Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
This is just a rant. I'm in the mall with my 12 year old daughter who is shopping for two separate birthday gifts for two of her friends. She purchases one gift and I foolishly think we are on our way to another store to look for another gift. She then continues to shop in the same store. I ask her why not just go to the checkout counter after she has finished shopping for everything? She replies that its a woman shopping thing and that I would not understand. I then tell my daughter that if she wants a guy (i.e. father, brother or future husband or boyfriend) to go shopping with you drop the "woman shopping thing for the common sense shopping thing". At that second a woman who is standing across from me walks right up to me and says "That was not a nice thing to say to the young lady!!" I replied "Its also not nice to say mind your f#$%ing business, but that didn't stop me either?" The woman turns beet red and starts to go on about my rude response during which I turn around and calmly walk out of the store with my daughter. Outside of physical or verbal abuse where do some people think its ok to insert themselves into a two way conversation. Especially a conversation that was not loud, and was not all that serious to begin with?

Lol...you told her...that was funny..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
I would have probably left out the cursing but it's hysterical anyway and hopefully she learned a lesson.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Quote:
This is just a rant. I'm in the mall with my 12 year old daughter who is shopping for two separate birthday gifts for two of her friends. She purchases one gift and I foolishly think we are on our way to another store to look for another gift. She then continues to shop in the same store. I ask her why not just go to the checkout counter after she has finished shopping for everything? She replies that its a woman shopping thing and that I would not understand. I then tell my daughter that if she wants a guy (i.e. father, brother or future husband or boyfriend) to go shopping with you drop the "woman shopping thing for the common sense shopping thing". At that second a woman who is standing across from me walks right up to me and says "That was not a nice thing to say to the young lady!!" I replied "Its also not nice to say mind your f#$%ing business, but that didn't stop me either?" The woman turns beet red and starts to go on about my rude response during which I turn around and calmly walk out of the store with my daughter. Outside of physical or verbal abuse where do some people think its ok to insert themselves into a two way conversation. Especially a conversation that was not loud, and was not all that serious to begin with?
a) It is girl thing and guys will never understand. On that she was speakin the truth man.
b) I suspect your daughter was rude and should not have said it to you like that. But on the other hand she may have said it softly and with a 'only women know' kind of smile on her face.
c) And the example you set by blowing off at the other shopper? I wonder what your daughter learned from that. That once again rudness is the norm.

What should have happened -
You should have stood around in zoned out glazed eye kind of way looking kind of interested and smiling when necessary. All the time thinking :Hmm do they have a gadgets section in this shop". Then at the appropriate moment, you would have gotten out your wallet and payed for it and then realied it was your daughter and not your wife who was shopping.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
This is priceless, unfortunately sometimes being rude and vulgar is the only thing nosy, rude people understand.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
This is priceless, unfortunately sometimes being rude and vulgar is the only thing nosy, rude people understand.

This is so true. I'm nice until the person just isnt getting it.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Tell me about it.
I am in Kansas with the family I nanny for, we are staying at a hotel.
All of us in ONE room. *Sighs* Anyways, we had to get new keys and I grabbed an old key and left the room, tried the key and it didn't work, so I took the kids to the pool anyways and was just going to run and get the key changed out AFTER we swam.
I get the kids out, wrap them in towels, and head down to the lobby from the pool and walk up to the counter, the dude wants me to prove I am authorized to be in the room. He KNEW that we were all staying in the room, he SAW the two kids with me, who proceeded to run around the lobby, grabbing snacks off the shelves and running around and screaming. Even through all this he stood there asking me questions to validate that I was authorized to be in the room. I had to walk away from the counter like 5 times just to bring the kids back to the counter, I was wrapped in a towel trying to keep it up and carrying the kids stuff.

Typically I stay very calm and I am very polite but I was at my wits end with this dude, why on earth would I want into a room with two small children if I wasn't authorized? Especially two small children who were yelling and screaming and behaving the way they were.

Just as I was heading up to the counter to say, "Look dude, i don't care about your protocol, I just want in the damn room to put some clothes on and put these kids to bed, do you see what I am dealing with?" Luckily the key was waiting and ready for me on the counter when I walked back up...

Honestly, some people just don't get it.
And they are sweet kids but when I have my hands full and they are cranky and running off energy I really don't want to sit there and play 20 questions.
We have ONE room, why would I NOT be authorized to be in there? Common sense is rarely used these days.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
I mean it was not in her place to but in, but you were sort of rude to your daughter. She is a little girl...let her enjoy her first tastes of having fun shopping the way she likes.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
The other shopper was rude to insert her $.02 but I'm sure you swearing at her made more of an impression on your daughter than anything the other woman said. Think about that.

ps I remember shopping that way when I was young. She'll probably outgrow it, and it probably is a 12 yo girl thing.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVBUt4DOQQ

Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post

I used to be a much nicer person, but as I have gotten older I seem to have less tolerance for people's bs. Some stranger telling me how to deal with my child would definately be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting