Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You may choose to make what judgements you like about how you feel about the reasons, valid or not. You don't need to know a child intimately to know "I don't want to" is a bull**** reason for much of anything. And if that seems like a valid reason to cater to your kid, then I stand my my assessment that is the worst precious snowflake business I have ever heard.

I did not leave "I Don't want to" in my quoted list."

You need to read a little more carefully
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
eh....you raise your kids how you want and I'll raise mine how I want. Then we'll see in 20 years how they've turned out.
Probably not much different, despite what you many think now. If they are different, it won't be b/c you made Declan walk with you at 22 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You're wrong, I can think of lots of reasons:

they don't want to
it's easier to have parents drive them
parents find it easier not to argue with them so they drive them
they think 3 blocks is too far to walk
parents are afraid they'll be snatched up by a kidnapper
parents are too lazy to walk with them
here's a good one I heard- daughter didn't want to dirty her new shoes by walking
its too cold
it's windy
its hot
its humid
some other kid might bother me
would have to leave 5 minutes earlier
backpack is heavy
just ate breakfast and might get a stomach ache

There you go!
Do you go around asking people what their reasons for not having their kids walk to school? I'm amazed you've heard all this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
The amount of blanket assumptions being made in this thread about the current and future prospects for children based on if their parents allow them to be in a stroller as a toddler is astounding.
Let me tell you, it doesn't change as the age of the children change, either. Don't discuss your family finances with your 12 year old? S/he will end up living under a bridge, etc. If I had a dollar for every post about what would happen to my kids if I did "X", I could take them both out to lunch. Both are grown, and NOT living under bridges.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,637 times
My son has not been in a stroller since turning four, but if I was in a hurry he would be. He does ride in the cart at the grocery, because otherwise I am chasing him through the store with an infant in my arms and a two year old in the cart.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I actually just had to chime in here...

I recently bought a stroller for my upcoming baby and I was reading the reviews of it online- one mother who praised it positively did so because it was "big enough for her 6 year old"... huh? A 6 year old would be in First or maybe Second grade- what in the world would they be doing in a stroller!?

*shakes head*

Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
i still ride in a stroller.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I actually just had to chime in here...

I recently bought a stroller for my upcoming baby and I was reading the reviews of it online- one mother who praised it positively did so because it was "big enough for her 6 year old"... huh? A 6 year old would be in First or maybe Second grade- what in the world would they be doing in a stroller!?

*shakes head*
It is very possible that , that mother has a child with a disability and relies on the stroller.
Let's remember that we all should not assume that because we see an older child in a stroller , the child is spoiled & the parents are lazy..... There could be some very good reasons that child is still in a stroller.

When one of my closest friends was 8 yrs old, she had open heart surgery and for many months after that, her mom used both a stroller & wheelchair to move her around because she could only walk a few minutes at a time...

Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
When my kids were young I had a jogger stroller, which is kind of different and can handle older kids better. In general I did not use it, but if we were going someplace that would be very crowded (where a child could get lost or wander away) or a place where we had to walk so much the child would tire out and maybe need to sleep or not walk for awhile, we brought the stroller and used it. I think the oldest my kids were while in it was maybe 4 or 5.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 04-27-2013 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-27-2013, 07:22 PM

188 posts, read 376,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow, I see no reason for someone to necropost and resurrect my old thread that's over 2 years old, just so a bunch of moms can bash me again. Really? Nothing better to do?

I still stand by all my opinions.
I couldn't agree with your opinions more. I guess it's a "Jersey" thing as I see you work there. I'm a native. I have a 5 yr old, 2yr old and 7 wk old. The way DH and I work it is once you hit 24 months, you are walking, no stroller. If one of my kids act up and fuss, we have no problem leaving. If your feet can hit the floor, you are too old for a stroller. We went to the Houston zoo a few weeks back in 80 degree weather. The only one in a stroller was the 7 wk old.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
I couldn't agree with your opinions more. I guess it's a "Jersey" thing as I see you work there. I'm a native. I have a 5 yr old, 2yr old and 7 wk old. The way DH and I work it is once you hit 24 months, you are walking, no stroller. If one of my kids act up and fuss, we have no problem leaving. If your feet can hit the floor, you are too old for a stroller. We went to the Houston zoo a few weeks back in 80 degree weather. The only one in a stroller was the 7 wk old.
Hahaha, I'm a Jersey lifer, too. I am trying to remember even USING a stroller with my daughter, who is grown now. I had one of those collapsible Graco things, but it was uncomfortable to use because the handles weren't adjustable for use by a taller person and so I was always sort of bent over when I pushed it. Once she could walk, there was no way she wanted to be in the stroller anyway.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I did not leave "I Don't want to" in my quoted list."

You need to read a little more carefully
The list was functionally equivalent to I don't want to to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting