Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 AM

860 posts, read 2,724,431 times

Advertisements

I just want to mention also that the term "drugged" and "doped up" are being thrown around alot. I did not feel that I was either, even though in reflection I must have been affected more than I thought . I was not ready to pass out or unclear in logic. I slept more than usual and felt odd and foggy.

I point this out not to explain myself, but because I don't want people to think it can't happen to them. I really wish someone would invent something to alert parents if they forget a child in a carseat. I am not clever enough to think of what.

The baby in back is a safety improvement but also a hazard in terms of forgetting a sleeping baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:58 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,001,553 times
Hart4july, that was very courageous and gutsy of you to post your personal experience about this issue! I'm glad that nothing terrible happened to that child while being in the car! This can happen to anyone, although I wish it wouldn't happen at all.

Even side-effects from a prescribed drug can make you forget about the most important things and people in your life. I don't like to take prescribed meds either. Topical cremes/shampoos, birth control pills, and the occasional allergy medicine/cold medicine (for those really bad allergy/sick days) is where I draw the line. Doctors are pressured by the pharmaceutical companies to push their products like tasty candy to the general public...it's sickening. *rant over*

I have to consciously watch my youngest nice whenever my mom steps out to go to the store or run errands (this doesn't happen often). I'm away at college most of year, so I'm pretty much never around children until I get back home. I can't just sit and vegetate in front of the TV and not pay any attention to what my niece is doing. When she's playing in another room and it starts to get too quiet, I get paranoid ; I have to immediately call out her name and walk to wherever she is to make sure that she's alright. And she is, thank goodness! Most of the time, I tried to make her play in the room I'm in, just so that i can keep a close eye on her. I can't imagine having to do that everyday!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 AM

89,022 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The stories that make the news where charges are filed aren't mere accidents where the parents simply forgot. Police charge negligent parents. Circumstances that cause a parent to simply forget aren't considered criminal. It might get CPS involved to make sure it doesn't continue.

I remember a story of a father who carried a newborn to the car in the carseat. He set the carseat on top of the car and got into the car and drove away. He forgot the baby was on top of the car. The car seat (with baby) went flying into the street. No charges were filed because he didn't do it on purpose. He was sleep deprived and his first baby was new to his routine. (btw, the baby was fine.)

It takes time for people to adjust to something new in their lives. I've never forgotten my children, but I had to make a mental effort to remember a child who came to live with us. Since he wasn't part of my daily routine, I was terrified I would forget to pick him up. Every morning, I would set my cell phone alarm for different times of the day that I needed to pick him up from school, from work, etc. I never forgot him, but I was always afraid I would forget him because he wasn't my own child and his schedule was new to my daily routine.
A friend of mine took her newborn, along with her 4 year old, to an outdoor flea market. She loves to haggle over prices, and she was going back and forth with some woman at one of the tables over an item, and it got heated and the woman selling the item wouldn't come down to my friend's price. So, she finally said "forget it" and walked away. She heard the woman calling after her, "Ma'am!" "Ma'am!". She wasn't going to answer, but she finally turned around and said "WHAT"? The woman said "Didn't you forget something?" and nodded toward the stroller with with the baby in the it that my friend had left behind. She felt like an idiot, lol.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM

89,022 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I just want to mention also that the term "drugged" and "doped up" are being thrown around alot. I did not feel that I was either, even though in reflection I must have been affected more than I thought . I was not ready to pass out or unclear in logic. I slept more than usual and felt odd and foggy.

I point this out not to explain myself, but because I don't want people to think it can't happen to them. I really wish someone would invent something to alert parents if they forget a child in a carseat. I am not clever enough to think of what.

The baby in back is a safety improvement but also a hazard in terms of forgetting a sleeping baby.
I know what you mean. I had to take a drug for a while in the same classification as Paxil (it's one that's rarely used anymore but works well when you have OCD problems along with depression.) I can still remember feeling weird the first few weeks. I didn't have an infant then, but I would misplace things at work, and I did sleep a lot, too. Sometimes I would lie on the bed and watch my toes moving all by themselves. Those symptoms went away as my body adjusted to the meds.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,371,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I can understand how it happened to you. You can feel perfectly fine, not drugged or tired, and the drug can cause short term memory problems. Antidepressants commonly cause short term memory problems during the first months. They can also interfere with sequencing, missing steps in an activity. For example, bringing groceries to the car in a cart, emptying the cart into the car, getting into the car and backing into the cart because putting the cart away was dropped from the sequence of activities in the task. A person can feel perfectly alert and normal and have these memory side effects that usually only last the first couple of months for people who have these side effects.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 PM

860 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can understand how it happened to you. You can feel perfectly fine, not drugged or tired, and the drug can cause short term memory problems. Antidepressants commonly cause short term memory problems during the first months. They can also interfere with sequencing, missing steps in an activity. For example, bringing groceries to the car in a cart, emptying the cart into the car, getting into the car and backing into the cart because putting the cart away was dropped from the sequence of activities in the task. A person can feel perfectly alert and normal and have these memory side effects that usually only last the first couple of months for people who have these side effects.
Very well said. Thanks for explaining that so well.

The reason I think my story is worth telling is because BOTH the use of mood altering medications has gone up and the incedence of car seat deaths. I think busy schedules, shared parental responsibility (I thought you did that syndrome) as well as moving the babies to the back seat is at issue but I have to wonder if medications could be involved in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting