Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times

Advertisements

I really didn't see the big deal either. I thought it was like playing dress up as well.

What's amusing is there was a thread at one point regarding music - most said they let their little ones listen to certain music even if the lyrics were risque because kids don't get it and the music is just fun to dance to. I'm not always sure what people criteria are using I guess. And I'm not directing that to anyone specific. Just parents in general. I have to wonder if some of those same parents who made a stink and got it pulled, also let their kids listen to/watch some of that music.

I think it stems from it being Katy Perry. I'm not sure there would have been such an uproar if it had been someone else. But to think someone isn't appropriate for SS because of what they do outside of that, then a huge number of celebrities throughout the years should have been nixed. Go google celebrities on SS and see the huge list of appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Breasts?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They must be hidden away from all young eyes. They are such vile, disgusting, nasty things. Unless men want to play or look at them, then it's ok.
But look at the double standard. Perry wasn't exposing her breasts to nurse a baby but for the play thing aspect of them. Children don't need to be sexualized at such young ages.

I agree with others that it's not so much her dressing like a sexpot on a kids show but her whole image is not for children. What's next? A naked Lady Gaga performing simulated sex acts on a kids show?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 AM

556 posts, read 798,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But look at the double standard. Perry wasn't exposing her breasts to nurse a baby but for the play thing aspect of them. Children don't need to be sexualized at such young ages.

I agree with others that it's not so much her dressing like a sexpot on a kids show but her whole image is not for children. What's next? A naked Lady Gaga performing simulated sex acts on a kids show?

That's going a little extreme. I'm sure there are no plans in the works to do a GaGa performance blowing Grover. lol

Sesame street has always had all kinds of celebrity guests, it's part of what they do. Just off the top of my head there was Whoopi Goldberg-she didn't exactly have a kid friendly career when she was on. Adam Sandler-I mean HELLO. Spike Lee- very controversial person. Michele Obama and Barbara Bush- should kids be exposed to political figures so young? lol Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon, Ricky Gervais- comapre some of THEIR jokes during their career to "I kissed a Girl" and see what's worse. And OMG Ellen Degeneres and Rosie Odonnel have been on SS- openly homosexual guests!! Is SS crazy!

I hope this was all read in the sarcastic tone it was meant to be.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:15 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:

The average little kid will see more breast tissue exposed at the grocery store, at McDonald's Play Place, or in the parent pickup line at the nursery school than Ms. Perry showed on Sesame Street.
People hear "Katy Perry" and automatically assume it's hoochie mama stuff. Which is reasonable, given she's promoted herself that way. But before getting outraged all over the web, it's prudent to actually see what it is you're being outraged over. From the reactions of some, you'd think she giving the wee ones an eyeful a la Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct".

Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
That's going a little extreme. I'm sure there are no plans in the works to do a GaGa performance blowing Grover. lol

LOL your posts always make me laugh kel :-P

Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
LOL your posts always make me laugh kel :-P

Thanks! You know as she is servicing Grover she'd be wearing the "meat dress". It would teach the kids about the different uses of the word "meat". hahaha

Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Thanks! You know as she is servicing Grover she'd be wearing the "meat dress". It would teach the kids about the different uses of the word "meat". hahaha

heheheh :-D

Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:

Yes, because simulated sex acts are TOTALLY in the same ballpark as cleavage. I guess my kids are sexualized when they see my cleavage or their teachers or grandmas. Give me a break, please.

This all goes back to projecting.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, because simulated sex acts are TOTALLY in the same ballpark as cleavage. I guess my kids are sexualized when they see my cleavage or their teachers or grandmas. Give me a break, please.

This all goes back to projecting.

And what simulated sex acts was she performing?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
And what simulated sex acts was she performing?

None. But if she was a man in that dress Elmo very well could have been teabagged while running all up under her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting