Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your kids on the lips?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

If I knew people who did disgusting things like that I would ask but since a poster brought it up on here I asked the question in general, hoping for some reasoning as to why a parent would feel it necessary to put a paci or baby spoon in their mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
Every family is different , and with such a mix going on in society I can understand the question.
My own parents were not affectonate, when I was young , not stern or aloof , but just not that tactile. My wife came from a similiar home, but deep in side I wanted it . But do you knnow how difficult it is to build ? with out much foundation neither of us could set a pace of change with out feeling guilty.
My son and I hug and so do my brother and I .
Kisssing as a greeting goes back thousands of years and not just between family and not homosexual either, but a greeting of friendship, but not to just an acquaintance.
Because of hollywood we are conditioned to think kissing is sexual, and because of that, culturally it becomes in some cases a turn on for some, simply because it is done in rare and special conditions.
One could develop a culture very much like this by developing a secricy over ones hands , Like michael Jacksons one glove. What was he hiding ???
The idea is that it created a currosity many were speculating about . I don't care, but the point is any thing one chooses to make an issue of that is a dicipline or cover up , people want to uncover and reveal . once revealed interest is dissolved.
Kissing is beautiful to watch, when it is due to a genuine bond between two people having nothing to do with sex. But in a culture distracted so badly with sex , people rarely know what friendship is.
Kissing your children on the mouth with in the culture of your whole family is fine , but it seems that it would be prudant to teach them that not every one undrstands that greetnig the same way.There are many family practices that are not common practice to every one such as taking off you shoes in the house. To some of us , this might seem to make one more vulnerable, to others it is a way of feeling at home, and keeping the germs out side. like that is going to work . I walk bare foot out side all the time , I'll bet my immune system is better than most because of it. My opinion.
When i go to some one's house I mind their rules to some degree, untill their rules try to undrmine my own rules.
Kissing in my particular situation is guarded. From there women want to take it to the next level so I never let it get started.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
We don't kiss on the lips. We hug. A lot.

We also say, "I love you!" a lot. Right out loud where God and everybody can hear us.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
If I knew people who did disgusting things like that I would ask but since a poster brought it up on here I asked the question in general, hoping for some reasoning as to why a parent would feel it necessary to put a paci or baby spoon in their mouth

Yes, I was the one that brought it up. That's why I answered your question - after you quoted me and bolded that part of my post.

I don't think it's as uncommon as you think, and there are probably people who do it without giving it second thought.

As for the licking the baby's spoon portion of it, I would guess that people do that in order to taste and or check the temp of the food they're about to feed the child. Don't know about the paci, I've never used one.

ETA: I was using those two things as an example of what no to do in order to keep your bacteria out of the infants' mouth. There's probably other ways to transmit it as well, sloppy kisses being one of them.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM

970 posts, read 2,215,398 times
I never liked kissing relatives as a kid and stopped early on. I flat out refused! There was no specific reason; I just thought it was gross.

My fiancee's family is big on kissing so I have to suck it up and deal with it out of respect now but I still don't like it. I dislike it more when people have slimy lips

I wouldn't kiss my future kids on the lips. Hugs, tickles, and forehead kisses are good enough for me.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,236,228 times
isn't it strange what issues people join.
I would never have thought that a thread that started about parents kissing kids on lips would have ended up discussing bacteria.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
isn't it strange what issues people join.
I would never have thought that a thread that started about parents kissing kids on lips would have ended up discussing bacteria.
Crazy, isn't it? Yet most of them don't think twice of holding their child's hand, and who knows where that's been. Have you ever witnessed a toddler wipe their nose and smear it across their cheek? Funny that seems more sanitary to kiss than a peck on the lips.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,682 times
what the hell... No wonder this world is full of creeps. There is too many feelings when it comes to two lips touching. Kiss on the cheek or a hug is far enough...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I never liked kissing relatives as a kid and stopped early on. I flat out refused! There was no specific reason; I just thought it was gross.

My fiancee's family is big on kissing so I have to suck it up and deal with it out of respect now but I still don't like it. I dislike it more when people have slimy lips

I wouldn't kiss my future kids on the lips. Hugs, tickles, and forehead kisses are good enough for me.
Thanks for sharing. Your post might help others realize that the children themselves might not feel comfortable receiving the kisses.

That's why I always thought it was important to only do it when the child initiates the kiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Crazy, isn't it? Yet most of them don't think twice of holding their child's hand, and who knows where that's been. Have you ever witnessed a toddler wipe their nose and smear it across their cheek? Funny that seems more sanitary to kiss than a peck on the lips.
When people mentioned germs, they didn't mean they were worried about catching germs from the baby. They meant they didn't want to give their germs to the baby.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,912,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

When people mentioned germs, they didn't mean they were worried about catching germs from the baby. They meant they didn't want to give their germs to the baby.
Exactly, you can pass on all sorts of germs to a baby or young child. You can pass cold sores on to babies by kissing them, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting