Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't mean tell her she's ugly - just agree with her since telling her otherwise isn't getting her to be quiet about it.

I think the parent could just nod and start going on about the things that are more important than superficial beauty and having a great personality and that one can still be well-liked for their inner beauty.

How can that hurt? If she's not so pretty, she needs to realize that being pretty isn't the only thing that matters and if she is pretty, she's not going to want to hear how she should work on her inner beauty. She wants to hear over and over that she's very pretty - but telling her that will just make her even more superficial because she already thinks it's too important.

Ignoring would work too.
I totally get where you're coming from. I just don't think agreeing with her is a good idea, even if she's not pretty.

I think something else you posted earlier in the thread would be better. Just outright tell her that you're not playing these games anymore.

This part of your previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
beauty isn't all she should focus on and that you're not going to tell her how beautiful she is everytime she says she's ugly - you're not playing that game.
Just outright tell her that. Then ignore her from that point forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
No do not and I repeat DO NOT tell her she is not good looking that will destroy her. Just ignore it, change the subject and eventually she will get sick and tired of repeating that she is ugly. If she doesn't get the payoff which is telling her she is beautiful then she will stop the behaviour.
Also I don't think its a good idea for a mother to point out all the other pretty girls around her age that will make her feel worse.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I totally agree with you lisalan. But it's okay for the mother to outright say that she's done playing games and will no longer entertain her with responses.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally agree with you lisalan. But it's okay for the mother to outright say that she's done playing games and will no longer entertain her with responses.

I agree with that too Hopes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting