Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times

Advertisements

I understand your impatience to have a lovely time with your new hubby. But you have your whole life to go on a honeymoon. Your kid will only have one first week in his new class, with his new teacher and schoolfriends...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
It's a shame that you didn't consider the timing more carefully; schools don't always start the same day each year. In the future you should keep that in mind when planning trips. But for now, that first week of 1st grade is very important. The schedules, routines, making new friends, learning the rules, it all happens that first week. Your son will be fine if he misses that first week, he can catch up---but it would be a real shame if he did miss it. It will make it harder on him. Why not plan a weekend away for now, then a longer trip later? Not to sound mercinary, but you should put your child's needs ahead of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Video conferencing would be a great idea for him to get to see what's going on in the classroom from Texas. Most all classrooms have capabilities for that.
Unfortunately that is not available in our school district, certainly not in the elementary schools.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The first week of school is really important. Everyone in the class is getting to know the teacher, the routine, the other kids, etc. If he misses the first week he will miss all the instruction that the teacher gives regarding how the classroom will be run. He will feel out of place when he returns.
That's how it is here too. That first week is oh-so-important!

I would not make him miss that first week if he were my child...

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
When you have kids, you have to do what's best for them. I don't think missing the first week would kill him and he may be looking forward to the time with his dad, since he lives so far away. However, if I were you I would be re-scheduling the trip to happen over Spring break and just dealing with having to wait to go on the honeymoon.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM

426 posts, read 791,823 times
I have to agree with the others. The first week of school is really important for a child. I remember being super excided to go to school on the first day that I couldn't even sleep the night before. But besides the point. You are a "family" and getting married with a child involved you can't always put the needs/wants of your own first. I like the suggestion another poster said about taking a nice weekend to yourselves then arranging the honeymoon get away another time a few months from now.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Here's another thought, as I suspect the OP will not want to give up the honeymoon. As I previously stated, I think it's a bad idea for the child to miss the first week, and that the OP should put off the honeymoon, preferably coinciding with a school vacation, and take a weekend honeymoon for now instead. But if that doesn't appeal to her, maybe her child could go to school that first week, then the mother take her honeymoon the following week.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I disagree with putting off your honeymoon. Yes, it would be ideal to have your child there the first week. But, it certainly won't be the end of the world if he isn't. By the 2nd month of school it won't matter one bit.

We purposely kept our kids home one year when we moved to a new town. We let the craziness of back-to-school subside for a couple of weeks, then registered them. That way everyone knew they were new, and they weren't lost in the shuffle,

Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I disagree with putting off your honeymoon. Yes, it would be ideal to have your child there the first week. But, it certainly won't be the end of the world if he isn't. By the 2nd month of school it won't matter one bit.

We purposely kept our kids home one year when we moved to a new town. We let the craziness of back-to-school subside for a couple of weeks, then registered them. That way everyone knew they were new, and they weren't lost in the shuffle,
I agree.

Hopefully this will be the only time the OP will have a wedding and honeymoon. It really isn't a honeymoon after you wait months. It's a trip.

The son will have many (11 to be exact) more first days. The mother will have one wedding.

When a trip is planned, it's planned in advance. A lot of money can be lost by changing those plans. Family is coming from Germany and would not be there for the wedding at a different time.

OP, go and have a great time. Your son will adjust fine when you get him into school AFTER your honeymoon and he'll have a great time with his dad while you're away.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
I think that you are a parent, first and foremost. Missing school at ANY time during the year makes it that much harder for a child to keep up with his/her learning. He would have to make up that work, at the very least - even if the teacher gave him a pass, he is missing out on LEARNING.

A whole week of school is a huge deal. It's not like he's staying home because he has the chicken pox and has someone there helping him keep up in his studies. You can go on your honeymoon as a later date, preferably over the summer or spring break where your son isn't missing out on his education.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
The wedding was originally planned at that time because of when family from Germany would be able to come. And I did not know that school would start when it was. The wedding has been planned since last July and last year school did not start until the last week of August and not the 16th. So we didn't find out til approx. 3-4 weeks ago that school this year would start on the 16th. And the situation with the father does not allow him to come to Missouri for a week. And my family does not live here either and still have school age kids so either they would miss or he would. And they do get winter break but we would like to spend the holidays with our familys as well. So putting off the honeymoon until spring break just seems so far away.
When you're a parent, though, you accept these types of inconveniences if they are in the best interest of your child. Ask yourself if your son would be negatively affected by missing the first week of school. At his age, I think he would be. You would be much less affected by waiting to honeymoon with your new spouse until it's a more appropriate time to leave your son. You are the adult here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting