Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times

Advertisements

I have been dating this womAn for 7 months now & things are getting serious well they have been. We've talked about marriage & such & would like to get married on Sahmain. However I would like to propose to her on another Pagan holiday. I was thinking Feb 2 if I remember that is
Brighid's day or Brides Day. Imbolc if you will. I can't think of another pagan holiday right off the bat, Any idea's?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,387,649 times
How about Beltane (May 1) or the spring solstice?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM

I had thought of that but it's that like asking on Valentine's Day? I want to throw a huge feast when I ask & I thought of the feast of St Bridget. I wanted something that wasn't the normal pagan holiday but that's still an idea thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Keep in mind that Feb 2 is also Groundhog's day.
You don't have many options between now and Samhain.
Feb 2, March 21, May 1, - any after that may not give time for planning and such in time for Samhain.
Beltain is the more fitting holiday for a proposal. It is the sacred union between Red Man and Green Maid. Where Imbolic translates to 'in the belly' and this is a holiday of fertility and pregnancy....followed by the fertility and birth holiday Eostara.
Litha would be fitting as well, but not as much as Beltain.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Keep in mind that Feb 2 is also Groundhog's day.
You don't have many options between now and Samhain.
Feb 2, March 21, May 1, - any after that may not give time for planning and such in time for Samhain.
Beltain is the more fitting holiday for a proposal. It is the sacred union between Red Man and Green Maid. Where Imbolic translates to 'in the belly' and this is a holiday of fertility and pregnancy....followed by the fertility and birth holiday Eostara.
Litha would be fitting as well, but not as much as Beltain.

We talked about eloping or having a very small wedding seeing that her family & mine are Christian. We just wanted our Pagan friends there & to have a handfasting. we did talk about having a mid-summers eve party but as you said it might be too late to have a wedding in October. More to think about lol

Thank you as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,399,220 times
As OwlkaMyst mentioned there is the Vernal equanox Ostara(?) on Mar. 21. I am not sure where you are planing to do it, but if it is in the south or any place that anything like North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia it would probably be more pleasant for an outdoor setting then midsummer.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
As OwlkaMyst mentioned there is the Vernal equanox Ostara(?) on Mar. 21. I am not sure where you are planing to do it, but if it is in the south or any place that anything like North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia it would probably be more pleasant for an outdoor setting then midsummer.

Well by the time this happens I'll be in MS by then. So the weather should be the same as it is in South Ga. I'm ot sure where she wants to get married that will be her choice. As I said i want to make a big deal when I ask her I want her friends & family there. So it will have to take place outside The wedding will to but later down the road

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Any pagan holiday? Suggestions have been made from Celtic, Germanic, and astronomical sources, if you are open minded enough to accept that breadth, there is a wealth of pagan religions around the world to pick holidays from. Unless you are limiting yourself to European paganism. In that case, Imbolc, associated with the beginning of Spring (as evidenced by the fist lactation of the ewes) seems appropriate enough, the beginning of a new, potentially life creating union.

As I understand it, neo-pagans, Wiccans and such celebrate it on the Christian date, the Feast of St. Brigid, but Celtic recons celebrate it on the historical date, that is the day when the ewes start lactating. In the absence of a local sheep farm to observe, I think some recons look for another sign of Spring, so you can really wait for an appropriate seasonal 'sign'.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Any pagan holiday? Suggestions have been made from Celtic, Germanic, and astronomical sources.....and I think some recons look for another sign of Spring, so you can really wait for an appropriate seasonal 'sign'.
I stuck with the European pagan holidays because it was the direction originally presented.
However, in the back of my mind, I was thinking more along organic lines and less traditional.
For me, since I'm pagan but does not 'observe' any of the holidays, I would go with astrology. I'd look for a day that sits well for those invoved and the type of event.
But since you mentioned other 'seasonal signs' it brought to mind natures indicators that I do look to in my area. My pagan 'wheel of the year' is more about the sun the moon- and the flora and fauna of earth- just like the Ewes. Here it would be the cows.
Forget what a calendar says, I know when 'times' are changing when the daffodils are blooming like crazy. Thry are the first flowers of the year (and show themselves in late winter). And the last flowers of the year are the Naked Ladies.
When it's time to plant, when it's time to harvest- it's time! And is not based on a calendar date.
(Not saying ditch your holiday idea- its just thst ABQ reminded me of my original thinking that I did not express the first time)

So with that, I wonder what 'signs' you, Reed, have in your area?
When do the roses begin to bloom?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Any pagan holiday? Suggestions have been made from Celtic, Germanic, and astronomical sources, if you are open minded enough to accept that breadth, there is a wealth of pagan religions around the world to pick holidays from. Unless you are limiting yourself to European paganism. In that case, Imbolc, associated with the beginning of Spring (as evidenced by the fist lactation of the ewes) seems appropriate enough, the beginning of a new, potentially life creating union.

As I understand it, neo-pagans, Wiccans and such celebrate it on the Christian date, the Feast of St. Brigid, but Celtic recons celebrate it on the historical date, that is the day when the ewes start lactating. In the absence of a local sheep farm to observe, I think some recons look for another sign of Spring, so you can really wait for an appropriate seasonal 'sign'.

Any, Pagan holiday is fine by me to be honest. I thought of Imbolg because of spring being a begining of sorts. I want to get married that follow October on Samhain and as I said above I want a huge feast of sorts when I ask her surrounded by family & friends. Which made me think of the Bridget Day. Like Owl suggested this might be the best & it would give us time to plan the wedding. Of couse I want to do this at night with a nice bonfire. And of course this give me time to pay the engagement ring off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism