Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,266,071 times

Advertisements

I don't see the point?

And after having been a light "victim" of it 2x, I keep all my outside lights on and my front door wide open (glass door in front) until I go to sleep around 1am.

First time? Eggs thrown at my car while I was pulling in to my street, but this was years ago when I lived in a townhouse/condo development and there was plenty of coverage for them to do so. Told my DH and his friend who were at the house when I got home so they went out for a walk and found the kids hiding in the bushes...and chased their behinds down...until one pulled a freaking KNIFE on his friend. Kid was shaking in his shoes so hard he dropped the knife, DH's friend walked the kid home to his low-income condo and of course his "parents" blamed the friend for man-handling their precious 10 year old baby at 11:30pm.

Second time? I had since moved and had a 3 year old and a 6 month old (DH was working) and some jerky kids went through my very quiet, dark and subdued neighborhood, got out of their car, walked up to my front porch, took the pumpkins my 3 year old had decorated and smashed my mailbox to pieces with them. My 3 year old was so upset.

Almost had a third time - but on Halloween. I just happened to open the front door to a kid bending over at the waist who was about to pick up a pumpkin off my porch- had already given his 8th grade behind candy, we don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters, just the way it is, so it's not hard to remember faces/costumes/groups (and he was part of the group my neighbor's daughter was begging for candy with) so I asked him, "do you want seconds? ". He said no, and ran back to the group that was walking back to the neighbor-girls house (we live on a cul-de-sac). I shut the door. My DH opened the door again, maybe 30 seconds later and I heard him yelling at someone (turned out to be the same kid) who was across the street, on another neighbor's porch, going after a pumpkin to smash.

And every Halloween I drive down my street and there are smashed pumpkins all over the street.

So this year, the big pumpkins will be covered in vaseline. The little pumpkins will be "Hell Raiser" pumpkins with pins sticking out all over them. Touch them? Get hurt? Bleed? Didn't you read the sign that says "Don't touch the pumpkins, they BITE!"

Is this some right of passage? To act like an ass and destroy property on 10/30 or 10/31?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I don't see the point?

And after having been a light "victim" of it 2x, I keep all my outside lights on and my front door wide open (glass door in front) until I go to sleep around 1am.

First time? Eggs thrown at my car while I was pulling in to my street, but this was years ago when I lived in a townhouse/condo development and there was plenty of coverage for them to do so. Told my DH and his friend who were at the house when I got home so they went out for a walk and found the kids hiding in the bushes...and chased their behinds down...until one pulled a freaking KNIFE on his friend. Kid was shaking in his shoes so hard he dropped the knife, DH's friend walked the kid home to his low-income condo and of course his "parents" blamed the friend for man-handling their precious 10 year old baby at 11:30pm.

Second time? I had since moved and had a 3 year old and a 6 month old (DH was working) and some jerky kids went through my very quiet, dark and subdued neighborhood, got out of their car, walked up to my front porch, took the pumpkins my 3 year old had decorated and smashed my mailbox to pieces with them. My 3 year old was so upset.

Almost had a third time - but on Halloween. I just happened to open the front door to a kid bending over at the waist who was about to pick up a pumpkin off my porch- had already given his 8th grade behind candy, we don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters, just the way it is, so it's not hard to remember faces/costumes/groups (and he was part of the group my neighbor's daughter was begging for candy with) so I asked him, "do you want seconds? ". He said no, and ran back to the group that was walking back to the neighbor-girls house (we live on a cul-de-sac). I shut the door. My DH opened the door again, maybe 30 seconds later and I heard him yelling at someone (turned out to be the same kid) who was across the street, on another neighbor's porch, going after a pumpkin to smash.

And every Halloween I drive down my street and there are smashed pumpkins all over the street.

So this year, the big pumpkins will be covered in vaseline. The little pumpkins will be "Hell Raiser" pumpkins with pins sticking out all over them. Touch them? Get hurt? Bleed? Didn't you read the sign that says "Don't touch the pumpkins, they BITE!"

Is this some right of passage? To act like an ass and destroy property on 10/30 or 10/31?

Where the heck do you live??

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Knock on wood, we've never had anything like that happen to us. We take our kids trick or treating. Once the little kids are in for the night, I'd bring the pumpkins back in the house and leave the porch light on.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,908,105 times
I remember mischief night as a kid. I grew up in the Northeast. All I remember though is eggs, and in recent years, someone smashing my grandparents pumpkins. I don't think its a "tradition" (not the right word at all) everywhere. Some places, I know kids like to make mischief ON Halloween, but where I grew up it was the night before Halloween. Some places call it Hell Night too, don't they? Now the mention of it makes me think of The Crow.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Never experienced it....perhaps it's regional? When we've carved pumpkins we've left them outside and never had a problem.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,959,589 times
Up until 2 years ago, we had a full graveyard in our front yard, a mausoleum that I could stand up in, hand carved headstones, full light system and sounds pumped out to the yard. Set up first weekend in October. NEVER, ever had one thing stolen or messed with.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM

13,435 posts, read 9,965,862 times
Oh lord! Please tell me more about this, I've never heard of it. I didn't grow up in the US so Halloween is not really something I've celebrated until this year, and without a kid up until now I've had no real need to decorate or trick or treat or anything.

We have pumpkins decorated by my 3 year old out on the porch. If someone smashed them she'd be pissed. Like to avoid that scenario if possible!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,971,196 times
I grew up in the northeast, and it was called Cabbage Night. I have no idea why. But, my parents never let us out, and I never let my kids out unsupervised either. When they were young, a group of parents on our street would let all the kids come over and do silly string or shaving cream battles in their yard. It made an awful mess, but the kids loved it.

We have never been victimized by any mischief, but I do know others who have.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh lord! Please tell me more about this, I've never heard of it. I didn't grow up in the US so Halloween is not really something I've celebrated until this year, and without a kid up until now I've had no real need to decorate or trick or treat or anything.

We have pumpkins decorated by my 3 year old out on the porch. If someone smashed them she'd be pissed. Like to avoid that scenario if possible!
We have never had pumpkins smashed anywhere I lived. We did have the *ring the doorbell and run away* thing the night before Halloween. That's pretty harmless where I used to live, but in Texas, it might get you shot.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM

13,435 posts, read 9,965,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We have never had pumpkins smashed anywhere I lived. We did have the *ring the doorbell and run away* thing the night before Halloween. That's pretty harmless where I used to live, but in Texas, it might get you shot.
Ha! That's the thing, Nana. I don't exactly live in the leafy suburbs myself. I live in an urban neighborhood, and it just might get you shot here, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting