Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Parents often get blamed when their children go astray — whether it’s an ill-behaved toddler or an adult rehashing a troubled childhood during a therapy session.

But should good parents be blamed when kids go bad? That’s the question posed by Dr. Richard Friedman in today’s Science Times.

Read more: When Good Parents Have Bad Children - Well Blog - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Interesting article and comments. Society looks for easy explanations and easy, simplistic fixes. And experts tend to be very clinical, quickly concluding that a child's bad behavior is a product of something in the home environment, including parenting. If you as a parent try to explain differently, many experts rebuff you because, after all, they are the "experts."

Even experts can stand to grow and to learn from others. But if one can't come to the quick, easy solution, then one must work harder and delve into the unknown. And possibly never reach a valid conclusion.

I don't think many people are hard-wired to do that kind of delving.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I think good parents can have bad children. Unfortunately, stating that is, to some people, an "easy way out". It's lose/lose either way.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
You do the best you can on raising your kids, you teach them right from wrong but there is always that element of having their own way of thinking and making their own choices. I have told many just this "the first 18 years of your life, the parent is responsiable, the years after that, YOU are responsiable!".

I also use to tell mine I taught them right from wrong and did the best I could to instill in them how to make the RIGHT choice when the time came for them to make a choice. It was how they used what I taught them that would effect the rest of their life once they were adults. Once a adult, the blame/credit all fell on them for their choices.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM

75 posts, read 288,108 times
We are going through this right now. My husband and I raised our children with values, morals, and lived by the "golden rule". We practiced what we preached. However, we have had 2 of our kids stray down a path so opposite of the way they were raised. Our 16 year old son is going to be the death of me. We have spoken to the police and have had to call them, but have been encouraged by the PD and friends that we can do all the right things, but once the kids walk out the door, they make a choice. I can't say it makes me as a mother feel any better, but I know we did all we could and just pray they turn their lives around.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mompooh3 View Post
My husband and I raised our children with values, morals, and lived by the "golden rule". We practiced what we preached. However, we have had 2 of our kids stray down a path so opposite of the way they were raised.
Children either embrace or reject their parents values. For example, children of racists will either grow up to be racists or completely oppose racism. The same applies to being raised by religious parents. I'll bet that parental influence probably prevails statistically, but some children are wired to think for themselves and buck the system. There's nothing you can do to prevent a rebel personality. But your children who are going to be the death of you could end up being your most successful children as adults. Hang in there!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I was a terror. My parents had no control over me. They did the best they could and they were loving, caring parents. They were involved in everything in my life from school, friends, sports etc. They always tried to keep a leash on me but the point is sometimes a kid is just going to do what they want no matter how good the parents "parenting skills" are.

By age 15 I had set a teachers car on fire, gotten into multiple fights, done every drug known to man, sold drugs, had multiple sexual partners, been arrested atleast half a dozen times, trashed the high school and done other things which i will never admit too.

I dont know what i was rebelling against or why i was so angry but luckily for me i finally turned myself around before it was too late.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Define "good parenting". What you believe is ideal for a teen to be growing up with, may not be what they want or view as quality parenting. You all know the saying... the grass is greener... In my experience, most teens think everyone else has it better and may rebel because they see themselves on the short end of the stick constantly (even though, we as parents, know that's not the case). I really think it's just a roll of the dice sometimes...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
I think Good Parents and Bad Children is arbitrary. And I want to know who decides.

Kids aren't "bad". Some are hardcases. Some want to play in the street and nothing will change that. It is only when they dig themselves a hole that takes too much time to get out of that they get it. I've seen parents manipulate the system. Surface wise it looks like a "good parent" but they are really are out there.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
My sister explained it to me this way:

Adam and Eve talked to God. Adam was the first prophet. Yet they had a son who committed murder.

Were they bad parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting