Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
Not growing up, being always dependent on others (especially the mother), basically being a wimp that every father would be ashamed of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And aside from simply making things up - do you have anything to support a link between expressing affection through hugging and the things you have listed above?

Have you explored other possible reasons for why your son may have attachment issues towards the mother? A strong desire to not go home to you for example?
That is what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
He probably just prefers her over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
Not growing up, being always dependent on others (especially the mother), basically being a wimp that every father would be ashamed of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And aside from simply making things up - do you have anything to support a link between expressing affection through hugging and the things you have listed above?

Have you explored other possible reasons for why your son may have attachment issues towards the mother? A strong desire to not go home to you for example?
That is what I was thinking, too.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM

32 posts, read 56,366 times
I noticed my son had a friend that always hugged him, but I now notice he has another friend that does it too. It is cute, but I try to encourage mine to just give fist bumps or high fives instead--but he's 7. Anyways, I guess it is a phase, and while it's cute now, I think if its excessive might be they are more comfortable with being cuddly or needing sense of touch to feel close to someone. I guess the question is, how much or often the child does it? Maybe he is needing the personal touch or hugs.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaseballmom View Post
I noticed my son had a friend that always hugged him, but I now notice he has another friend that does it too. It is cute, but I try to encourage mine to just give fist bumps or high fives instead--but he's 7. Anyways, I guess it is a phase, and while it's cute now, I think if its excessive might be they are more comfortable with being cuddly or needing sense of touch to feel close to someone. I guess the question is, how much or often the child does it? Maybe he is needing the personal touch or hugs.
Curious as to why you would do this?

My soon to be 16 year old has friends that are male and friends that are female and they all hug each other, especially if they haven't seen each other in a while.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 PM

452 posts, read 898,543 times
Our family hugs, my dad and brother hug still and they are 70ish and 40ish. My sons hug and one of his friends family hugs, I do not believe in going up to a stranger and hugging but if it is someone that I know and I know that they have no personal space issues then I will hug them. To make sure we have a complete understanding when the adults/adults hugs or adult/children hug there is no lingerin, body pressing or hands going up and down, it is an innocent hug. If I were to see an instance of this then it would never happen again.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM

158 posts, read 210,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That is what I was thinking as well.
He usually can't wait to come to my house and gets disappointed when I can't spend the weekend with him.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,511 times
There is nothing wrong with hugging a person you haven't seen recently, male or female, but hugging constantly makes me think something else is at work here. Most people like their personal space, therefore, we move to shaking hands, as adults. I've never seen too many kids hugging anyone but their parents. I don't think we need to encourage hugging, it can just be natural at appropriate times.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly1492 View Post
There is nothing wrong with hugging a person you haven't seen recently, male or female, but hugging constantly makes me think something else is at work here.
Such as what?

Some people are more tactile than others. I do not see the issue - let alone reason to think nefarious unmentioned things are "at work".

Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
RIGHHHTTTTT NOOWWWWW You want him to turn into an unemotional slab of iron, which is the archetype for all proper american men of course! If you allow this to continue he might have feelings *GASP, THE HORROR!*, and want to talk things out instead of punching someone in the face to solve issues. This is incredibly serious, and something you need to nip in the bud!

Last edited by Jaded; 08-09-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting