Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Same topic new thread....you'll notice after a bit there are certain topics that keep showing up like a bad penny..

Working moms vs stay at home moms
Breastfeeding (vs bottle feeding, how long, in public, whatever)
Spanking
Vaccinating
Peanut allergies
Kids who behave poorly in public (especially restaurants)....

Every couple of months someone new comes along and it starts all over again....

I KNOW! Its like flipping herpes...it just won't go away! And that is what has bothered me about this thread from the beginning!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
IMO, there are some adults walking around still polluting the world and are even harder to tolerate than children.
Yes there are!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Parents,

Here's how to put your toddlers to good use. When you have been waiting too long in a restaurant for a table or for your food ~ let your little ones run WILD.

See how fast you get served

Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
I experienced something today that I thought you'd all get a kick out of. We had a miserable cold, windy day here, so after school the kids wanted to get hot chocolate at Starbucks. I don't know if you've noticed but Starbucks is like an office these days, people sitting around with their laptops conducting their business. Anyway we are sitting quietly at a table talking about the kids day at school, this guy next to us leans over and asks us if we can keep it down as he's on a conference call! I was very tempted to up the volume, but I managed to restrain myself.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I experienced something today that I thought you'd all get a kick out of. We had a miserable cold, windy day here, so after school the kids wanted to get hot chocolate at Starbucks. I don't know if you've noticed but Starbucks is like an office these days, people sitting around with their laptops conducting their business. Anyway we are sitting quietly at a table talking about the kids day at school, this guy next to us leans over and asks us if we can keep it down as he's on a conference call! I was very tempted to up the volume, but I managed to restrain myself.
Oh Please. Take your conference call in an office; in your car; whatever. It's impossible to contribute to a conference call in a public restaurant.

I would have been sorely tempted to up the ante.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
I would have given my kids each a cookie to "turn it up a bit". ::donning halo::

Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,081,698 times
Quote:

I would have gone to the manager and complained.

Or threatened to sue Starbucks for discrimination against families.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-30-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
That was Marylee's son.
Sorry I get my M names confused.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
It's not that hard. it's just laziness for the most part.
Uhm excuse me but do you know how much a 3 year old weighs?
And do you know how much a stroller weighs, with a 1 year in it, loaded down with winter coats, a diaper bag and snacks and then trying to put it with one hand...mind you its double seated stroller that the 3 year old does not want to sit in and the only option is to carry her so she doesn't run off because she "hates you" and "isn't you friend anymore" and "DOESN'T WANT TO".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Call me old fashioned but when you are with another person it's customary to converse and enjoy each other's company. I find it sad that so many people feel the need to constantly be on the phone. It's like they can't handle being alone, or can't handle the solitude of their own company or just enjoy their surroundings and live in the moment. I especially dislike the Blue tooths. Don't people realize that when they walk around talking on those things they just look like a crazy person?

I'm not talking about a quick call to check on something, or about the doctor who is on call and needs his phone with him or even texting (since that is private). Just the people who constantly need to be on their phones walking (or driving) around in a daze chatting away who seem totally disconnected from and oblivious to their surroundings.
And when I am with my friends I do spend time with them. If I get a text message, I read it and reply but it doesn't dominate my time with the other person.
When I am out alone I hate not having anyone to talk to. I'll call up friends via the bluetooth in my brand new car I got or Ill text while I am somewhere, like the DMV...
Do I really want to immerse myself in the atmosphere of the DMV?
Hell no.
Do I really want to immerse myself in being at the grocery store?
Not really?

I work in customer service and smile and small talk with people I don't know all day....I DO NOT WANT TO DO IT IN MY SPARE TIME.

When I actually do that stuff in public people look at me weird. Its on that list of things I shouldn't do outside of work...its right up there with straighten up while in other stores.

Trust me, I like my alone time. I have spent the past hour or so sitting in my room burning cd's for my new car and answering the occasional text but I haven't been death gripping and breathing heavy over my phone desperate for outside interaction.

I don't find anything wrong with people ignoring strangers out in public.
I don't like strangers.
Not engaging with the world around me because I don't know them and don't want to get to know most of them is just fine.

The less I see of most people the better off I am.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I would have gone to the manager and complained.

Or threatened to sue Starbucks for discrimination against families.
You'd threaten to sue Starbucks because one of it's patrons was a jerk? How is that discrimination? Or Starbuck's fault?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting