Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times

Advertisements

Lets say your kids are all in school and you need to go back to work. Would you go back to work out of the home or would you start your own in home daycare taking care of infants and toddlers. You would be watching 5 children all under the age of 3.
A friend of mine has two boys aged 4 and 6 who are in school full time as of September. She has chosen to run her own daycare from her home.
I personally would rather work outside the home. Her kids are at an age where they are more independent. Why would you want to put yourself though that again. My friend doesn't want anymore kids as she and her husband don't want to go through the baby stages again. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
for me, personally, I wouldn't want to run a home day care. I know people who do, and I can see the advantages, but I'm ready to move on to the next stage - school age kids and working outside the home.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Having a day care in my home sounds like a kind of torture for me.
My kids are 7 and 4.
I'm happy to say that having some free time and getting out of the darn house is a huge priority for me right now.
But it does sound like your friend is into it and up for it, then that's great for her.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I personally wouldn't run a daycare. It takes a special person to work with children. I'm not that special.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times
1. No commuting and commuting costs.

2. Being at home when your kids come back from school.

3. No after-school costs and headaches.

4. For someone who feels affinity to Early Childhood Education, or feels her destiny as working with kids, it's a dream job.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
Anywhere BUT at home!! But that is just me.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times
Before I had my ds I thought my dd was going to be an only so I started watching a neighbors child so she could have a playmate. After 2 weeks I was sick of it. Even changing a diaper was different. Somehow your own kids poop doesn't stink as bad as other kids. With that said there are plenty of people who do jobs that would gross me out.
I also could never work from home. I'd get too distracted.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Even changing a diaper was different. Somehow your own kids poop doesn't stink as bad as other kids.
LMAO!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
My business is a home child care. (not day care and there is indeed a difference)

I offer a professional child care environment in my home run fully as a business. For me it's perfect as it's in my profession of choice and I have total control over every aspect of my business.

The good things:
I am my own boss.
I literally only have to walk down the hall to get to work.
I do not have to pay to eat out for lunch each day.
I can wear almost anything I want.
I get to choose who my clients will be.
I make my own policies.
I have terrific flexibility that allows me to participate in my childrens school activities or care for them when they don't feel well and still work.
Being in the U.S. I have more deductions for tax purposes than any other type of home business.
I get to 'play' all day because that's how my job works.
The rewards for seeing children progress, blossom and love you back are far better than most other jobs.

Is it for everyone? Definitely not.

The not so good:
It's tons of hard work and preparation.
It's huge amounts of paperwork.
You don't ever have an official-off-the-clock-break during the time you have children in your care.
You responsibilities are far more important in caring for these children than what many outside jobs carry.
Your income isn't always stable and depends heavily on the parents fulfilling their agreement with you.
Your usual adult talk always centers around children.

It is not the job for you if:
You can't communicate openly and firmly with parents.
You are reluctant to commit to the job for any reason.
You expect it to be easy.
You are not organized and prepared.
You long for adult contact and feedback.
You are longing for your own children to be in school so you can have a break.

It can be a wonderful, loving and rewarding job for some.
However, it can be a torturous, challenging and unhappy job for others.
It's not a one size fits all job.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
This depends entirely on the personality and wishes of the person doing it.

For me:

I would prefer to start my own preschool rather than to do daycare for children under 3, but that's me. Perhaps this woman loves the infant/toddler stage and will miss it when her children are at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting