Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 AM

313 posts, read 406,774 times

Advertisements

I am not really sure why this article is even news. I guess because many people don't know any better when it comes to genetics and how the children can and may come out looking.

Too many people are still ignorant when it comes to this.

I experience this ignorance all the time. Many people don't believe that my youngest son is actually my birth child. they think I have to be his step mother. I have even had Doctors try and tell me that he can't be my biological child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

YouTube - black people with blue eyes and blonde hair

I think that we are all one race actually. The video above shows children of black parents who were born with blue eyes and even a couple who have blond hair. If this variation can happen, I see no reason to believe that skin tones cannot also vary even with two parents who are darker or lighter than the infant they bear.

Then there was Sandra Laing

Cry, The Beloved Countries - washingtonpost.com

Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM

313 posts, read 406,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

YouTube - black people with blue eyes and blonde hair

I think that we are all one race actually. The video above shows children of black parents who were born with blue eyes and even a couple who have blond hair. If this variation can happen, I see no reason to believe that skin tones cannot also vary even with two parents who are darker or lighter than the infant they bear.

Then there was Sandra Laing

Cry, The Beloved Countries - washingtonpost.com
Actually none of these are very good representation of the misconception about how children of black people can come out looking due to genes...

This is my youngest son with a tan, which of course goes away during the winter...lol
Attached Thumbnails
News, Black British couple give birth to white blue-eyed blonde baby girl.-100_2370b.jpg  

Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
Actually none of these are very good representation of the misconception about how children of black people can come out looking due to genes...

This is my youngest son with a tan, which of course goes away during the winter...lol
Sure, they are. Did you not watch the video? Your son is just another example, even though his eyes are neither blue nor his hair blond.

I knew a boy when I was young who was dark-skinned with piercing blue eyes, just like the little boy in the video.

I also have cousins who look like the blond children in the video.

One of my friends is biracial and so is her husband. They have three kids. One of them looks kind of like your son, only with lighter, curlier hair. He looks more white than black. One of the girls has sandy brown hair and looks biracial. The third child, a girl, looks black. The funny thing is that the 'white-looking' boy and the 'black-looking' girl are twins.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
One of my friends is biracial and so is her husband. They have three kids. One of them looks kind of like your son, only with lighter, curlier hair. He looks more white than black. One of the girls has sandy brown hair and looks biracial. The third child, a girl, looks black. The funny thing is that the 'white-looking' boy and the 'black-looking' girl are twins.
I met a girl once who had lighter black skin, blondish curly hair (like ringlets) and blue eyes. and freckles! She was the prettiest most interesting person I ever saw!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I don't know why there would be less of a chance?
I hadn't heard of that book, so I looked it up. Sounds interesting.

However, whites were never the majority in Nigeria. A much smaller percentage of Nigerians have white ancestry while virtually all African-Americans do. Most African-Americans have at least 10% European ancestry, except in traditionally isolated areas like the Sea Islands, where the Gullahs only have about an average of 4% European ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting