Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
My companion is the same way, he never ever talks about religion. But he loves his church and lives it. I know a few who are just the opposite. . They get on fartbook and post memes like they are perfect Christians. I nearly puke just thinking sbout it.

Trout, I take after my Grandparents, they were really hard core hermits too. But then, times were different in the olden days.
One of my great-grandmothers read cards and tea leaves. She was Ukrainian and spoke fractured, but pretty good English.

She would lay out the cards or study the leaves and begin to mutter and glare up at me over her glasses. Finally, she'd wag her finger and say, "You too hendy-dependy!" (independent).

I've always followed my own path and it has overlapped with others at times but not the past couple of years.

But who knows what the next trip to town will bring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

But who knows what the next trip to town will bring?
Rock on, Trout!

My Polish grandmother used to say, "Go out and have a good time! Meet people! They are not going to come knocking on your door."

Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
We had a guy on the NJ forum who started a thread asking where he could find a toad in NJ. It was hilarious. We were all saying just take a walk in the woods...or look in your backyard. Right after that, I was walking at dusk in the park where I go and a toad crossed the path right in front of me. He kindly stopped long enough to let me photograph him, and I posted it for the guy and told him where to find him.

My daughter had pet frogs when she was a kid. Her original career goal was to have a TV show like Steve Irwin's only about amphibians instead of reptiles.

Alas, Ricky Ricardo, the Cuban Tree Frog, ate Jade, the Green Tree Frog, and then Ricky died not long after. I used to have to buy crickets regularly to feed them.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:06 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,294,463 times
My paternal grandfather & great-grandfather were supposed to be kosher Jews but yet, they would go to a Chinese restaurant every Sunday and order sweet & sour pork. I guess if it is Chinese, then it is kosher pork.

If I posted this before, please forgive me.

My great-grandfather (same one) & great-grandmother were both from the Ukraine (Kiev). I don't know if they met BEFORE moving to the U.S. or after. I know my great-grandfather's father knew that the quotas from that part of world was less than in Germany so he moved his family to Germany first before coming to the U.S.

So, my paternal grandmother was Jewish (but not kosher)-but she did write a Jewish cookbook.
My father was an atheist Jew who joined the Society of Friends (Quakers), Try figuring that one out.
My mother was an Episcopalian (Catholic-lite)
My brother claims to be a Jew but he did get married in a Methodist Church (his wife is Methodist).
My oldest sister was a Unitarian
Next sister is an Episcopalian
Next sister is agnostic but I think she leans toward the Episcopal Church.
Next sister is Episcopalian (married a Catholic and brought their son up Catholic)
And me-I'm a Pagan (but I was baptized & confirmed in the Episcopal Church-and I do recognize my Jewish heritage.)

Yeah, religion in my family is very interesting. I could always talk to my dad about religion. In fact, he was one of the first ones that I came out of the broom closet to.

Funny story. The night before we got married, everyone was at our house. My husband's family was in the dinning room and my family was in the living room. My youngest step-daughter came into the living room and said, "I'm coming in here, they are talking politics in there." I looked at her and said, "Well, we are talking religion in here."

Cat

Old 08-18-2016, 03:12 PM

23,203 posts, read 10,489,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

My great-grandfather (same one) & great-grandmother were both from the Ukraine (Kiev). I don't know if they met BEFORE moving to the U.S. or after. I know my great-grandfather's father knew that the quotas from that part of world was less than in Germany so he moved his family to Germany first before coming to the U.S.

So, my paternal grandmother was Jewish (but not kosher)-but she did write a Jewish cookbook.
My father was an atheist Jew who joined the Society of Friends (Quakers), Try figuring that one out.
My mother was an Episcopalian (Catholic-lite)
My brother claims to be a Jew but he did get married in a Methodist Church (his wife is Methodist).
My oldest sister was a Unitarian
Next sister is an Episcopalian
Next sister is agnostic but I think she leans toward the Episcopal Church.
Next sister is Episcopalian (married a Catholic and brought their son up Catholic)
And me-I'm a Pagan (but I was baptized & confirmed in the Episcopal Church-and I do recognize my Jewish heritage.)

Cat

Didn't know you were a queen Cat.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Didn't know you were a queen Cat.

???

Cat

Old 08-18-2016, 06:44 PM

23,203 posts, read 10,489,610 times
Wrote a reply to that and then deleted it.

Cat, if you want to know what I meant, you will have to direct message me.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:54 PM

950 posts, read 694,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
So the other night we watching the movie Kumaré. Has anyone seen this movie? It was quite fascinating. Here is the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUzG6YKuvo

It shows how gullible people can be but also how people can be helped with life.

Check it out.

Cat

No, never seen that movie. But now that you mention films, let me ask you--have you ever seen the movie I've Lived Before? It's about Reincarnation. It's because that you previously mentioned that you,Cat, believe in Reincarnation that I thought that I would bring up that movie. It has a bizarre twist to reincarnation in that the main character, John Bolan, discovers and also verifies that in his previous incarnation that he was a pilot, Peter Stevens. What makes it bizarre is that he also finds his wife from his previous life who presently of course is much older than he. Both of them find their original emotions resurfacing. To even further complicate matters, Bolan already has a fiancée.

This movie intrigues me very much because I want to see how that problem is resolved since Bolan finds himself loving his "wife" again. Problem is that the movie is unavailable on dvd. So if anybody has seen that movie in its entirety, hopefully they can recount the resolution.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
No, never seen that movie. But now that you mention films, let me ask you--have you ever seen the movie I've Lived Before? It's about Reincarnation. It's because that you previously mentioned that you,Cat, believe in Reincarnation that I thought that I would bring up that movie. It has a bizarre twist to reincarnation in that the main character, John Bolan, discovers and also verifies that in his previous incarnation that he was a pilot, Peter Stevens. What makes it bizarre is that he also finds his wife from his previous life who presently of course is much older than he. Both of them find their original emotions resurfacing. To even further complicate matters, Bolan already has a fiancée.

This movie intrigues me very much because I want to see how that problem is resolved since Bolan finds himself loving his "wife" again. Problem is that the movie is unavailable on dvd. So if anybody has seen that movie in its entirety, hopefully they can recount the resolution.

Nope. Never seen that movie. I do remember the Reincarnation of Peter Proud which came out in 1975. I remember when I first saw the movie, they showed flashes on a bridge. I said to myself, "That looks like the bridge in Springfield, Mass. I was right.

Cat

Old 08-21-2016, 04:21 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
No, never seen that movie. But now that you mention films, let me ask you--have you ever seen the movie I've Lived Before? It's about Reincarnation.

Is this the movie you were speaking of? It looks like this one was made in 1956.

I've Lived Before (1956) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism