . . it would disappear in a single generation. (nitpicks over inconsequential and trivial parthenogenesis would be an irrelevant distraction to the analogy). Yet, men and women together create new generations that allow the race they create together (and were created from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things. Given this template . . . much as they might be entertaining (or in some venues tragic) . . . the gender wars are pointless spiritually.

Our physical bodies and brains (regardless of gender) . . . are the "Mothers" of our Spirits . . . they "give birth to" them . . . (rebirth as Spirit). God is the "Father" . . . we are to be "born of God" (gennaō = begotten) and our brain is the "Womb" where it must grow and strengthen to achieve maturity and eternal life.

1 John 3:9 (King James Version)

9Whosoever is born (gennaō) of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born (gennaō) of God.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born (gennaō) of God, and knoweth God.

Our goal is to achieve enough spiritual development in the amniotic fluid (water of life) in the womb of our brain to qualify for the next life in much the same way that a human embryo achieves enough physical development in the amniotic fluid in the womb of its mother to survive in this mortal life. Consider the following intriguingly similar descriptions carefully.

In a mother's womb the embryo human being floats in a serous fluid. This fluid is enclosed in a double membrane termed the Chorion. The blood vessels that supply the womb are contained in the Allantois. All of this is contained in the lining of the Uterus. This uterine tissue is called the Decidua. The entire combination of membranous tissues is called the Placenta and it is completely discarded at birth. When our body is born, our Placenta is merely the after-birth. Miscarriages are the result of insufficient or arrested development. This is the birth of Flesh.

In the womb of our brain our embryo soul floats in a serous fluid. This fluid is enclosed in a double membrane termed the Arachnoid. The blood vessels that supply the brain are contained in the Pia Mater. All of this is contained in the lining of the Cranium. This cranial tissue is called the Dura Mater. The entire combination of membranous tissues is called the Meninges and it is completely discarded at birth. When our soul is born, our dead body is merely the after-birth. Miscarriages are the result of insufficient or arrested development. This is the birth of Spirit.

A physical embryo must follow a pattern of physical development or it will be born deformed or miscarry. Similarly, our spiritual embryo must develop along a specific spiritual pattern. Our charge is to find that pattern (agape love) and follow it to maturation.
thank you so much for this rich contribution.
agape love is the truth.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
GODDESS WORSHIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism