Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,589,034 times

Advertisements

No, he turned 5 in April.

We did discuss the plan with him today, um, lets say it didn't go over too well! Another rough day this morning like I posted earlier, but once he is in class the teachers say he is doing okay with just the occasional tear. They had mass this morning and the principal said he did great! He stillwon't eat in school though (don't think thats helping him any). he still won't talk to us about his day and spend most of this evening just scowling at us when we asked him questions so we stopped and when he kept scowling for simple questions (not related to school at all - like what do you want to drink for supper), we sent him to his room and told him to come down when he was done (happened about 3 times). Then we just went about the evening as usual. He was fine until bedtime when he started dwelling on tomorrow, not wanting to go, no friends, etc. We told him if he has 3 days of no "drama" when we drop him off that we will go as a familiy to the rainforest cafe as a treat. So we'll see if an incentive works. I feel like if we can get him to do 1 day without a fit he will be fine moving forward.

Not sure what the goals and curriculum are to be honest. My wife is an SLP who works in a school system so she tends to be the one who asks more about goals, curriculm, etc.... I know the last few days its been mostly stuff he has already done in pre-K, but they are reading newer books that he hasn't read before so I don't think he is bored or anything like that. Lets see how the morning goes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 AM

526 posts, read 1,005,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I have a different problem. Kindergarten isn't enough for him. It's only half day and they seem to be doing preK stuff.

If you don't mind me asking, what sre the goals and curiculum for his kindergarten?
I had a similar experience. My son went to pre-k 9-3 every day and kindergarten was onl half day. I just supplemented the work as usual and also sent him to his preschool part time. They had a kindergarten program in place for that exact reason.

Also though, school just started. They always start out with the basics just to place everyone and see what they know. Things should pick up shortly.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,222,514 times
He sounds very tired. It's a huge adjustment for the little guys. I bet if he gets a good rest on this long weekend, next weekend will be better. My own kids, who are older, are all so tired tonight-it takes time to get back on schedule.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,134,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
My oldest, he is 5, just started yesterday. It was a pretty miserable day for him and I keep telling myself that he will be okay. This morning was another morning of tears and begging for us not to make him go. He tells us that he has no friends and no one will play with him and I tell him that it will take him time to meet new friends and get used to his new routine.

On the flip side this has been pretty hard on us too. We feel really bad for him and are trying to assure him that all will be well. Yesterday was horrible when we had to drop him off. My wife said today wasn't much better. Anyone else struggling? Any tips to help us out? Thanks

Aww That was me as a kid. I hated school, I was the youngest there and just was anxious about leaving my mom. I eventually warmed up to my teacher and made friends. My child cried when I came to pick him up from school because he couldn't do to the after school daycare. He did this every day for 3 weeks. Some kid just take more time to adapt and warm up than others. My kids best friend still has not adjusted to kindergarten. He is shy and takes longer to get comfortable in new settings. Just encourage him and reassure him that you will be there to pick him up every day and maybe send a pic of your family in his backpack so he can feel that you are with him.
Quote:
In Canada kids start kindergarten at 4 yrs old which in my opinion is too young.
Yes, 4 is too young. We allow kids to be 4 until Dec 2 and that really is still too young to cope very well. I was even younger than that myself, and think that if I had waited, perhaps I would have adjusted quicker.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,440,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
He stillwon't eat in school though (don't think thats helping him any). he still won't talk to us about his day and spend most of this evening just scowling at us when we asked him questions so we stopped and when he kept scowling for simple questions (not related to school at all - like what do you want to drink for supper), we sent him to his room and told him to come down when he was done (happened about 3 times). Then we just went about the evening as usual. He was fine until bedtime when he started dwelling on tomorrow, not wanting to go, no friends, etc.
How did it go today? Given that he's still ticked off at dinnertime, you may want to just go and observe. Just to get the lay of the land and see the interactions between teacher and children, etc. You may get a clue as to the source of his behavior. I'm not sure it's all adjustment issues.

I was in a pre-school once, briefly. I remember it vaguely. Nothing wonderful, but nothing horrible either. However, my mom noticed that the pre-school teacher was impatient with my tears, sucking my thumb and not mixing with the other children easily. She spoke rather sharply. My mom pulled me out.

If a teacher (or other children) are impatient or just bothered by lack of quick adjustment, a sensitive child will pick this up. If this is occurring, it will come to light during an observation. Not that anyone is mistreating your son, but teachers in both public and private schools are under pressure to move along with curriculum, etc. even in K. So children who may need a little more don't always get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting