Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess we'll just discuss this further when my daughter is older and it's "time" for the vaccine.

Oh wait, no we won't. I'll the decisions for my daughter, and you can make the decision for yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Condoms, schmondoms. \
Ha. I love the way people on here will jump on you with the "Condoms aren't always effective" when referring to pregnancy. YET, they seem to prevent ALL STDs. I used a condom every time and still got HPV! 6 Surgeries and vaginal chemo later I am finally clear of it. My HPV test came back negative, but let's just say, yes its treatable, but its a treatment I could of lived a happy life having not been subjected to.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Well, I guess we'll just discuss this further when my daughter is older and it's "time" for the vaccine.

Oh wait, no we won't. I'll the decisions for my daughter, and you can make the decision for yours.
If you don't want to get some information you may not have, hear some ideas you might not have considered, you probably shouldn't be on this forum.

Just curious, how old is your daughter?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Ha. I love the way people on here will jump on you with the "Condoms aren't always effective" when referring to pregnancy. YET, they seem to prevent ALL STDs. I used a condom every time and still got HPV! 6 Surgeries and vaginal chemo later I am finally clear of it. My HPV test came back negative, but let's just say, yes its treatable, but its a treatment I could of lived a happy life having not been subjected to.
I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I'm glad you're clear now.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It is only "entirely treatable" if it's caught in time. It is only avoidable if your daughter abstains from sex, because as I said in a previous post, condoms do NOT protect against HPV, because venereal warts do not show up exclusively on the penis or in the vagina, and that is the common transmitter of the virus.

If a woman has pap smears as she should, most cervical problems are detected early. Instead of giving our daughters shots that could or could not cause problems why not teach them to be pro-active in regards to their health, ie you get a pap smear when you become sexually active no matter the age or at age 18 and continue with said pap smears until a doctor tells you, you no longer need them.

I tend to agree with posters who want to see a vaccine that has been on the market alittle bit longer. I think it can cause a false sense of security and possibly cause a young woman to become lax with her healthcare, thinking that the Gardasil will take care of any HPV when in fact it doesn't treat every strain.

All in all it is a personal decision for each individual and in this case their parents since it is adminstered before they are of legal age to make their own decisions.

I think it is very strange that they can come up with a shot for pre teens to treat HPV, but they have yet to come up with one to treat anyone over 26, considering how high of a risk they are saying everyone is at and how condoms won't prevent it.

Maybe a reason to teach abstince until marriage for both males and females alike, that way your child isn't sleeping with everyone their mate has slept with.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
If a woman has pap smears as she should, most cervical problems are detected early. Instead of giving our daughters shots that could or could not cause problems why not teach them to be pro-active in regards to their health, ie you get a pap smear when you become sexually active no matter the age or at age 18 and continue with said pap smears until a doctor tells you, you no longer need them.
Or you could be like me and go from healthy to severe cervical displaisa between pap smears. All in the course of one year.

Quote:
I tend to agree with posters who want to see a vaccine that has been on the market alittle bit longer. I think it can cause a false sense of security and possibly cause a young woman to become lax with her healthcare, thinking that the Gardasil will take care of any HPV when in fact it doesn't treat every strain.
doesn't treat anything. its a preventative.

Quote:
I think it is very strange that they can come up with a shot for pre teens to treat HPV, but they have yet to come up with one to treat anyone over 26, considering how high of a risk they are saying everyone is at and how condoms won't prevent it.
Again, it doesn't TREAT anything.

Quote:
Maybe a reason to teach abstince until marriage for both males and females alike, that way your child isn't sleeping with everyone their mate has slept with.
Hmm. didn't do that. got it from my first sex partner. Is it lonely on your pedestal?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
My mom had uterine cancer. It sucked. My daughter will get the shots in a few years. Prevention is always far better than cure. A young adult may not have health insurance or they may forget to get a unpleasant and slightly procedure like a pap smear. My sincerest sympathies, Ohiogirl, for what you have been through.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I got pap smears every year faithfully. We didn't even know I had HPV, until one year's pap came out showing severe displasia. Which - I had absolutely no sign of, whatsoever, the year before. I was 28, and living with my soon-to-be husband (who I've now been married to for 20 years).

Apparently I had contracted HPV long before I ever showed any symptoms, before I met my husband (who was negative and asymptomatic). In fact I had no symptoms, that I was aware of.

Again though - by the time it shows up on your pap smear, it's too late. You already have it and it needs to be treated. You can have HPV your entire life and never contract cervical cancer. You could, instead, just have venereal warts and spread it to anyone you have sexual contact with, indefinitely. Or, you could be asymptomatic and never have any sign of it at all.

Problem is, by the time you find out which kind of carrier you're going to be, you already ARE that kind of carrier. Best to nip it in the bud before you ever have to find out, than find out and have to go through chemo or surgery to get rid of the cancer it causes - or have to figure out how you'll have any sexual relationship at all, even with a potential spouse, without passing the virus to the spouse. And of course the risk that comes from passing it to babies when while they're sitting up against a diseased cervix.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Or you could be like me and go from healthy to severe cervical displaisa between pap smears. All in the course of one year.

doesn't treat anything. its a preventative.

Again, it doesn't TREAT anything.

Hmm. didn't do that. got it from my first sex partner. Is it lonely on your pedestal?
nope not lonely on my pedastal at all

Of course if you had paid attention to my post I never said that it would happen did I, I said maybe a reason to promote abstinence, instead of trusting a shot that noone knows how long it will be effective or at what age a booster will be needed

And I stand corrected, that it is a preventative shot, still however it is a personal decision best made by each person and their family.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
nope not lonely on my pedastal at all

Of course if you had paid attention to my post I never said that it would happen did I, I said maybe a reason to promote abstinence, instead of trusting a shot that noone knows how long it will be effective or at what age a booster will be needed

And I stand corrected, that it is a preventative shot, still however it is a personal decision best made by each person and their family.
If that's your concern, that you might need a booster, why not get the series? It is not just a shot, it is a series of three, given over 6 months. There is no current recommendation for any boosters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting