Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post

You're a junkie, oh well, told you so?

lol :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I have no problem telling them how to use them. THey will know how to use them & where to get them.

And they can live w/ the consequences.

I haven't hopped on the bandwagon & don't plan on to.
That's all anyone asks of you. What's this "bandwagon"? If you've told them how to use them and where to get them then I have no argument with you.

I would no more likely educate and provide my child with birth control and then go out and tell her to have sex any more that you would. Just for different reasons.

Why didn't you say that in the first place??

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Most teens don't actually realize then can get bc without their parents as well katiana Have you ever informed them in class of the state laws on access to bc....you would be amazed at the deer in the headlights look you get hehehe.
By the time I got them, they were already pg. When we did our units on bc, I would have Planned Parenthood come in and supplement what I was teaching; they certainly drove that point home.

I still think you're being unrealistic about how much these teens are seeking out birth control. You can buy condoms in any grocery store in my area; don't have to hope that the guy brought one along. I can remember the girls being horrified at the idea that they should carry condoms and give the guy one. You can also buy contraceptive foam in just about any grocery store.

ETA: Here is an excellent article about teen contraceptive use and who is more/less likely to use contraception:
http://contraception.about.com/od/ta...regnancy_2.htm

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-25-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
By the time I got them, they were already pg. When we did our units on bc, I would have Planned Parenthood come in and supplement what I was teaching; they certainly drove that point home.

I still think you're being unrealistic about how much these teens are seeking out birth control. You can buy condoms in any grocery store in my area; don't have to hope that the guy brought one along. I can remember the girls being horrified at the idea that they should carry condoms and give the guy one. You can also buy contraceptive foam in just about any grocery store.

You sure can you are right. But say you drive home the point you believe in abstinence to your child....to the point that you teach it's the only way. Perhaps that same child would fear you finding out they had sex no? So much so that they would not even risk it buying them because there is a chance you might find out. And since in the south there is still the mentality that having sex makes you a **** that also factors in too this. You have a more liberal attitude to sex in say new York....and the teen rates are different then georgia....so it is telling on why that is the case. I also think you are using your assumptions based on your dislike of pre marital sex to colour your views on how much they are using it as well.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post

Just so I'm clear, you're advocating for an "I told you so" style of parenting when it comes something that completely alter your childs life?!!?!?

I'm interested to know how you handle drug and alchol education in your house as well.

You're a junkie, oh well, told you so?
No,not at all.

My children are very free to make their own choices. Having sex is THEIR choice & THEY will live w/ the outcome.

As a parent, I have no problem explaining to them all methods of birth control.

As a parent, I absolutely have the responsibility to explain to them what the consequences are of having a child when they are teenagers.

I also believe that teeangers need to understand the biological/chemical differences in boys & girls. Girls have sex b/c they think that will continue the relationship; it's based on emotion. And boys have sex b/c they want sex, not the emotion. Our teenagers are far more valualbe then they think & as a parent, I want my boys to realize that a few minutes of not having impulse control can very well change their lives forever. And many teenage boys have condoms, but they do not use them; sometimes for status and sometimes, they can't make it long enough to get the condom on.

My children are not forced to hold my values. But as a parent, they will, while under my roof, no matter what the age, know the values. They have all the free choice to make their decisions. And their decisions = their consequence. It's starts in the toddler yrs & progresses.

I have boys. If they have sex, they can get a girl pregnant, no matter if there is a box of condoms next to them & she's been on b.c. since 10. As a parent, I feel the responsibility for them to have proper sex education and at the very same time, understand their mother's role in it all.

Again, our teenagers are far more valuable & intelligent than what some are making them out to be. The insistence that morals & values of are no necessity to them is mindboggling. Yes, some are going to have sex. But maybe a few are not if they knew their value as a teenager and if their parents held that value to the upmost level.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You sure can you are right. But say you drive home the point you believe in abstinence to your child....to the point that you teach it's the only way. Perhaps that same child would fear you finding out they had sex no? So much so that they would not even risk it buying them because there is a chance you might find out. And since in the south there is still the mentality that having sex makes you a **** that also factors in too this. You have a more liberal attitude to sex in say new York....and the teen rates are different then georgia....so it is telling on why that is the case. I also think you are using your assumptions based on your dislike of pre marital sex to colour your views on how much they are using it as well.
Now just a cotton-pickin' minute! When did I ever say that? At least one other poster on this forum said her son had the same opinoin as I expressed that my students had about girls on birth control. This is a common attitude whether you want to believe it or not.

Did you look at the link I provided in the past few minutes?

Point #1: •Many teens use contraception inconsistently. In fact, in 4 out of 10 relationships, teens inconsistently used contraception or never used any birth control at all.

Another point (and I am out of allowable sentences per copyright)
•Teens involved in romantic relationships were more likely to use birth control at least once but were less likely to use it consistently (perhaps, the researchers argue, because they may regard a pregnancy more favorably).

A question: Did you teach general health classes or teen parenting classes? Did you teach at an affluent high school or a low-income school. The subsets of students in teen-parent classes is very different thant the entire student body. Affluent kids are more likely to use bc, and seem to see less stigma in it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Affluent kids are more likely to use bc, and seem to see less stigma in it.
Also, kids from more affluent/educated families are more likely to have plans for their future that don't include becoming a parent at 15. More of a stigma to be pregnant in high school in a more affluent community where most kids are expected to go on to college.Much more embarrassing to be pregnant that to be on bc.
I think teens aren't necessarily afraid of buying bc because their parents might find out. It's just embarrassing for them. Kind of like buying tampons.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's all anyone asks of you. What's this "bandwagon"? If you've told them how to use them and where to get them then I have no argument with you.

I would no more likely educate and provide my child with birth control and then go out and tell her to have sex any more that you would. Just for different reasons.

Why didn't you say that in the first place??
I will never be the parent that checks the "no" box in the permission slip for sex education. I also feel sex ed starts to late & that if children were taught sex ed in the elementary level, they would have a head start prior to their hormones going all wacky.

I never said once that I would not teach my boys proper birth control.

I have said that I will not jump on the "Teenagers will have sex" bandwagon & teach them about condoms for the sake of it.

My children will also be taught the value of themselves. Will this be the save-all? Of course not.

We have instilled in our boys from the earliest age the ability for them to choose. I don't make their decisions, they do. And the consequences are also for them to live with.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Also, kids from more affluent/educated families are more likely to have plans for their future that don't include becoming a parent at 15. More of a stigma to be pregnant in high school in a more affluent community where most kids are expected to go on to college.Much more embarrassing to be pregnant that to be on bc.
I think teens aren't necessarily afraid of buying bc because their parents might find out. It's just embarrassing for them. Kind of like buying tampons.
I agree. Kids can be incredibly sneaky. Who among us didn't hide something from our own parents?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Because how teens are judged factors in....many teens won't buy condoms because they fear their parents finding out about them having sex. So they do dumb stuff like pull out rather then risk their abstinence teaching parents learning about it. Handing them a condom and telling them you expect they act responsible ensures you will cut the teen pregnancy rate. And condom's are not available in all high schools...in fact at the high school down the road i know they are not because the nurse is a friend of mind. You also would be surprised what teens don't know because they aren't taught. Most states allow teens to get bc under the age of 18 without their parent's knowing, but most will look surprised if you tell them that. While abstinance is all well and good teaching it has proven to be an absolute failure as it goes against human nature. In the rest of the western world assistance is not taught....sex education is more comprehensive.....and sex is treated as no big deal. And their numbers are well below ares.....so are you seeing the pattern here?
As have sex education & parents handing out condoms like lollipops.

And to tell our youth that sex is no big deal??? Wow, maybe that is one of the major reasons there is such a high rate. Sex is no big deal! Go for it! Because a 14yr old is emotionally capable of handling sex...

I guarantee that majority of teen pregnancies, that b.c. was well known & the teens themselves choose not to use it for one reason or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting