Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times

Advertisements

Our will stipulates that my brother-in-law (husband's brother) and his wife would take care of our children. They are very kind, finacially sound and have kids our kids' ages.

The only drawback is that they're non-practicing Catholics and we are non-denominational Christians and very involved in our church. Otherwise, our interests and lifestyles are similar.

Both of my sisters are in rocky marriages so I wouldn't feel comfortable having my kids live with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
We don't have a Will yet, but we have asked my SIL and her husband and have told the rest of our small family. We don't want our parents because of age (although when we do get a Will, my parents will be second in line), and my sister can barely raise her own daughter. My SIL has two girls, the youngest only two years older than my oldest, her husband would be a great role model for my boys, and they are financially secure.

Unfortunately, they don't hold all the same values as us--the boys don't watch TV or play video games, we try to stress simplicity, and we are vegetarians. However, they are good people and good parents and the most important thing is that they grow up into good men. We realize that there are several ways to get there.

Also, our boys barely know them (my youngest has never even met them), but they are our best choice. We have spent their whole lives moving so much, that we are a bit of an island--so no close friends. We have one friend that is so close, though, that the boys call her auntie and know her better than either of their "real" aunts. She has lived with us numerous times and has helped raise them. She would be my first pick, but she isn't married and enjoys working seasonal jobs, and has never really wanted kids. If she got married and "settled down," I would ask her if she would.

The positive part of my SIL taking the boys is that we don't have worry about my MIL flipping out. My oldest asked about it already and I explained it to him, so even though he doesn't really know them, he can feel more secure in at least knowing. (We are going to vacation with them for a week this summer, though!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting