Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Thank you for giving some context to your comments.
Thank you for making such a nice post prior to mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Knowing the risks of not breastfeeding I would feel selfish denying my children breastmilk. I wouldn't be willing to risk their health for "bonding" with a bottle of formula. Fathers and grandparents had no problem bonding before bottles, formula and breastpumps were invented. When someone saids to me they or their children were formula fed and they were fine I don't find that to be a compelling argument. Anecdotal evidence doesn't hold a candle to science based medicine. There is a time and a place for formula. But it is used way too casually and still doesn't come close to replicating all the ingredients in breastmilk.

I am also not the least bit concerned about other people's hangups when it comes to breastfeeding in public. I'm not going to lock myself up in my home for a year to breastfeed or use a pump when the baby can drink straight from the tap.
See...I don't see "not breastfeeding" as "risking my baby's health"..not at all. As a matter of fact I think that comment is nothing but pure hyperbole perpetuated by the militant breastfeeding community. Clearly, quite a few generations of children grew up perfectly fine without being breastfed. However, I'd be curious to see anything in print that may back up your claims as to infant mortality strictly due to bottle feeding.

On your last paragraph of your post, I'd love to address it, but apparently the post police are in full force and hitting the delete button fairly regularly...so I won't waste my time. Pity really...stifled a good conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
No, not hyperbole from the "militant breastfeeding community". It's from the medical community. And it's a public health issue.

Formula and Infant Deaths - The Baby Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
See...I don't see "not breastfeeding" as "risking my baby's health"..not at all. As a matter of fact I think that comment is nothing but pure hyperbole perpetuated by the militant breastfeeding community. Clearly, quite a few generations of children grew up perfectly fine without being breastfed. However, I'd be curious to see anything in print that may back up your claims as to infant mortality strictly due to bottle feeding.

On your last paragraph of your post, I'd love to address it, but apparently the post police are in full force and hitting the delete button fairly regularly...so I won't waste my time. Pity really...stifled a good conversation.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
See...I don't see "not breastfeeding" as "risking my baby's health"..not at all.
Even as someone who very much believes in breastfeeding and did so myself, I agree with this statement. There are lots of valid reasons why a woman would choose to use formula, and bottle feeders should not be hassled for it anymore than breastfeeders should be hassled for their choice. Children do just fine on formula, and that's a really good thing, because some women simply cannot breastfeed. Thankfully, we have alternatives for them.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Breastfeeding is on the rise, according to all kinds of research. It's pretty indisputable, there is a larger percentage of mothers breastfeeding now than there were 20 years ago.

Allergies in children is also on the rise, according to some of the same sources that have stated the resurgence in breastfeeding. There is a larger percentage of children now, allergic to all kinds of things, from peanuts to wheat to lactose intolerance, than there were 20 years ago.

ADHD is also on the rise, as is Asperger's syndrome, as are children who grow up unprepared to live independently (I don't mean unemployed. I mean not knowing HOW to even get started in becoming independent).

Draw your own conclusions.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Even as someone who very much believes in breastfeeding and did so myself, I agree with this statement. There are lots of valid reasons why a woman would choose to use formula, and bottle feeders should not be hassled for it anymore than breastfeeders should be hassled for their choice. Children do just fine on formula, and that's a really good thing, because some women simply cannot breastfeed. Thankfully, we have alternatives for them.
Like my SIL whose milk never came in and whose baby's cries would continue even after suckling at the breast. She didn't need anyone to come in and rescue her. She gave her baby formula and that was it.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
I mentioned that episode of the office once before but it makes another point. Pam can't get the baby to latch on and the nurse asks if she wants the baby to sleep in the nursery for the night. She is upset the baby won't latch and the nurse says she can give the baby a bottle. Pam says "I read in a book they can get nipple confusion" and the nurse says "Oh well I didn't realize that you read a book. You must know more than me. My bad".

Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
The interesting thing about the study published in Pediatrics is that it did not exclude deaths resulting from traumatic injury (e.g., abuse). Oxytocin production rises with breastfeeding and is associated with reduced anxiety and anger. It's sometimes known as the "cuddle hormone." Along with breastfeeding, sexual arousal is also associated with increased oxytocin secretion.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-01-2010 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
See...I don't see "not breastfeeding" as "risking my baby's health"..not at all. As a matter of fact I think that comment is nothing but pure hyperbole perpetuated by the militant breastfeeding community.
I am glad that formula is available to those who need and want to use it but breastfeeding really is a public health issue. It has nothing to do with so called "militant" breastfeeders.

Breastfeeding Decreases Infant Mortality, May 2, 2004 Press Release - National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Quote:
Data analyzed by scientists at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences suggest that breastfeeding can reduce the risk of death for infants in their first year of life. Looking at infants between 28 days and one year of age, researchers concluded that promoting breastfeeding can potentially prevent up to 720 postneonatal deaths in the U.S. each year.
Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk -- Section on Breastfeeding 115 (2): 496 -- AAP Policy
Quote:
Extensive research using improved epidemiologic methods and modern laboratory techniques documents diverse and compelling advantages for infants, mothers, families, and society from breastfeeding and use of human milk for infant feeding.1 These advantages include health, nutritional, immunologic, developmental, psychologic, social, economic, and environmental benefits.
http://www.paho.org/english/ad/fch/BOB2.pdf
Quote:
In Latin America and the Caribbean, exclusive breastfeeding for the first 3 months of life and partial breastfeeding for the remainder of the first year, can prevent 55% of infant deaths related to diarrheal disease and acute respiratory infection. Among infants aged 0–3 months, 66% of the deaths from both diseases were prevented by exclusive breastfeeding, while 32% of deaths among those aged 4–11 months were prevented by partial breastfeeding. Overall, 13.9% of all-causes infant mortality in Latin
America and the Caribbean (approximately 52,000 deaths a year) could be prevented by exclusive breastfeeding for the first 3 months of life and partial breastfeeding for the remainder of infancy.
Benefits of Breastfeeding << Breastfeeding Home << womenshealth.gov (http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/benefits/ - broken link)
Quote:
Breast milk has disease-fighting cells called antibodies that help protect infants from germs, illness, and even SIDS. Infant formula cannot match the exact chemical makeup of human milk, especially the cells, hormones, and antibodies that fight disease.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...13/fanrr13.pdf
Quote:
A minimum of $3.6 billion would be saved if breastfeeding were increased from current levels (64 percent in-hospital, 29 percent at 6 months) to those recommended by the U.S. Surgeon General (75 and 50 percent).

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I mentioned that episode of the office once before but it makes another point. Pam can't get the baby to latch on and the nurse asks if she wants the baby to sleep in the nursery for the night. She is upset the baby won't latch and the nurse says she can give the baby a bottle. Pam says "I read in a book they can get nipple confusion" and the nurse says "Oh well I didn't realize that you read a book. You must know more than me. My bad".
I am guilty of this too. However, I called my lactation consultant, who thankfully was one of the best in my area and who also wasn't one of the breastfeeding mafias, and she said, don't worry, I can get your baby to latch on as long as your milk comes in and you give her opportunities to latch on. 6 days later of bottles she latched my baby on. Come to think of it, baby latched on a couple of hours before she arrived so it makes me wonder if she didn't latch on at the hospital because of the drugs (c-section).

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Knowing the risks of not breastfeeding I would feel selfish denying my children breastmilk. I wouldn't be willing to risk their health for "bonding" with a bottle of formula. Fathers and grandparents had no problem bonding before bottles, formula and breastpumps were invented. When someone saids to me they or their children were formula fed and they were fine I don't find that to be a compelling argument. Anecdotal evidence doesn't hold a candle to science based medicine. There is a time and a place for formula. But it is used way too casually and still doesn't come close to replicating all the ingredients in breastmilk.
I just have to address this. I can see why the breasfeeders are getting insulted when people are calling breastfeeding "creepy", etc. But it also makes my skin crawl, as a Mom who formula fed, when comments like this are thrown out. (And I see them all the time.) Like we are selfish, are risking our children's life, etc. because we choose formula. I would be willing to bet my odds of winning the lotto 10 times are probably better than my child dying for no other reason than being fed formula. And I have to wonder if any study that suggests babies die from formula aren't skewed and don't accurately account for other factors. Regardless, I have thought my decision through very thoroughly and I don't regret it at all. My son is extremely healthy and has only been to the doctor for his well child visits. (I'm sure someone will be pointing out to me soon that this is only "anecdotal evidence".) I'm sure you will think that some of my reasons for choosing formula are "selfish". But to me, my reasons are valid. And for the record, there is a study out that breasfeeding can actually be linked to autism. Not that breastfeeding itself causes autism, but that mothers who have high levels of PCB's in their system transfer these chemicals directly through breasfeeding, and PCB's have been shown to cause autism like activity in rats. Granted, this study needs to be done in humans and isn't neccessarily something to freak out over, but it does make me think, and I think about it even more since I have a brother with autism. It talks about it here if you are interested: Breastfeeding, Brain Development and Chemical Poisons:* Neuroscientist Michael Merzenich - Science Café - UCSF

Anyway, I am in no way anti-breastfeeding so I hope I'm not coming across that way. I just get tired of my decisions being bashed and people assuming I have put no thought into my choices. I'm sure women who choose to breastfeed feel the same way when they get bashed. I just wish we could make our choices without all the judgement. Off my soapbox now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting