Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,710,124 times

Advertisements

I think it is adorable and so much nicer than boys playing yucky football!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM

18,485 posts, read 31,694,560 times
Children are children, they are not adults and should not be made to act like adults.

I think these beauty or whatever pagents for children is absolutely disturbing.
The thought of a little girl prancing around like American next top model, at 6 years old......
or a boy for that matter- ugh !!! I just hate it...

I am so happy my boys like dirt and mud- somehow that makes doing laundry so much more fun----------------------------

Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
Beauty pageants are big money. The money spent on costumes, accessories, makeup, hair, shoes, training, lessons, music and ENTRY FEES are off the wall. As long as there is money to be made, people will participate.

I knew a woman once who had her daughter in pageants. She hounded me to death to put my son in on. she went on and on till I finally had to tell her what I thought of pageants in general.

Years later I ran into her and she admitted she would get an entry fee discount for each kid she recruited and a premium for boys. She also admitted it was more for her and not her daughter and her daughter became a big brat after awhile and she blamed it on the attention and less than realistic perception she had of herself.

pageants for boys or girls are exploitation clear and simple. I could not watch one Toddlers and Tiaras before my stomach turned.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,879,798 times
i have watched the tv show that shows kids in pageants. why are the moms always overweight and unkempt? it's as if they gave up on themselves and put every ounce of energy they have into their children. the kids in turn, try so hard to please their unhappy moms. truly sad.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,630,950 times
Children's beauty pageants are just plain creepy! I'm sorry but i can't but think that the dad's who're into it must be hiding some sort of twisted pedo fantasy. It's like they're trying to objectify children to gratify their needs.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,969,694 times
Just an observation on my part:

I once knew a lady that bred and raised pedigreed show dogs. The lady herself was hugely obese and sloppy, but she seemed to devote all her time and energy on her AKC champion show dogs.

Is it just me, or do these Moms seem to projecting some kind of wish fulfillment on their sons ... perhaps due to internalized low self esteem issues?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,922,486 times
My theory is that they're trying to make up for the beauty that they lost or never had.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,068,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
i have watched the tv show that shows kids in pageants. why are the moms always overweight and unkempt? it's as if they gave up on themselves and put every ounce of energy they have into their children. the kids in turn, try so hard to please their unhappy moms. truly sad.
Or it could be that it's just because 2/3 of Americans are overweight. From the couple of Toddler and Tiara episodes I've seen on line, I've inferred that most contestants are from the South where the obesity rate is even higher. There are plenty of slim moms that are involved in the pageant circuit as well.

That said, I find the whole child pageant industry exploitative whether boys or girls are involved. With the amount of money these families spend on entrance fees, travel, dresses, makeup, hair, flippers, etc, if they put it aside, they'd have a healthy college fund for their kids. I remember one episode of Toddlers and Tiaras where the little girl was drinking Red Bull all day long and her mother thought it was cute. She let her drink it because it helped her perform better in the pageants. My eight year old was watching that clip with me on line and he was flabbergasted that a parent would let her daughter have something so bad for her. HE IS ONLY EIGHT and it was obvious to him something was very wrong with all of this.

He also noted that a lot of the contestants lived in very run down homes (they show the outside of their houses on the show) and commented that if they weren't spending all their money on going to the "spa" they might be able to fix their houses up. That made me chuckle.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
yes I agree that an inordinate percentage of these parents live in less than middle class homes. They are trying to use their children to get out of those circumstances, thinking the kid will be discovered to become a model, entertainer, whatever. The ultimate stage mothers.

I doubt any of them do it for the "fun" they say the kids are having. They want it to lead to a way for the kid to support them in the future. It is truly sick.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,922,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yes I agree that an inordinate percentage of these parents live in less than middle class homes. They are trying to use their children to get out of those circumstances, thinking the kid will be discovered to become a model, entertainer, whatever. The ultimate stage mothers.

I doubt any of them do it for the "fun" they say the kids are having. They want it to lead to a way for the kid to support them in the future. It is truly sick.
What's funny is that modeling agencies absolutely HATE glitz pageants and everything associated with them! My 6 year old does modeling work once or twice a month and every single person we've ever met who's involved in the child modeling world says glitz pageants are a complete turn off. If you think about it, it makes sense- they want shots of the kid as natural as can be (maybe a little make-up, but the child still looks like themselves) and not some robot zombie, which IMO, (from watching these creepy pageant shows) that's exactly what a lot of these girls are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting