Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,923 times

Advertisements

Not sure what I'd do becuase I don't really want to think about it... but I hope they aren't stupid enough to try and do it while myself or her mother were around.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't think at that age that the best strategy is try to keep them on a chain. They'll do what they do, and if they're not responsible they're gonna get into trouble sooner or later. If it's just sex, well, that's what teenagers do, as long as they're doing it responsibly what's the problem? Even if it's say against your religion, it's up to your son or daughter to decide for him or herself whether they are ready (assuming they're at least of age) and if it's right. You can only protect them for so long really.
That's what teenagers do? No, it's not. I was playing with toys and imaginary battles at 13 and 14...maybe it hasn't hit you hard enough yet...imagine walking in and it's your 13 yr old daughter with a 15 yr old boy then tell me that you would react as calmly as you project yourself to be.

Also, teenagers don't know what they are doing, I lost my virginity at 17, but I used a condom, a lot of teenagers don't and then they end up pregnant, well who gets to foot the bill, well you do! And if you can't or won't then society has to and that's not fair for the rest of us that have to work for a living.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,727 times
I would talk with the kid and maybe take him/her to the doctor for STD checks. The talk would be friendly and there would be no consequences involved.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post

Of course I would encourage him to dump her and pay the girl to get an abortion.
Right. Nothing says "real men" like 16-year old Junior knocking up a girl then dumping her under Dad's direction.

(I hope you're not planning on him being the adult people look up to in 30 years. Because that's not going to happen.)

Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 AM

254 posts, read 419,111 times
...For the goodness of morality, my my.

Alright, you /have/ to stick it to the man. When I have kids, if I caught my 16 year old having sex? Know what I'd do? Get the offender out of my house.
Then I'd lecture her/her, but I'd give her/him an options. One, be a child while you still have time, or be an adult. As an adult, you shall be treated as an adult. You will pay 20% of the bills in /this/ house. I expect a paycheck. And know what? Adults don't go out and play around. They work, etc. So, know what? No cellphone. No T.V. I expect you to be up in arms in study from day to day, if you're not, I will PERSONALLY take you away from school and homeschool you..

That should be enough to scare the living daylights out of em.

However, wanna be a child? I ask one thing: A vow of selebecy until age 18, or atleast until you're out of my house, even though I believe sex is perserved for marriage. But teens won't wait for marriage, at all.

I'd do this from age 13-17. You have to be tough, instrict very, very tough love and morality into your family, and maybe we'll see change.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
...For the goodness of morality, my my.

Alright, you /have/ to stick it to the man. When I have kids, if I caught my 16 year old having sex? Know what I'd do? Get the offender out of my house.
Then I'd lecture her/her, but I'd give her/him an options. One, be a child while you still have time, or be an adult. As an adult, you shall be treated as an adult. You will pay 20% of the bills in /this/ house. I expect a paycheck. And know what? Adults don't go out and play around. They work, etc. So, know what? No cellphone. No T.V. I expect you to be up in arms in study from day to day, if you're not, I will PERSONALLY take you away from school and homeschool you..

That should be enough to scare the living daylights out of em.

However, wanna be a child? I ask one thing: A vow of selebecy until age 18, or atleast until you're out of my house, even though I believe sex is perserved for marriage. But teens won't wait for marriage, at all.

I'd do this from age 13-17. You have to be tough, instrict very, very tough love and morality into your family, and maybe we'll see change.
Adults don't go out and play around? They don't use phones or watch tv? What world are you living in?!

Anyway, came across this article today, seems somewhat relevant Dear Daughter: I Hope You Have Awesome Sex

Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 AM

254 posts, read 419,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't think at that age that the best strategy is try to keep them on a chain. They'll do what they do, and if they're not responsible they're gonna get into trouble sooner or later. If it's just sex, well, that's what teenagers do, as long as they're doing it responsibly what's the problem? Even if it's say against your religion, it's up to your son or daughter to decide for him or herself whether they are ready (assuming they're at least of age) and if it's right. You can only protect them for so long really.

This is what's wrong with America AND the world. This is what's wrong. The breakdown of traditionalism and the uprising of a secular state where 14 year olds are having sex with eachother. The problem is, number 1. SEX AT A YOUNG AGE, studies have found, have hurt those who's brains were devloping. Care about a child's intellect? You'll prevent them from having sex until 18. Want their IQ to be able to spike, want their talents to be able to be used? Stop stunting that by allowing them sex. What's the problem? Moderator Cut That's the problem.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-14-2013 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Argumentative

Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
This is what's wrong with America AND the world. This is what's wrong. The breakdown of traditionalism and the uprising of a secular state where 14 year olds are having sex with eachother. The problem is, number 1. SEX AT A YOUNG AGE, studies have found, have hurt those who's brains were devloping. Care about a child's intellect? You'll prevent them from having sex until 18. Want their IQ to be able to spike, want their talents to be able to be used? Stop stunting that by allowing them sex. What's the problem? People like /you/ are the problem. That's the problem.

I would love to see the studies that show brain development is curtailed by sex.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
Early teen sex may not be a path to delinquency, study shows

Quote:
The researchers analyzed data on 534 same-sex twin pairs in the United States gathered at three time points over a seven-year period. By examining surveys of twins, the investigators were able to eliminate the genetic and socio-economic variables that otherwise might influence the behaviors of adolescents. “We got a very surprising finding, particularly that early sex seems to forecast less antisocial behavior a few years later, rather than more,” said Kathryn Paige Harden, the study’s lead author and a Ph.D. candidate in clinical psychology at the University of Virginia.

There is a cultural assumption in the United States that if teens have sex early it is somehow bad for their psychological health,” Harden said. “But we actually found that teens who had sex earlier seem to have better relationships later. Now we want to find out why.”

Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Even if there is a correlation between early sex and "delinquency", it would be hard as hell to prove a causailty as the other poster indicated. Just strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting