Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

I have raised 4 children. Sports are what keeps adolescents busy and out of trouble in high school, but in order to compete, children need a foundation in sports from a very young age. If you are able, you must live in a community which has programs for this.
Girl's programs are in place now, where they weren't always, so your daughter should definitely be encouraged to participate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,103 times
We started cheerleading at 3. Mainly because she watched me do it and her three aunts, she said "I wanna be like Aunt Bridgette"

Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Four is young. Some kids are into it at that age. Others aren't. Let her try ballet, gymnastics, etc. Wait a couple of years before trying organized sports again.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 PM

447 posts, read 743,584 times
Default a foundation

I agree with gentlearts. Kids need a foundation of sports at an early age to build the coordination and confidence, especially girls. I remember growing up how the girls in the neighborhood were uncoordinated becasue they were NOT taught basic skills of throwing and catching. I always found it odd how the girl next store threw a ball like a shot put. Is this a life skill? perhaps not, but if not learned at an early age it can discourage someone from participating on a team.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
I agree with gentlearts. Kids need a foundation of sports at an early age to build the coordination and confidence, especially girls. I remember growing up how the girls in the neighborhood were uncoordinated becasue they were NOT taught basic skills of throwing and catching. I always found it odd how the girl next store threw a ball like a shot put. Is this a life skill? perhaps not, but if not learned at an early age it can discourage someone from participating on a team.
She's 4...she has plenty of time.

Also keep this in mind - she is more likely to enjoy sports long term if you let her gravitate toward activities SHE has a natural interest and inclination towards. Also pushing pushing pushing doesn't always give the desired results. I know plenty of kids who's parents pushed sports so hard (some kids were pretty good, some weren't) that by the time they got to high school they were either burnt out or had stress injuries. OTOH, I also see kids who come from generally active families who are looking at full-ride scholarships to big name universities for sports they did not start playing until jr. high. Plus, as others have mentioned, she may not be athletically inclined (too early to tell)....you may need to accept that. Relax and enjoy your daughter. That will count for much more (athletically and otherwise) in the long run.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Midlifeman, I get the feeling you're expecting your daughter to be the son you don't have.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,755 times
Just because she doesn't like soccer doesn't mean she won't like sports. Our DD was in soccer at 4 as well and didn't care for it. She decided the following season she wanted to play t-ball like her big brothers (they played Little League baseball for years). She was 4 1/2 then. She is now 11 and playing both recreational fast pitch softball and fast pitch for a traveling team and absolutely loving it. She is also taking pitching lessons. You just never know. There are so many things for her in addition to those, swimming, basketball, flag football, gymnastics, you name it!

Nancy

Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Shes's four! I don't think anyone is suggesting that she never learn how to throw a ball, but there's no reason to push her into something now, or to push a "foundation" in order to compete. More and more kids these days are ending up with serious sports injuries; I'm not by any means saying that the OP's family is headed down that path, but I do think parents who are worried about pushing sports on their kids so that they can compete at an older age are walking a dangerous path. By all means expose your kids to all sorts of different activities and sports, both formal and informal, but don't push it. It could also backfire, as others have noted.

And perhaps slightly off-topic, as there's no indication that the OP thinks like this, but sports are not the ONLY way to build confidence or to keep kids out of trouble. If your kid never plays on a team in high school it doesn't mean that she won't be successful, confident, and healthy.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
And perhaps slightly off-topic, as there's no indication that the OP thinks like this, but sports are not the ONLY way to build confidence or to keep kids out of trouble. If your kid never plays on a team in high school it doesn't mean that she won't be successful, confident, and healthy.
Exactly! From some of the posts on here, I was starting to think I may have horribly screwed up my life by never having played a team sport! I think the OP should prepare himself for the possibility of disappointment if he's putting all his eggs into the sports basket. But really, she's probably just not old enough to really know what she wants- she's four!

I don't want to veer off-topic, but do parents push this hard for an appreciation/experience of the arts?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:25 AM

31 posts, read 87,929 times
Default Let her choose

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
I am a father of a 4 year old daughter. I'm not trying to push her to be a professional athlete, but wanted sports to be a part of her life. She is currently in soccer class, and seems a bit disinterested compared to the other kids. I don't want to push too hard, but don't want to be too laid back either. For those who have been down this road before I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Let her choose what kinda of a girly-girl she wants to be. Yeah, you should guide her and direct her how you see fit, but some girls and boys just aren't into sports like we as parents want... But as expirence has taught me as a mother of two girls, my first daughter was so danty, she was in ballot, starting 4yrs old, tap dance and a cheerleader for her brothers football team,up to 12 yrs old. And this being jr. all american league,not only was tackle ball exciting, but the girls also had " cheer-competition "at the end of the season,which was a very big event. To perform in front of judges and huge crowds...cherr stunts ... pretty fun stuff. During theese years at 10 yrs old, she tried out for basketball, and was the first forth grader to make the team.She kept A's through-out her school years and was also a high school cheerleader,and is currently a college sophmore at a cal state campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting