Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM

107 posts, read 151,477 times

Advertisements

Well, then I have a eight year old, and 12 year old both dyslexic. My 12 year old was very severe and scored at the 1% range in speech, and initially had a mentally retarded level IQ in kindergarten. He didn't learn to talk until late, at four he put two or three words together. But, my son's gifted so here comes the kicker he was also building robots at five years old and other technical things.

He was also diagnosed ADHD, lol. See the similarity. I should point out that in some cases ADHD can be out grown; anyhow my oldest at 12 exhibits no symptoms. His brother has ADHD, but also at around eight he started growing out of the ADHD diagnosis. Theres data on this phenomenon.

You know my school story didn't end well so I won't got there other than saying it was traumatic, and I wont be repeating it again.

So, now my sons 12. I'll just talk about the oldest. He is still about one grade level down in English, and in the 11th grade math. We should be closing the gap on the english when they give us the extended time on tests they are required by law to give him.

So, yes very gifted in math and spatial. Linguistically he continues to gain speed. I started him on typing in Kindergarten. Might I recommend a typing program??? That really does help. He also has a Mac Book, expensive but he loves it, it helps correct spelling and grammar and reads everything.

He does currently read on level as he is only 12 and just read some of Einsteins theory on dark matter with full comprehension. He has trouble with simplistic stuff sometimes. Anyhow, see how badly my story started. Today my son is bright, happy, and academically successful.

Oh, and on a side note you might want to have your child tested for allergies. Many parent's of kids with ADHD end up finding out their kid has a food sensitivity or allergy.

Hope some of my long wind helps, lol.

Anyhow, I'm hoping your story ends the same. Your child is young yet, but I hope you remember where you are when you hopefully post your childs success stories later on, on one of the dyslexias sites. I should do my son as I was invited to.

So, there's some of my story. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Kansas DOESN'T SCREEN for dyslexia , so how are they going to be able to teach him correctly , is the real question.
I provided a link a few pages back (and included a quote in my post) that explained that a few pages back.

Dyslexia itself doesn't clarify what type of services your child needs. An evaluation needs to be done to determine the exact services your child needs even if he has dyslexia.

Dyslexia isn't a one-size-fits-all issue. Each student with dyslexia has different needs for special education.

Quote:
The mental health dept. did call me right back, & said they do screen for it, but also said the school does, but the told me they did NOT at his last IEP meeting. She's going to look into it, hopefully I will learn more soon.
See. They're playing games with you. If you put it in writing, they'll stop playing games and the lies.

Regardless of what she says when she calls back, put a request for evaluation in writing and deliver it to the school tomorrow.

There is no sense whatsoever in waiting another day. All of these phone calls are just postponing the evaluation.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
Well, then I have a eight year old, and 12 year old both dyslexic. My 12 year old was very severe and scored at the 1% range in speech, and initially had a mentally retarded level IQ in kindergarten. He didn't learn to talk until late, at four he put two or three words together. But, my son's gifted so here comes the kicker he was also building robots at five years old and other technical things.

He was also diagnosed ADHD, lol. See the similarity. I should point out that in some cases ADHD can be out grown; anyhow my oldest at 12 exhibits no symptoms. His brother has ADHD, but also at around eight he started growing out of the ADHD diagnosis. Theres data on this phenomenon.

You know my school story didn't end well so I won't got there other than saying it was traumatic, and I wont be repeating it again.

So, now my sons 12. I'll just talk about the oldest. He is still about one grade level down in English, and in the 11th grade math. We should be closing the gap on the english when they give us the extended time on tests they are required by law to give him.

So, yes very gifted in math and spatial. Linguistically he continues to gain speed. I started him on typing in Kindergarten. Might I recommend a typing program??? That really does help. He also has a Mac Book, expensive but he loves it, it helps correct spelling and grammar and reads everything.

He does currently read on level as he is only 12 and just read some of Einsteins theory on dark matter with full comprehension. He has trouble with simplistic stuff sometimes. Anyhow, see how badly my story started. Today my son is bright, happy, and academically successful.

Oh, and on a side note you might want to have your child tested for allergies. Many parent's of kids with ADHD end up finding out their kid has a food sensitivity or allergy.

Hope some of my long wind helps, lol.

Anyhow, I'm hoping your story ends the same. Your child is young yet, but I hope you remember where you are when you hopefully post your childs success stories later on, on one of the dyslexias sites. I should do my son as I was invited to.

So, there's some of my story. Hope that helps.
I am so glad to hear your son is doing well, that is awesome & does indeed help! My son is also very good at building things, taking them apart & putting them back together, like his dad & my dad too. But the common thread is the spelling & writing! I just want to find out exactly what is going on in order to help him the best way that I can, as you did/are doing.
I also thought of the food allergy thing,and his teacher mentioned having him tested for it as well. We have had some problems w/ his insurance & waiting for it to get reinstated so I can take him to the pediatrician, have had to cancel 2 appts while waiting,very frustrated. He also wets the bed, & it seems almost every day there is a new food he USED to eat that he no longer WILL eat.
He also has no problems getting math, which I am SO happy about because I am NO help in THAT area! Typing does sound like something we should get started on, his handwriting is horrid, but then so is mine .
He is very interested in science, LOVES to go fossil hunting & loves to watch the History channel & learn about ancient civilizations & etc. I know he is just dying to learn, but he just can't, YET.

It was only this week that I started reading more about dyslexia & learning exactly what it is, my husband was never "officially diagnosed" and struggled badly in school, & I don't want our son to have to go through that as well. Reading the symptoms over w/ my mother-in-law she kept yelling "YES!! He always did that! YES! That sounds EXACTLY like him" & etc. Same here, reading the symptoms made me feel like we might actually be getting to the bottom of it all, & the beginning of actually being able to DO something. We are lucky to be in such a small school district where he gets so much individual help, & so far I am confident they WANT to help him. However, I have my doubts that they will be able to do it properly. I hope I am wrong about that,we shall soon find out!

I'd love it if you could recommend some of the dyslexia sites you've found helpful. This seems like a good one --
Dyslexia Parents Resource - the complete guide to dyslexia

however I haven't had much time to read it, my 3 year old keeps me pretty busy,and the whole house has been passing around a bad bug, I was sick for a week! Have some books on dyslexia I requested from the library on Monday that just came in, will be reading all night once the kids are in bed I bet!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 PM

613 posts, read 991,845 times
Quote:
I'm thinking the school isn't equipped to deal w/ it , according to this article that I posted yesterday:
Kansas' dyslexia dilemma - KSN TV, Kansas News and Weather

Kansas DOESN'T SCREEN for dyslexia , so how are they going to be able to teach him correctly , is the real question.
The mental health dept. did call me right back, & said they do screen for it, but also said the school does, but the told me they did NOT at his last IEP meeting. She's going to look into it, hopefully I will learn more soon.
But the school still HAS to evaluate for a learning disability. From what I have read, most schools do not screen for dyslexia and I agree you should do that privately. In fact, you should already have an appointment.

Regardless, the school by law must do its own testing to establish if there is a learning disability. THEN, their files can be further supplemented with the information you have, which would be a dyslexia dx (if he does have dyslexia), and any and all material you can find about teaching and therapies for dyslexic children.

You would provide this info prior to the IEP meeting, and then YOU, who are part of the IEP team, will have input on the IEP with services and goals that would meet your son's needs.

But you have to get the ball rolling. Have you made an appointment with a professional who is well versed in testing for dyslexia? Have you started to compose your letter for a request for evaluation with the school district?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
But the school still HAS to evaluate for a learning disability. From what I have read, most schools do not screen for dyslexia and I agree you should do that privately. In fact, you should already have an appointment.

Regardless, the school by law must do its own testing to establish if there is a learning disability. THEN, their files can be further supplemented with the information you have, which would be a dyslexia dx (if he does have dyslexia), and any and all material you can find about teaching and therapies for dyslexic children.

You would provide this info prior to the IEP meeting, and then YOU, who are part of the IEP team, will have input on the IEP with services and goals that would meet your son's needs.

But you have to get the ball rolling. Have you made an appointment with a professional who is well versed in testing for dyslexia? Have you started to compose your letter for a request for evaluation with the school district?
The ball IS rolling. Did you read that I just THIS WEEK learned more about dyslexia & that my son might have it??? They do dyslexia screening at the mental health dept., as soon as we are notified that his health insurance has been reinstated he will be tested. No, I haven't started composing any letters, as I have been trying to say, the school is being VERY helpful, and I am well aware of his rights & how IEPs work. I know what to do should they stop being helpful, I assure you.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Well, I have been and do like the one site you mentioned for dyslexia. I'm also on one or two on facebook. Lol, you'll get a earful of the venting and frustration on those to.

As for typing. I recommend Typing Instructor Platinum. Just doing the lessons. I think it's like $14, you can get it online or target.

For math, if you want to boost his grade or he needs help I recommend the following: Teaching Textbooks
it has the demos etc. free, very dyslexia friendly. Large letters, colors, cartoons, comprehensive and affordable.

For spelling I use AVKO, it's made for dyslexics. I think it was like $7

As to science well, I'll be honest here I love history channel and science channel and my sons like a sponge. Most dyslexics are very visual learners. Retention goes as following Lecture 5%, text 10%, and audiovisual is 20% so I wouldn't be afraid to have him learn some science from the tv.

Oh and on the reading, sometimes it's as simple as a bookmark cause at least in my dyslexics case without having a bookmark under what he was reading he'd skip multiple sentences. For reading comprehension make sure he's visualizing what he's reading.

Oh, and last but not least I'd treat him like he's a brainiac in the making. I fully expected my son to be gifted and I treated him as such irregardless of his level. I thought well if he can learn this today, he can learn this tomorrow. It's not a race. As long as you love, and support him. Never let anyone, and I mean anyone dumb him down he'll probably go to the moon for you.

Dyslexics can really be quite brillant and imaginative. Sounds like your son will be that way. Legos, knex, etc. Anyhow....that's my two cents. I think my sons done well, and despite the work and heartache at first for him and myself he's a wonderful blessing. Very special, empathetic, think out of the box, mature little man. I'm glad I didn't listen to the people who tried to tell me he'd never get better and to give up.

Keep study time to 20 min. or so and break, cause other wise the brain goes into down time and retention decreases. This also decreases frustration.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Well, I have been and do like the one site you mentioned for dyslexia. I'm also on one or two on facebook. Lol, you'll get a earful of the venting and frustration on those to.

As for typing. I recommend Typing Instructor Platinum. Just doing the lessons. I think it's like $14, you can get it online or target.

For math, if you want to boost his grade or he needs help I recommend the following: Teaching Textbooks
it has the demos etc. free, very dyslexia friendly. Large letters, colors, cartoons, comprehensive and affordable.

As to science well, I'll be honest here I love history channel and science channel and my sons like a sponge. Most dyslexics are very visual learners. Retention goes as following Lecture 5%, text 10%, and audiovisual is 20% so I wouldn't be afraid to have him learn some science from the tv.

Oh and on the reading, sometimes it's as simple as a bookmark cause at least in my dyslexics case without having a bookmark under what he was reading he'd skip multiple sentences. For reading comprehension make sure he's visualizing what he's reading.

Oh, and last but not least I'd treat him like he's a brainiac in the making. I fully expected my son to be gifted and I treated him as such irregardless of his level. I thought well if he can learn this today, he can learn this tomorrow. It's not a race. As long as you love, and support him. Never let anyone, and I mean anyone dumb him down he'll probably go to the moon for you.

Dyslexics can really be quite brillant and imaginative. Sounds like your son will be that way. Legos, knex, etc. Anyhow....that's my two cents. I think my sons done well, and despite the work and heartache at first for him and myself he's a wonderful blessing. Very special, empathetic, think out of the box, mature little man. I'm glad I didn't listen to the people who tried to tell me he'd never get better and to give up.

Keep study time to 20 min. or so and break, cause other wise the brain goes into down time and retention decreases. This also decreases frustration.
I didn't post this so you could homeschool, but just as to what was helpful for my son specifically

Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
No, I haven't started composing any letters, as I have been trying to say, the school is being VERY helpful, and I am well aware of his rights & how IEPs work. I know what to do should they stop being helpful, I assure you.
You should write the letter anyway. They really haven't been as helpful as they should be. Based on what you shared, they are trying to label him ADHD, which is against the law for them to do. And they are trying to avoid evaluating your son by telling you that they don't diagnose dyslexia.

They KNOW darn well that you want your son evaluated, but they are playing games with your use of the word 'dyslexia' instead of just offering to evaluate him. They are playing all the games districts play. It's so sad you don't realize it.

Your son won't receive special education instruction via your simply obtaining a diagnosis of dyslexia. An evaluation will still need to be done by the school district for the district to determine if your son qualifieds for services, dyslexia or not. And they won't do that evaluation unless you request it in writing.

Districts only evaluate on their own for the truly pathetic cases. From the sounds of it, your son isn't one of those pathetic children because he does well in math and other areas. They only seek out the truly severe cases without parental request because they are required by law to identify all children with learning disabilties. Sadly, they only target the ones that couldn't possibly excuse away to the government---the ones who are so severe that they can't make excuses saying that it wasn't obvious.

And your son isn't obvious---not as obvious as children who are severe. He's behind in reading, but LOTS of children are behind in reading in second grade. It's not uncommon for children to be just late bloomers when it comes to reading.

As a result, they have themselves covered legally because they can say they didn't know. And they don't know because there is NO PROOF that you have been trying to get him services. Why is there no proof? Because you don't want to write a simple letter that requires less than 30 words. It makes no sense.

And yes, I'm frustrated by your inability to comprehend what you need to do. Maybe that's an indication that your son won't even qualify for services when he's evaluated. You won't know until you write the letter. Because as nice and helpful as they have been, they have NOT evaluated your child without receiving a letter, even though you've been asking them verbally for a diagnosis. Why can't you see that?

They are not stupid people who are making uninformed mistakes, not knowing what tests the districts do. They know darn well what's available and required by law, and they are sending you on wild goose chases that you are happily running off to do instead of insisting they do what the law requires they do if you put it in writing.

You're being scammed. The saddest thing about that is you don't know it.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 PM

613 posts, read 991,845 times
Quote:
The ball IS rolling. Did you read that I just THIS WEEK learned more about dyslexia & that my son might have it??? They do dyslexia screening at the mental health dept., as soon as we are notified that his health insurance has been reinstated he will be tested. No, I haven't started composing any letters, as I have been trying to say, the school is being VERY helpful, and I am well aware of his rights & how IEPs work. I know what to do should they stop being helpful, I assure you.
It doesn't matter how nice they are to you in person, or how helpful they appear to be. The fact of the matter is, they've given you nothing but misinformation, nor have they directed you on what you need to do to get the school to evaluate your son.

I'm not sure if you are getting this or not, but the school will never evaluate your son without your written request. No evaluation = no rewriting of the IEP = no change in services, no matter what outside evaluations or testing you get done. The school district still HAS to do their own evaluations and YOU have to request it, in writing.

I'm wondering if maybe you are afraid that by putting things in writing, you will become what school personnel call "THAT parent"?

I noticed in one of your posts you stated you had to strongly advocate for another child with CP, which leads me to believe that you have had difficulties with this school district before. And in all honesty, it sounds like they are being difficult again, just this time with a smile.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much! He LOVES Legos & similar toys, and he sounds a lot like you describe your son. He is very sweet, bright, creative, has a wonderful imagination, really caring & loving, major animal lover, but boy can he be a handful! He does have problems w/ impulse control, and a temper like his father. He is constantly moving, on the go, and standing on his head, rolling,flipping,hanging upside down, jumping, hopping, singing, it's exhausting just to watch him! He is very athletic, strong,agile,fast, will make quite the athlete one day if he ever learns to EAT more! He is the tallest boy in his class, very wiry & lean. From the little I have read it seems that the adhd & dyslexia may be related. Hopefully soon I will be able to learn more than I have in just these few short days, it is a big help to hear of the experiences others have w/ their children.

The school has been great at implementing different coping strategies w/ him, & I am confidant (so far) that they have his best interests at heart. And as the mental health told me they do the testing,( Kansas schools do not test for dyslexia, if anyone doesn't believe me, check into it.) I'm hopeful we may be on the road to really getting to the bottom of what's going on. It's only been 3 days since I called his teacher & the special ed teacher & mentioned dyslexia, so they aren't "giving me the run around", as other posters seem to think. Heck & yesterday wasn't even a full school day! The special ed teacher is brand new, think she's only been there a few weeks. They have done several evaluations on my son, & I didn't have to send them a written demand. I know how the system works, & no one is trying to deceive me or deny my son services,etc. I can understand how others may think I am not doing all I should be doing or the school is not, but everyone's experiences aren't the same. I don't wish to continue to be insulted or critisized, I am just here to learn more about dyslexia, as it is brand new to me. I have had to get really tough in the past w/ doctors & therapists ignoring me & not doing all that I thought should be done for my youngest who has CP, so I know what to do if my I feel my concerns aren't being heard & action isn't been taken in a timely matter. I'm 40 years old, my oldest is 22 so I know a little bit about how things work & am not afraid to make sure I'm being heard loud & clear!

I am glad that I happened across the article that I posted a while back about Kansas schools & dyslexia, as my husband was never officially diagnosed, & I knew so little about it. I do feel bad as I wish I would have realized it & learned more about it sooner, but I have been so focused on my youngest child's problems, I suppose. Hoping to learn all that I can in the hopes it will help my son.

Last edited by KsStorm; 09-16-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting