Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times

Advertisements

Parents keep child’s gender under wraps - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110524/ts_yblog_thelookout/parents-keep-childs-gender-under-wraps - broken link)

This is one of the most interesting parenting strategies I have heard about in a long time.

How long do you think they will be able to keep one of the siblings from announcing it to the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Parents keep child’s gender under wraps - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110524/ts_yblog_thelookout/parents-keep-childs-gender-under-wraps - broken link)

This is one of the most interesting parenting strategies I have heard about in a long time.

How long do you think they will be able to keep one of the siblings from announcing it to the world?
I think the baby was born a hermaphrodite...
that comes to mind when they say that they want the baby to choose what sex it wants to be.. meaning the baby has a choice of being a boy or a girl...

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,493 times
Baby looks like a boy to me.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I think the baby was born a hermaphrodite...
that comes to mind when they say that they want the baby to choose what sex it wants to be.. meaning the baby has a choice of being a boy or a girl...
That was my first thought as well. By not announcing as one or the other gender it allows the baby to develop their own tendencies towards one side or the other instead of the parents choosing and then later feeling like they made the wrong choice.

I know someone who was born this way and the parents chose girl. When she became an adult and discovered she had no uterus and couldn't have babies, she was told what happened. It really messed with her head and emotions. I can't imagine having to think about that much less make decisions regarding it.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
The article says that the genitalia are not ambiguous. The parents a made by deliberate decision to withhold information. The brothers know. I wonder how long they will keep it to themselves.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
and they "unschool" too... I could understand going this route if the baby was a hermaphrodite, or if gender confusion was a really common thing. For your normal kid, I think it is a bit much. A baby can't pick out his or her own clothes anyway. Someone has to do it. There aren't really gender neutral baby clothes past infant sizes. I wonder what s/he wears.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Ok I didn't read the article. Honestly my tooth hurts and I'm now in a bad mood.

But if "it" has brothers won't it naturally gravitate toward being a boy? I mean, having only had a sister I really have no clue how little boys act and interact. All I know is how little girls interact with little girls on a co habitation level.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,419 times
The media shouldn't have published a story about these nut cases who are craving for publicity. They should have called child protection services and monitored if this can be a form of child abuse. One thing for sure: this couple is unfit to become parents.

Unless one was born a hermaphrodite, one does not DECIDE what gender one wants to be. It is ASSIGNED at birth. And part of parenting is to DECIDE and do what you think is best for your children. It is NOT this baby's decision to be raised this way! It is this lunatic parents' decision.

Being accepting of your child's sexual orientation and preferences later in life when they become adults is a different discussion. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with raising boys as boys and raising girls as girls!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
Pretty sure they're just trying to keep the outside world from acting a certain way towards their kid - you know the "He's so strong!!", "She's so pretty" comments, as well as the "He's a boy - I'll buy him a truck", "She's a girl, I'll get her a pretty pink stuffed animal pony"...

Basically a hippie social experiment. I think its pretty cool, and unlikely to screw the kid up too much... but clearly given the fact that this has made the news, society at large has a problem with it.

But society at large likes to put things in neat little boxes of classification -- that's what humans do, we classify everything.

My guess is it won't last too much longer, if only because at a certain point restroom choice will become involved.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Pretty sure they're just trying to keep the outside world from acting a certain way towards their kid - you know the "He's so strong!!", "She's so pretty" comments, as well as the "He's a boy - I'll buy him a truck", "She's a girl, I'll get her a pretty pink stuffed animal pony"...

Basically a hippie social experiment. I think its pretty cool, and unlikely to screw the kid up too much... but clearly given the fact that this has made the news, society at large has a problem with it.

But society at large likes to put things in neat little boxes of classification -- that's what humans do, we classify everything.

My guess is it won't last too much longer, if only because at a certain point restroom choice will become involved.
That won't be an issue, it can just be like it's older brother wearing braids and a pink frilly dress and go into the girls room .

These kids ARE going to be messed up--just the fact that they are required to keep the gender of their sibling from the outside world is just wrong--and how do they keep a 2 year old from blurting out that it's a boy/girl is beyond me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting