Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 AM

903 posts, read 3,582,825 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. we just moved into a neighborhood 2 1/2 years ago. my younger children changed elementary school but my older child was able to go to the same middle school as her friends. 6 years before that we moved on the same block-great opportunity. now we are thinking of moving again. the new house needs a lot more work than we care to invest in it. id rather live in a less fancy area in something smaller with less major projects to be done.

question-do you think it would be detrimental to the kids to move if everyone was able to stay in their same school-high school/middle school. i feel bad that they will have no house to remember growing up in-just a lot of houses in the same 2 zip codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,868,398 times
Well no if they aren't changing anything but a house it shouldn't kill them. But have you cinsidered making the stuff you need to do into family projects? That way stuff gets done, and everyone gets to bond a bit.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times
big renovations mean lots of mess, stress, time and most of all three times what you think it would cost. I know from experience. Personally I would consider all that more than schools. going to the same school is fine but all the upheaval at home will be detrimental.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
hi everyone. we just moved into a neighborhood 2 1/2 years ago. my younger children changed elementary school but my older child was able to go to the same middle school as her friends. 6 years before that we moved on the same block-great opportunity. now we are thinking of moving again. the new house needs a lot more work than we care to invest in it. id rather live in a less fancy area in something smaller with less major projects to be done.

question-do you think it would be detrimental to the kids to move if everyone was able to stay in their same school-high school/middle school. i feel bad that they will have no house to remember growing up in-just a lot of houses in the same 2 zip codes.
My sister and family did a major renovation on their house years back which took close to a year and $75,000 more than estimated. She said she'd never do that again. The stress costs some good quality family time. I don't think the move will effect your children. We've moved 3 times and my daughter has fond memories at every house. In fact, she'd probably be excited if we were to go house hunting again.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,760,174 times
My kids have moved 3 times within the same school district. The first house was good for us, the second house was bad for our family dynamics, and the house we are in now is a good one. I definately believe that a house can affect your family (finances, stress, etc...). Make the move a positive thing for your kids... and be sure you are moving to something that will benefit your family. If everything about the next move is presented as a positive thing, your kids should be just fine.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
You will hear alot of different opinions on this subject. Ideally children should stay in the same neighbborhood, children like things to be predictable. I moved my children several times, for career reasons...sorry I had to do it, but my values were to be able to support myself, and them. They still don't understand it, and I am the "bad Mother" who made them move all the time when they were in school, and moving as a child is the scapegoat for every problem they are having now as adults. So, do what you have to do...they will adjust fine. Mine did, and had opportunities to live different places, and meet people from other cultures. I think it was positive. My kids don't think that way though...

Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 PM

903 posts, read 3,582,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
My kids have moved 3 times within the same school district. The first house was good for us, the second house was bad for our family dynamics, and the house we are in now is a good one. I definately believe that a house can affect your family (finances, stress, etc...). Make the move a positive thing for your kids... and be sure you are moving to something that will benefit your family. If everything about the next move is presented as a positive thing, your kids should be just fine.

The first house was a starter-then the 2nd on the same block opened up-had a lot done and a beautiful backyard-3rd house was an upgrade to bigger house/fancier neighborhood. It has lots of kids and the people are very nice but the house needs big money put into it. The property isnt kid friendly either. I want something smaller, less $$ that needs to be put in with a nice kid friendly backyard-although my kids are growing out of the age of playing in the back.

I feel like we look like the crazy family who cant settle down in the same community. We would have moved towns 3 years ago with this last move but didnt want to move my oldest from her middle school where she was happy. what to do what to do.....

Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
It's not a problem at all to move if the schools are the same. Especially as kids get older, their friends will be all over the map, and driving!! Being on the same street or even in the same neighborhood forever won't matter. And having one house to have memories of...well, what does that get anyone really? NOTHING. Get the house you want and don't even worry about it. As parents we are often conditioned to overthink things like this and worry about every little thing we do impacting the kids "perfect childhood". PFFFT! is all I can say about that. People move all the time and usually change schools, this is NOTHING.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times
These days, people would likely be moving like crazy, ... if anyone could sell their house to move with a job. Instead, I believe there are a lot more families split apart by folks being forced to live elsewhere and commute. Given the two scenarios, I think that moving together as a family is probably healthier for the kids.

We moved three times after the kids started school (for career purposes) -- As it turns out, every move was better than the last, in terms of the overall well-being of the family ... and also, what turned-out for the best for the kids. Nevertheless, my grown kids still regard those moves as tramatic events in their lives... even though they have maintained lifetime friends everywhere we went. --

I think the moving 'issue' was not so much with the kids, but with my wife, who grew-up in the same small town and never moved. The moves were tramatic for her, and she communicated that to the kids ... in a way that made it seem like we moved almost every year! BTW - That's my wife and I'm not finding fault. --- I'm only saying that the response of the children to moving and other events in the life of the family, probably depend more on the attitudes of the parents, than on the event itself.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,501,944 times
we moved about 3 times in the span of 6-7 years. i was in the same school, except or the last move which moved us to a new district. that was the move that affected me/us. the others were just fun cause we got to be in a new house and decorate and fix etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting