Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My son did find out though that going with his little sister wasn't such a bad thing. Turns out a 2 year old in a monkey suit saying "Twick or Tweat" while holding her bag up, followed by "Tank You" and "Appy Halloween" equals extra handfuls from the older folks, especially when big brother proudly tells her good job for remembering to say thank you.
Ahhh, my favorite part of Halloween, those 2 year old cutie pies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can't believe it. I just had some kid, actually pretty young( 9 or 10) text his friends about what kind of candy I gave out for Trick or Treating! And his mother was standing on the front lawn. Now this should go in the "How old is too old for Trick or Treating" thread. The Mother thought it was pretty funny when I commented to her about abusing the spirit of Halloween.

Don't you think any kid who has a cell phone and thinks it's cool to spread the word about the best candy in the neighborhood should be better monitored by his parent? next year I'm gonna give out Sour Patches or the cheapest stuff I can find. I had way more kids this year than in the past and I wonder how wide spread this texting while Trick or Treating is.
Wow....why so bitter and angry? Abusing the spirit of Halloween?? Seriously? I would have laughed at you, too.

Before my kids had cell phones they would go trick or treating with walkie talkies...I remember once hanging out with some other parents and hearing " the Smiths are giving out full size candy bars" broadcasted....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If some kid left my house and text to all his friends that I had the best candy.....I would be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I would certainly take it as a compliment! The best part of Halloween as an adult is giving out treats and seeing what all costumes arrive at the door. The more the merrier!

Absolutely...now that is the spirit of Halloween!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
There was a parent among our group last night who was all over which houses had the best haul and I thought it was really sad. I don't want my kids thinking trick or treat is about only getting good stuff. I would prefer that she is grateful for anything she receives, particularly since she didn't have to do anything to earn it other than wear a costume for a couple of hours.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM

208 posts, read 271,015 times
Next year your GPS location will be uploaded to a social network. So, buy a lot of candy.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
Lol

Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
That wouldn't have bothered me- I would have taken that as a compliment The thing that DOES bother me is when people leave out a bowl saying "please take two" or however many and some kids take handfuls. A few years ago we saw a kid dump the entire bowl into his bag! Save some for the rest please!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
The texting wouldn't have bothered me. Growing up, we always knew which houses were the best and which to avoid (just word-of-mouth back then).

What surprised me last night was how surprised other people were that my daughter did say thank you without prompting from me. It's sad when people get surprised that someone was polite (instead of the other way around).

Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't, either.

I was giving out Oh Henrys, Reese's and Tootsie Pops. I had one greedy little brat early on, about nine years old, who took one of each. I said, "Whoa, don't be greedy now, there are a lot of kids behind you, just take one." He didn't say a word, just ran off to the next door. Probably will end up in jail someday.

I didn't know how much candy to buy because it is my first year where I live now. By 6:30, I only had a few pieces left, so I ran to the supermarket and got a bag of Snickers and some Charms pops. Then no one came until 8:00 when four kids rang the bell. The mother was out in the parking lot (condo complex) in her SUV, so I guess she was taking them around. I figured they were the last ones so I gave them extra.

Still have some Snickers and lollipops for the week for me!
I solve the kids grabbing too much by me being the one to hand it out to them. I grab a handful of about 3 or 4 and just drop some in their bag. I always buy alot. People drive and park in our subdivision. The streets were bumper to bumper at the entrance of parked cars. I always make sure to have leftover kitkats for my husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I would certainly take it as a compliment! The best part of Halloween as an adult is giving out treats and seeing what all costumes arrive at the door. The more the merrier!
Yes, I love the creativity in some of the costumes and just love the little toddlers. This year I just had my older lab wagging his tail at the kids. Last year, I had my ferret on my shoulder and my little terrier sitting next to me. She was a big hit.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I admit my reaction to the texting had to do with several things. First I had my yard aerated and reseeded and forgot to put up yellow tape to keep the kids off the lawn. The kids always cross the driveways to get to the next house even tho we have sidewalks. I wasn't surprised that the kids walked on the lawn but the adults did surprise. On any other night would an adult walk in the middle of your yard? OK so I'm sensitive about my yard and planting beds.

The second thing is that I'm "older". I hate my cell phone and give my number out to only immediate family. My husband makes me carry one but half the time I can't find it. Cell phones in general bug me and when a kid -not in costume- stands on my porch with an open pillow case and starts texting, Well---I was just put off.

Now even I was young once and of course we shared info about the best houses but there was just something about new technology invading what I see as an old time festivity which bothered me.

I do love the little ones who seem shell shocked about the whole experience. and this year even alot of the older ones had innovative costumes which showed some creativity. Most were polite but had a few who asked "Can I have a hand full?" I always have a bowl with only 1 kind of candy in it and I give it out. When that is gone I open another bag of something different.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
Our church made 1600 snack baggies of candy for our local town's "Scare On The Square" which was officially for children 1-12..we got LOTS of older kids/teens/younger adults in costume and some not. We also got lots of young parents carrying a bag or whatever for a baby so young you KNOW they aren't eating that candy..but we still gave them a baggie. We had some say "We had to come by here because last year y'all gave out the best candy in the Square" and some that knew we were this year too. Almost all said Thank You.. It was fun getting to sit out and see everyone. I don't know what the official numbers were but I can tell you there were LOTS of kids there. It is on a whole square block and at some point it got so packed up that they couldn't go forward... cause there was that many people there. They did have fun though!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting