Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

I personally don't think deli meats are a very healthy source of protein for children at all. Better to cook a chicken the night before and slice off some of the breast for the sandwich. Or roast your own ham and slice that up for the kids. But IF you're going to use the less healthy deli meats in favor of actual whole food, then you really have no wiggle room to complain about sliced cheese instead. Cheese also is a good source of protein, plus it's dairy, which you can't get from meat. In fact, there are octo-lacto vegetarians who will tell you that 2 ounces of cheese on a sandwich INSTEAD of 4 ounces of meat, is much healthier for you and that you're killing your children slowly by feeding them any meat at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm not sure what's so unhealthy about a little bit of mayonnaise and cheese? You can buy mayonnaise made with olive oil if it's the oil that is worrying you. I'm also not sure how granola bars, jello and pre-packaged PB crackers are considered to be healthy. Especially the jello.

You must be buying Boar's head deli meat as that is the only brand that I know of that does not contain sodium nitrates (although it does contain naturally occurring nitrates from the spices). Boar's Head is $9/pound where I live. Organic chicken breast is more like $6/pound here as well. I'm jealous.

What about the side salad idea? It's healthy, filling and inexpensive.
Mayo and cheese are nearly 100% saturated fats.

Jello is not particularly healthy but it's a treat and isn't all that caloric. I do let my kids have treats. I will buy a few packages of jello and when they are gone, they move on to something else.

Granola bars are healthy if you buy the right brands (must read labels).

I already stated that I don't send prepacked pb crackers, but pb and crackers. It's way cheaper and healthier than the pre packaged ones and my kids like the natural peanut butter.

I buy Boars Head when it is on sale (something is always on sale) OR the store made roast beef, turkey or chicken made at a local deli. Those are made in the store with all natural ingredients and one of them is always on sale. Since the stores rotate what's on sale (and there are two different stores to choose from) I can usually get what I need from the deli counter at $7 per pound although the regular price is higher.

Natural (not organic) chicken breast is available around here for almost $3 a pound, but there is one store where it is available at $1.89 in quantities of 5 lb or more. We eat a lot of chicken so I always buy at least 5 lb. I will follow advice above and freeze larger dinner portions and send for school lunch. My kids LOVE chicken salad and cold grilled chicken sandwiches.

My kids will take a salad with some protein. They really like chicken salad on green salad. The spinach salad someone mentioned above sounds great. I am sure my kids would eat that.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with cheese either, it's got a lot of protein. And by 'cheese' I don't mean 'processed cheese food product', I mean real cheese. If the fat is a concern (and it shouldn't be for healthy, active teens) then there are low fat cheeses.

We don't eat a lot of mayo either. When I do put it on a sandwich it's just a thin smear, barely enough to notice much less be concerned about. No, it won't replace 2 oz of meat but along with other meal items it shouldn't be a concern. My kids take a variety of items so any one thing isn't a concern. IF the main part of their meal was a sandwich then I suppose it would matter more.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I personally don't think deli meats are a very healthy source of protein for children at all. Better to cook a chicken the night before and slice off some of the breast for the sandwich. Or roast your own ham and slice that up for the kids. But IF you're going to use the less healthy deli meats in favor of actual whole food, then you really have no wiggle room to complain about sliced cheese instead. Cheese also is a good source of protein, plus it's dairy, which you can't get from meat. In fact, there are octo-lacto vegetarians who will tell you that 2 ounces of cheese on a sandwich INSTEAD of 4 ounces of meat, is much healthier for you and that you're killing your children slowly by feeding them any meat at all.
Simple one word answer. YES OR NO.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Maybe you were unschooled in math, momma bear. Here's the actual math for you:

One ounce = approximately 28-1/3 grams.
One ounce of cheese has around 9 grams of fat, and approximately 6 of those 9 grams are saturated.

This means - less than 1/4 of 1 ounce of cheese is saturated fat. That's less than 25%, not "nearly 100%".

Most of the rest of the ounce of cheese is protein and calcium.

Also, children NEED fat in their diet, especially if they are active. And really - the mayo thing - just substitute mayo with mustard. The point of adding any condiment at all was so the food would stick to the bread without making the bread soggy.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Simple one word answer. YES OR NO.
You don't get to dictate or demand my answers momma_bear. You post in a public forum, you get what you get.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Speaking of people who don't feed their kids. We had a model casting for super models yesterday at my work, as it's fashion week and we have a show coming up. When I say super models I mean the ones who walk down the runway not print models. And I saw about 5 girls who didn't weigh 200lbs between the 5 of them. Worst part is most are 13-15 and had their mom's with them. Imagine being 5'11" and weighing 105lbs. Yikes!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe you were unschooled in math, momma bear. Here's the actual math for you:

One ounce = approximately 28-1/3 grams.
One ounce of cheese has around 9 grams of fat, and approximately 6 of those 9 grams are saturated.

This means - less than 1/4 of 1 ounce of cheese is saturated fat. That's less than 25%, not "nearly 100%".

Most of the rest of the ounce of cheese is protein and calcium.

Also, children NEED fat in their diet, especially if they are active. And really - the mayo thing - just substitute mayo with mustard. The point of adding any condiment at all was so the food would stick to the bread without making the bread soggy.
Why does the food need to stick to the bread?

Yes kids need fat in their diet. But they do not need as much saturated fat. I stand corrected on the 100% saturated fat.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Mayo and cheese are nearly 100% saturated fats.
a one ounce serving of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese contains 9grams of fat, 6 of those are saturated fat. Cheese has calcium and vitamin A, deli meat does not. Deli meat has potassium, cheese does not. Deli meat is higher in sodium and much higher in cholesterol compared to cheese. If you buy the mayo made with olive oil it has almost 0 grams saturated fat but contains the healthy fats that our bodies need.

Quote:
Jello is not particularly healthy but it's a treat and isn't all that caloric. I do let my kids have treats. I will buy a few packages of jello and when they are gone, they move on to something else.
Special treats are a good thing for kids, imho but wouldn't it make more sense to give them something with more calories considering how much food they like to eat? Jello won't fill anyone up. It's empty calories.

Quote:
Granola bars are healthy if you buy the right brands (must read labels).
I always read labels. Some are definitely healthier then others. I guess I just consider them as a dessert.

Quote:
I already stated that I don't send prepacked pb crackers, but pb and crackers. It's way cheaper and healthier than the pre packaged ones and my kids like the natural peanut butter.
Sorry I missed that part. I agree about that being a healthy snack and one that will stick with them throughout the day due to the fact that it has both protein and fat.

Quote:
I buy Boars Head when it is on sale (something is always on sale) OR the store made roast beef, turkey or chicken made at a local deli. Those are made in the store with all natural ingredients and one of them is always on sale. Since the stores rotate what's on sale (and there are two different stores to choose from) I can usually get what I need from the deli counter at $7 per pound although the regular price is higher.
Jealous again. Our store brand is full of crap.

Quote:
My kids will take a salad with some protein. They really like chicken salad on green salad. The spinach salad someone mentioned above sounds great. I am sure my kids would eat that.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You don't get to dictate or demand my answers momma_bear. You post in a public forum, you get what you get.
Well-your answer wasn't clear. It was a bunch of nonsense. So use as many words as you like but was it a yes or a no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting