Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

Why didn't the nurse help her find a place to pump if it was so easy instead of just turning her away?
Why does it always have to be "no one was helping me" whine & banter.

Goodness, figure it out yourself if you are so hellbent on pumping.

Pumping is not that difficult & beyond simplisitic to cover up. She has the legality to pump, she just wanted a comfort zone to do so in.

Understandable & too bad her co. was not willing to do it upon her immediately returning.

But business is business & she is going to have to learn how to do both- work & pump.

She didn't want to so she quit & is playing the blame game.

Her "civil rights" are not being violated. Her comfort zone is, but not her civil rights. The co. did not say she was not allowed to pump...that is a civil rights issue.

She comes across more as rash & unstable instead of truly being concerned about the civil rights of the breastfeeding moms of Nationwide.

She had a sickly first baby, issues w/ baby #2, and an umemployed husband. SHe will be in a world of hurt if she loses this lawsuit though I guarantee when she does, Nationwise will be req'd to rehire her at same job/same pay. In the meantime, she is collecting unemployment benefits & Nationwide is hiring lawyers..waste of money of both sides all b/c this lady couldn't wait a few days & be inconvienced to do something in a private yet public area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Yes - the nurse should have been more helpful...but one less than helpful person is no reason to quit - then sue. If you don't want to work, then quit and deal with the consequences (no paycheck or unemployment). If you want/need to keep working then you work WITH the company to make sure that adequate accomodations are made. It may take dealing with more than one person or dealing with less than "lovely" accomodations on a very temporary basis. I get that no one WANTS to BF in a restroom. And they shouldn't have to. However, given the choice between doing that ONE TIME or quiting my job it doesn't make sense.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Well, there's probably some truth to it. Most of the time when one makes an emotional decision in haste, it's not a good one and I'm guessing that is what happened here.

You're a Dad, right? I don't think you can relate to how strong those post-partum hormones can effect a new mother.
I may be just a "dad", but I'm also a husband, so I think I have pretty good idea how "strong" post-partum hormones can be and the affect they have.

Still, there is no excuse for the sole bread winner and insurance provider to quit their job in a huff because they were feeling emotional that day. As others have said, if that's a valid excuse than you're setting womens lib back about 50 years.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Pumping is not that difficult & beyond simplisitic to cover up. She has the legality to pump, she just wanted a comfort zone to do so in.
I found pumping to be difficult. If a woman is stressed while pumping it can cause her body to react by not releasing the milk. Women are encouraged to pump in a quite, private place and think about their baby while they are doing it.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I may be just a "dad", but I'm also a husband, so I think I have pretty good idea how "strong" post-partum hormones can be and the affect they have.

Still, there is no excuse for the sole bread winner and insurance provider to quit their job in a huff because they were feeling emotional that day. As others have said, if that's a valid excuse than you're setting womens lib back about 50 years.
MOre than likely she is getting a psych eval & will be put back on short term disability & when the lawsuit busts, will either go back to work or work something out w/ Nationwide where she is on long term disability until her "issues" are worked out. After that paycheck stops, she will get reevaluated & go for full term disability.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
and pumping in full view of others would not work for me.
Funny how it's unacceptable to pump in public, but it's perfectly acceptable to BF in public...just saying....I'll shut up now.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
You might have a "pretty good idea but you don't know how it feels first hand. I was pretty blown away by how strong my feelings were in those early months. Postpartum hormones are a force of their own.

Quote:
It's not a valid excuse but it's probably what happened. Like I said earlier, emotional decisions made in haste are often not the best ones and I believe that is probably what happened here. I'm sure she was angry afterwards and decided to sue months later. I don't know if she has the right to do that or not as I'm not privy to all of the details of what happened or all of the details of this persons life.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Funny how it's unacceptable to pump in public, but it's perfectly acceptable to BF in public...just saying....I'll shut up now.
Have you ever pumped or breastfed? You can breastfeed pretty discreetly and doing so in public is not going to effect your milk letdown. Pumping is awkward and can not be done discreetly. Doing so under stressful conditions can and does effect milk let-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
MOre than likely she is getting a psych eval & will be put back on short term disability & when the lawsuit busts, will either go back to work or work something out w/ Nationwide where she is on long term disability until her "issues" are worked out. After that paycheck stops, she will get reevaluated & go for full term disability.
She needs to work something out because according to the article her child was born premature, which means a lot of doctors visits and tests. I'd love to know what she is doing for insurance for herself, her husband and her two children now that she quit her job. Her benefits would have continued till the end of the month she quit, but then COBRA would have been the only option (albeit a VERY expsensive one, espcially since she wouldn't be able to collect unemployment), unless she went on a state plan (in which case not only did she quit her job, but now taxpayers get to pay for her kids medical care).

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
i think the root of this problem is that we expect women to be back working when they just had a child 8 weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting