Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,088 times

Advertisements

i dont know what i would do since my son is only 4, but i would probably say something along the lines or "yes you are probably feeling ready for the physical aspects, but not the emotional ones"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,025 times
I'd park them in front of the TV, show them the show Teen Mom or 16 and Pregnant and THEN say, are you sure this is what you really want?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 PM

139 posts, read 25,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I'd park them in front of the TV, show them the show Teen Mom or 16 and Pregnant and THEN say, are you sure this is what you really want?
Exactly! Many teens generally don't think more than five minutes into the future about the consequences of their actions. Your idea emphasizes the consequences of getting pregnant at that age. I am living this fear with my 16 yr old presently.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,867,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom33 View Post
Exactly! Many teens generally don't think more than five minutes into the future about the consequences of their actions. Your idea emphasizes the consequences of getting pregnant at that age. I am living this fear with my 16 yr old presently.

*hugs*

Old 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! That's absolutely shocking!

I hope you gave her a peice of your mind!

Yep. I think that's a bizzare. My girlfriend had a friend whose parents were like that. It was freaky weird. She felt so uncomfortable around the family. They had two teenage daughters who were close to my friend's age. One night when she was over for dinner, the parents started a conversation about sex. And it was a detailed conversation with their daughters sharing details about their sexual relationships with their boyfriends. My girlfriend told me about this because she was horrified to be witness to such a conversation between parents and their children, not to mention they were having this conversation with a guest at the dinner table!

I think you're painting an inaccurate picture of most families that do recognize teenagers will have sex. I've never been told details and I've never wanted details.

The "don't use girl just for sex" talk comes much earlier. When a teen says he needs condoms, most parents would make sure the teen had condoms or knew how to get condoms! OMG, the result of just giving a lecture could be pregnancy or an STD.

I realize some parents feel so strongly about abstinence that they'd rather risk a pregnancy than the appearance of condoning premarital sex. That's just not me. I felt more strongly about avoiding teen pregnancy. I'm not the type of parent who would tollerate a teen pregnancy. Teen pregnancy is just utter and complete sheer stupidity IMO.
I considered calling the boy's mother (a single parent) and letting her have it but instead I decided to make my daughter realize how sissified I thought it was that the boy even went to his mother to complain or discuss this and that the mother would actually try to help her little sonny boy get some sex.

But I've known other parents who hand their sons condoms before any date and have the idea that any girl is meant to be a nice plaything for their little boys.

But yes it's a complicated issue and parents know their own teens and the values they're trying to instill in them. If a girl (or boy) comes to parents about having sex, I don't think the parents should be afraid to try to deter them because it may be just what the child is seeking.

Say a young girl is getting pressured and decides to talk to a parent about it and the parent just hauls her to the GYN to be put on birth control pills - what is that saying to her? That she must submit to sex even if unsure. Or the parent starts raving on about the glories of sex and orgasms, that won't help a girl who deep down wants to tell the guy she's not ready.

My feeling is when a teen child comes to the parent to discuss this, it's because they deep down want the parent to reinforce once again what they believe the parent believes - because they're being pressured into something they don't really want or are not sure about - even it's their own body pressuring them. It's like - tell me again what I should do. It's not the time to go wildly off course from what you've previously tried to tell them, warn them about.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
= That she must submit to sex even if unsure. Or the parent starts raving on about the glories of sex and orgasms, .

Sheesh what teen boys did you date? Because i don't remember any of that

Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I considered calling the boy's mother (a single parent) and letting her have it but instead I decided to make my daughter realize how sissified I thought it was that the boy even went to his mother to complain or discuss this and that the mother would actually try to help her little sonny boy get some sex.

But I've known other parents who hand their sons condoms before any date and have the idea that any girl is meant to be a nice plaything for their little boys.

But yes it's a complicated issue and parents know their own teens and the values they're trying to instill in them. If a girl (or boy) comes to parents about having sex, I don't think the parents should be afraid to try to deter them because it may be just what the child is seeking.

Say a young girl is getting pressured and decides to talk to a parent about it and the parent just hauls her to the GYN to be put on birth control pills - what is that saying to her? That she must submit to sex even if unsure. Or the parent starts raving on about the glories of sex and orgasms, that won't help a girl who deep down wants to tell the guy she's not ready.

My feeling is when a teen child comes to the parent to discuss this, it's because they deep down want the parent to reinforce once again what they believe the parent believes - because they're being pressured into something they don't really want or are not sure about - even it's their own body pressuring them. It's like - tell me again what I should do. It's not the time to go wildly off course from what you've previously tried to tell them, warn them about.

Lol, it always cracks me up when I see parents of daughters say things like this. I always gave my sons condoms, always. Better safe than sorry, and I hate to break it to you...but all your darling little girls (not you, specifically, the collective you) are not nearly as innocent as you would like to think.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times
My son (who died at age 16) would have never come to us with that kind of statement because he knew full well that my husband and I don't believe in premarital sex no matter how mature someone thinks they are. And if he would have, we would have both tried to talk to him about why our faith teaches that it's wrong.

And yes, my husband did discuss this kind of thing with him.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Lol, it always cracks me up when I see parents of daughters say things like this. I always gave my sons condoms, always. Better safe than sorry, and I hate to break it to you...but all your darling little girls (not you, specifically, the collective you) are not nearly as innocent as you would like to think.
No we are not... LOL

Old 09-19-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No we are not... LOL

why do i not feel suprised :-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting