Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,912,333 times

Advertisements

I'd just try to stick with his normal routine as much as possible and be calm and upbeat about the move when you talk to him about it. We just moved a little over 3 mos ago, and my 3 yr old still says, from time to time, "we are in our new house" "this is our new house", and asks if we are in our new house, etc... and right before the move he would talk about moving (he has older siblings who would talk about it a lot). And yes cut him some slack. Its going to be a bump in the road but it will be OK. I always (military family) seem to get stuck moving during the completion phase of potty training and we always seem to get set back a little, but it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
My wife and I moved several times when my son was younger including a stint that found us in TX for a year. Kids crave routine and normalcy. Anything that disrupts that gets them off kilter and it comes out in ways like tantrums or accidents.

Other folks already gave you some great advice and I would recommend the same. Just remember that it does get better and trying to stick to as normal a schedule as possible really helps. One thing we did to assist during the moves was to give my son his own special box for his favorite toys. It was the last thing packed and the first thing off, so he would immediately have his most special things with him in the new place.

It does affect them more than they let on. After our last move (hopefully the last, lol) my son was looking through the house and said, this is it right? This is our house and we aren't moving again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting