Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,355,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Putting infants in the back seat is also much of the problem. Drugged or not, you're not as likely to forget them if they're in the front passenger seat.

They're not supposed to be in the front seat because the AIR BAG going off could KILL an infant. Keep your infants in the back seat. They are safer in the back seats. Most parents do not forget that their infant is in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 AM

821 posts, read 2,043,967 times
Thanks for sharing and thanks goodness your little boy was safe and sound. I also took aniexty pills (cant remember the name of them) but I was passed out. I would wake up say something slured and then pass out again and that was the lowest dosage . Never again will I take them.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,295,350 times
Quote:
Putting infants in the back seat is also much of the problem. Drugged or not, you're not as likely to forget them if they're in the front passenger seat.
that is not recommended or even allowed in some cases. It is not as safe as the back seat if you are in an accident.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,608,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Aren't you not supposed to drive on medication like that? I had to take a Xanax for a minor surgery and I had to get a ride. I couldn't even imagine operating a TV remote control on something like that let alone charing for a child AND driving a car.
An anti-depressant like Paxil is not the same kind of one-shot drug as a Xanax. It's more analogous to something like high blood pressure medication or thyroid medication, where it has long term effects on a body system and takes a while, usually weeks, to have a noticeable affect.

However, a/d's can (as the OP demonstrates with her story) have short-term side effects in the beginning when your body is getting used to it. It IS a drug that is treating your central nervous system. Usually warning labels note this with cautions like "do not drive or operate machinery until you see how the drug affects you."

Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,394,140 times
The stories that make the news where charges are filed aren't mere accidents where the parents simply forgot. Police charge negligent parents. Circumstances that cause a parent to simply forget aren't considered criminal. It might get CPS involved to make sure it doesn't continue.

I remember a story of a father who carried a newborn to the car in the carseat. He set the carseat on top of the car and got into the car and drove away. He forgot the baby was on top of the car. The car seat (with baby) went flying into the street. No charges were filed because he didn't do it on purpose. He was sleep deprived and his first baby was new to his routine. (btw, the baby was fine.)

It takes time for people to adjust to something new in their lives. I've never forgotten my children, but I had to make a mental effort to remember a child who came to live with us. Since he wasn't part of my daily routine, I was terrified I would forget to pick him up. Every morning, I would set my cell phone alarm for different times of the day that I needed to pick him up from school, from work, etc. I never forgot him, but I was always afraid I would forget him because he wasn't my own child and his schedule was new to my daily routine.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It is not as safe as the back seat if you are in an accident.
I believe that's only true if there is an airbag on the passenger side. Airbags are super dangerous for children.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,295,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I believe that's only true if there is an airbag on the passenger side. Airbags are super dangerous for children.
I think it is mostly because of the air bag, but not entirely IIRC

Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think it is mostly because of the air bag, but not entirely IIRC
Totally off topic and unrelated to children: I remember trying to find someone to disable my airbags. It was like trying to find someone to do a back alley abortion.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,918,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post

Air-bag or not, the seat that seems to suffer the most casualties is the front passenger seat.There is a reason that seat is commonly known as the ''death seat''. In an accident the person in the front passenger seat is more likely to sustain the worst injuries. There are too many things that can go wrong for a child in the front seat. Buying an infant mirror that lets you see a child in a rear-facing car seat would be better.
I realize that is the reason people put the infant alone in the back seat - but that's usually where they are when they are left in cars - they are quiet or sleeping in the back, the parent is distracted, tired, doped up or whatever and forgets about them, they wouldn't if the child was right next to them in the car.

Another thing parents of young kids should do is to never roll up all the windows of their vehicles. Leave the two back windows half down always even when the car is parked. Young children will sometimes crawl into a car on their own to play and with windows up, it can be tragic.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 AM

860 posts, read 2,725,061 times
Quote:
I realize that is the reason people put the infant alone in the back seat - but that's usually where they are when they are left in cars - they are quiet or sleeping in the back, the parent is distracted, tired, doped up or whatever and forgets about them, they wouldn't if the child was right next to them in the car.

Another thing parents of young kids should do is to never roll up all the windows of their vehicles. Leave the two back windows half down always even when the car is parked. Young children will sometimes crawl into a car on their own to play and with windows up, it can be tragic.
YES! Its also important to lock your car up so that kids cannot get inside and play. A local 3 yr old died here in AZ because his mom was studying, he got out and into the car and died right in the front seat. She was spending time looking everywhere soon after he went missing ,but not the car. So heartbreaking, and something that could happen to many parents.Boys love to play in vans/cars.

If your child is lost and its hot, check the car 1st as they can survive elsewhere.

Sadly, I saw a Dateline special that did an experiment where a realistic baby doll was left in a car seat in back w/ a crying sound going. on a 80 degree day on a busy street. Few people actually stopped to make sure the baby was OK, and call 911. I was very surprised and disappointed in people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting